Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW Member with lifted Jeep - Need Advice on few issues --- PICS INSIDE

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default NEW Member with lifted Jeep - Need Advice on few issues --- PICS INSIDE

im new to the cherokee world, ive had alot of lifted trucks and suvs but never a cherokee so i have alot to learn.. im from kentucky and just picked up a DD 1990 Cherokee with the 4.0 and a auto tranny.. as far as i know all thats done is a 4.5 lift (guy said it was a super lift??) edelbrock dual chamber shocks in front, rusts shocks in the rear and 32in tires...

i have researched alot on here today about death wobble and trying to fix mine. it drives stright and tight as can be at all speeds BUT everytime you hit a bump it gets a lil crazy and shakes insanly.. i jacked the front end up and its completly tight and everything is either new or newer looking. it has no steering stablizer or sway bar though. i think i might order the track bar and steering stablizer from kevins off road and see what it does for me... any other suggestions.

also the jeep is idling really low and when you come to a stop or turn is dies sometimes. i have already cleaned the throttle body on it and did a full tune up. oh and its really hard to start in the mornings or when its cold it takes about a minute of cranking for it to start.

another issue is the jeep has no power hardly at all (it doesnt miss or smoke or have issues) it just has no power and you think an inline 6 only pushing 32s would still have some get up and go but it doesnt.

any help would be appreciated

soon to come: KOR track bar and stablizer, taking flares off, making half doors, making a custom front and rear bumper tied into frame with winch and D hooks... open to other suggestions

Name:  4444.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  145.8 KB
Name:  3333.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  163.7 KB
Name:  2222.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  166.9 KB
Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  93.1 KB
Name:  4444444.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  170.9 KB
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

In that last pic it looks like your drivers front tire sticks out kinda further than your rear.

Is one wheel up front oit further than the other?

It sounds like your trac bar and drag link arent lined up, can you get a pic of your front end, below the bumper?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
In that last pic it looks like your drivers front tire sticks out kinda further than your rear.

Is one wheel up front oit further than the other?

It sounds like your trac bar and drag link arent lined up, can you get a pic of your front end, below the bumper?
yes ill run out and get a picture soon and you know now that you mention it i think the driver front may stick out a lil further but both the fronts stick out further then the rears..
Old 03-29-2012, 09:22 AM

i think it may also look like it sticks out further because the fender is bent in..
Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Try and see if the axle is centered under the truck compared to the frame rails underneath.

If not, thats hinting at the issue.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 AM

im not sure if these pics will help best i could get while at work... i looked and it does appear the driver side may stick out a tad further but i couldnt tell if it was because the fender.. under neath appeared it lined up good though but could be wrong..

Name:  54515345.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  145.3 KB
Name:  52345135.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  77.9 KB
Name:  4515125.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  127.3 KB
Name:  252435123452.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  77.7 KB
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 AM

also it has a drop pitman on it i have read it should be removed??? even tho it came with the lift kit?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:18 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

My opinion do not go with Kevins Offroad products.....super unhappy with mine (steering stabilizer and steering box brace) ended up taking both off the jeep and went with RC stabilizer and Rustys box brace.....just my .02 bro dont want you to waste your money like I did
Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 6 4.0

Hey, so Im totally new and non mechanical, but I did have the dying problem that you mentioned.
I had two issues contributing to that.
1. Bad battery terminals, not making good contact (especially when cold)
2. Bad connecter going to controller system box. It would wiggle in and out causing it to run bad!!

Not sure if it relates in any way to what you have, but just something I ran into.. Welcome to the Forum and NICE Jeep!!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by withoutfear33
i think it may also look like it sticks out further because the fender is bent in..
Before you do anything else , I think you should get an adjustable track bar. If your DW is caused by bumps rather then speed it is most likely your track bar. It might just be the bushing, but since your axle is not centered that would mean that due to the lift the trackbar is "pulling the axle to the left. DW is really annoying to fix sometimes and I am not 100% sure this will fix eveerything but you have track bar issues for sure. Get a double sheer adjustable one, and stay away from Rough Country trackbars. My .02
Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Just looked at your pics again. To me it looks like the axle is shifted for sure. The coils (especially the passenger one) look like they are tilted.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

A bunch of good advice alreay on the thread.

Did you consider adding a steering stabilizer?

Originally Posted by withoutfear33
im not sure if these pics will help best i could get while at work... i looked and it does appear the driver side may stick out a tad further but i couldnt tell if it was because the fender.. under neath appeared it lined up good though but could be wrong..
Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 PM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by helmut
Before you do anything else , I think you should get an adjustable track bar. If your DW is caused by bumps rather then speed it is most likely your track bar. It might just be the bushing, but since your axle is not centered that would mean that due to the lift the trackbar is "pulling the axle to the left. DW is really annoying to fix sometimes and I am not 100% sure this will fix eveerything but you have track bar issues for sure. Get a double sheer adjustable one, and stay away from Rough Country trackbars. My .02
I think he hit it on the head. If that trackbar is stock and the mount wasn't relocated it would bring the axle over towards the driver-side. Definitely get an adjustable one.

As for your DW
The new trackbar with new bushings should help, as well as a steering stabilizer.
You may also want to check/replace/upgrade your control arms or bushings as they can have a big effect on DW and if they are stock, the lowers will be a bit short for sure.
Also doesn't hurt to rotate the tires or get them re-balanced, as that can cause DW as well.

For your power issue

When you cleaned the throttle body did you also clean the Throttle Position sensor and IAC. Specifically the IAC sensor and its port on the throttle body.
You could also try running some Seafoam through your intake, I have always had good luck with that.

Some other things you could do include, cleaning your fuel injectors, either with cleaner through the gas, or actually removing them and cleaning them. Also the O2 sensor loves to play games and doesn't always throw a code, so that might be something to consider replacing, especially if its original.

Good Luck, and nice Jeep!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Eep-xj
Hey, so Im totally new and non mechanical, but I did have the dying problem that you mentioned.
I had two issues contributing to that.
1. Bad battery terminals, not making good contact (especially when cold)
2. Bad connecter going to controller system box. It would wiggle in and out causing it to run bad!!

Not sure if it relates in any way to what you have, but just something I ran into.. Welcome to the Forum and NICE Jeep!!!!
x2. When I first got my XJ it had a running/idling problem, but was alright while driving. The battery clamps looked pretty bad so I replaced them. While doing so I noticed that one of the battery posts was loose and starting to pull out from inside the battery.. runs great after a new battery was installed with the clamps.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

i had some dw without sway bars and wen i put them back on it settled it down and i just rebalanced my front wheels at work today and it drove great on the way home so could help u to put some discos on and get your wheels up front balanced

Quick Reply: NEW Member with lifted Jeep - Need Advice on few issues --- PICS INSIDE