Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member, Lifted Jeep, all over the place on this!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 'The Invincible' 4.0
Default New member, Lifted Jeep, all over the place on this!

Hey guys I picked up a 99 XJ last November. She's had some minor issues (leaks, heater core) which I have been working on. One sound I have no idea is when I am braking, sometimes turning around 15-10 mph. I can feel the vibration in my wheels (probably mud tires) and this is always followed my a twang-ish sound which is really loud. I have posted on a few forums with no real solution.

I have also replace my wheel hubs and removed my sway bar but the sound continues. Now I am wondering if it's a heat shield (per member on Jeep Forum) if I have under the hood or if it's my exhaust. Anyways here is some videos I made of it. Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 11-17-2013, 05:02 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0 H.O

I had a similar problem is ended being my transfer case. Put it up on some jack stands put in gear see if you can figure out where the sound is coming from.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:12 PM

What was wrong with your transfer case?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 PM

Year: 95
Engine: 4.0 H.O

I'm not exactly sure what was wrong with the transfer case. When I put my Jeep up on jack stands the noise is coming from the transfer case. I had a spare transfer case so I swap it out and the noise stoped.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

it sounds to me like the vibration of the tires is causing the rattle. can you make it happen by just driving at a certain slow speed or does it only happen when slowing?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

First off, welcome & your XJ looks good.

I had a similar noise on my VW, I ended up tearing of all the heater shields on the exhaust and it appeared that was the issue. Give that a try, heater shields don't matter anyways since you're lifted.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by bheath
it sounds to me like the vibration of the tires is causing the rattle. can you make it happen by just driving at a certain slow speed or does it only happen when slowing?
Yes I agree. It totally happens at random only at slow speeds but if I brake hard from 30mph I can basically recreate it everytime.

Originally Posted by caronaxtr
First off, welcome & your XJ looks good.

I had a similar noise on my VW, I ended up tearing of all the heater shields on the exhaust and it appeared that was the issue. Give that a try, heater shields don't matter anyways since you're lifted.

Good luck.
Appreciate it the compliment! To my knowledge there is only one heater shield above the muffler but if there are more please let me know. Makes sense since it sounds like flimsy metal.

I am also wondering if it's possible my brake shields but I feel like I would be hearing metal on metal constantly, unless my ball joints nuts press against it or something.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bangarang
Yes I agree. It totally happens at random only at slow speeds but if I brake hard from 30mph I can basically recreate it everytime.

Appreciate it the compliment! To my knowledge there is only one heater shield above the muffler but if there are more please let me know. Makes sense since it sounds like flimsy metal.

I am also wondering if it's possible my brake shields but I feel like I would be hearing metal on metal constantly, unless my ball joints nuts press against it or something.
I think you are on the right track. check any kind of loose metal like the brake shields.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Are you talking about that creaking sound when you go over that hump? That sounds like either a bad ball joint or track bar
Old 11-17-2013, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Check that cat heat shield, mine rattled for a while until i ripped it off and it stopped. Also your exhaust can be mounted higher and shouldn't be that low
Old 11-17-2013, 11:12 PM
CF Veteran

His exhaust is that low probably due to a tc drop. atleast that's what happened to mine. so I torched the mounting rod that slides into the tc crossmember and flipped it over. back to stock height now.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by rompnXJ
Are you talking about that creaking sound when you go over that hump? That sounds like either a bad ball joint or track bar
No sir the twang/rattle however you describe it, however the PO replaced the ball joints but the track bar probably needs a look over.

Originally Posted by bheath
His exhaust is that low probably due to a tc drop. atleast that's what happened to mine. so I torched the mounting rod that slides into the tc crossmember and flipped it over. back to stock height now.
Yes, that's exactly what it is...

(Note to self, exhaust is rusted to hell replace it)

The first owner took really good care of her from what I can tell and did it right. I am the third owner so the mod list has vanished but I should really track down the guy. So far I've found ACOS Coilovers, SYO, Rough Country Shocks, double cardan rear driveshaft and lca relocation brackets. No long arm kit however but it's all good.

Last edited by Bangarang; 11-18-2013 at 07:54 AM.