Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new lift need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: rebuilt straight 6
Default new lift need help

So im looking at getting a new lift for my jeep. i bought it pre lifted with a 3.5in lift and some other mods. i want to go up to a 4.5in lift but i found out that my rear axle mounts have been swapped out so they arnt stock anymore, they now sit level to the axle. much like these http://www.quadratec.com/products/16...googlemerchant but slightly different.

here is a picture of mine if that helps
new lift need help-imag0061.jpg

i was wondering if there is a lift with different shocks that is made to fit with these different mounts. i know that these mounts are fairly common but im not sure how to lift it more without buying the lift piece by piece.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

well iirc that will move the mounts up around 2"

so you would need shocks that are 2" shorter than your lift... I hope that makes sense
Old 06-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: rebuilt straight 6

that does make sense, it is actually a 4in difference, but what i need to know is if i need to buy the shocks separately or is there a lift i can buy that comes with the shorter shocks. any ideas?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Buy the shocks separately. You will have to MEASURE to determine correct size.. OR tell the vendor you buy from about the mount modification. They may know a generic size for that mod. I recommend measuring for, Extended and Collapsed, Flexed lengths for the shocks. Measuring is the ONLY way to get the truly correct shocks. Unfortunately this means installing the filt BEFORE you buy shocks. You currnt shocks should work on the street, but willnot be good for offroad. So no test, wheeling, Sorry.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Buy the shocks separately. You will have to MEASURE to determine correct size.. OR tell the vendor you buy from about the mount modification. They may know a generic size for that mod. I recommend measuring for, Extended and Collapsed, Flexed lengths for the shocks. Measuring is the ONLY way to get the truly correct shocks. Unfortunately this means installing the filt BEFORE you buy shocks. You currnt shocks should work on the street, but willnot be good for offroad. So no test, wheeling, Sorry.
Brilliant Advice!!
Measure first, then buy.