Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy, Lots of questions, even more ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Hello everyone. I bought a 93 Grand Cherokee for $350 with the idea of fixing it and building it up a bit. I bought it knowing it had a blown headgasket and/or cracked head. But I was pretty stoked to have it for a project to get me started in automotive work. Now I'm in the financial state to actually put energy and time into learning a skill so I'd like to give it a shot.

I am starting pretty new to engine repair and Jeeps in general. I have practical mechanical skill, but little experience above basic vehicle up-keep and regular maintanence. I suspect I'll have to learn quite a bit and make many mistakes in the process, but I'd like to get this thing running.

First things first, I would like to know if this is something I could manage to do myself with a good set of tools, plenty of time and a proper tutorial? Or am I going to need the help of someone with experience doing this repair?

Also, I have access to a an engine lift and the Jeep has a lot of miles. Would it be a good idea to take the block out and rebuild it while I'm checking the head/gasket? Is this something I could handle myself or with the aid of someone who has rebuilt an engine before?

Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by Tim Foolery; 11-26-2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're going to want a goal first and foremost so you're not wasting your time on doing things that aren't in your vision.
And you also need a haynes/chilton service manual...
Good Luck
Old 11-26-2011, 08:34 AM

I see. Well I have a central goal but many try to deture me from it. I want to build it like a street vehicle, sort of like a muscle car. Lower it and tighten the suspension, put good set of wheels/tires on it, and most likely drop another engine into it if the 4.0 doesn't suit my driving preferences (I've never driven it without the problem, so I'm not sure how it drives). This in the distant future depending on what my options are. This may even be something I'd like to drift or drag race as that is popular in my area and I'd like a vehicle that stands out from the tuner cars. I think the body style would look good lowered and think I could make it look really slick and clean.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim Foolery
I see. Well I have a central goal but many try to deture me from it. I want to build it like a street vehicle, sort of like a muscle car. Lower it and tighten the suspension, put good set of wheels/tires on it, and most likely drop another engine into it if the 4.0 doesn't suit my driving preferences (I've never driven it without the problem, so I'm not sure how it drives). This in the distant future depending on what my options are. This may even be something I'd like to drift or drag race as that is popular in my area and I'd like a vehicle that stands out from the tuner cars. I think the body style would look good lowered and think I could make it look really slick and clean.
I don't think I would use the 4L if you are making it into a muscle car. You might look into other engines before you fix that one.

EDIT: To be certain, I'd go drive someone else's.

Last edited by mr white; 11-26-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

Lol I think there are some people on here that took that route but the vast majority of members here lift their jeeps and put bigger tires on them. If you do some looking around you can; however, find a lot of info on mechanical and engine repairs. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2011, 09:09 AM

Thanks guys, you've given my build a little hope lol. I would like to do a swap and then rebuild the 4.0 for the experience. Where can I find what engines/transmisions will go into my cherokee with a little work?

I understand that I'll be amongst the minority of jeep owners and that I'm not using it to the potential of it's intended off roading abilities, but if I finish I think my Jeep will be something to behold.

Last edited by Tim Foolery; 11-26-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

If ur looking to get more power out of it, best way is to rebuild and stroke it there are other ways such as boosting it but requires alot of work and $$. Or u can swap in a v8. They sell lowering kits or GC so that would be easy.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L straight 6

Welcome to the Jeep world and good luck with that project!!! Keep is posted.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000

You might like thread for ideas: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/be...-troll-109926/
Old 11-26-2011, 09:52 AM

Year: 1988

Welcome and good luck. My first job was rebuilding the head and manifold gaskets. That was the first thing I ever did working on a car. Very useful hint: LABEL EVERYTHING! that is a good starting point, and follow the instruction from your chioltons or haynes, and what is online. The online Videos help a lot.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:38 AM

Tanks for the words of wisdom CPL! I was told that mixing the spark plug wiring and losing order of things is one of the main mess-ups common with this thing for those new to vehicle maintanence. I'm looking for it, where can find the best competition level gasket kit, and what else can I replace while the head is off? I'm going to be having my Jeep towed here Friday and order the parts the following Friday, I'll be posting tons of comments and questions I'm sure.

I find that build really interesting and quite impressive, but far out of my skill level and even full understanding. I also think it's quite unattractive. Cool as can be, but ugly kinda ugly. I'm thinking in the end I'd like it to look a little more a respectable SUV just more street friendly. The roads around here are aweful, but I the only offroading intend to do in the most basic sense.

Well thanks for the input, I'll post picks when I get it to the hosue.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 242CID I-6

the 4.0 isn't a race engine but you could have some fun with it. cuz in the early day of hot rodding they only had straight 6's and 8's. but if you wanna play be prepared to pay engine swaps are time consuming and and pricy (sometimes)