Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add-A-Leaf sag?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Add-A-Leaf sag?

Ok so about 6 months ago I installed a 2" budget lift.(shackles and spacers)
within a month my leaf springs were bent backwards and sagging really bad.
So I installed a skyjacker full length add-a-leaf. it stated that it would give you "up to 2 inches of lift" so I I went from 2 1/2 of sag to raked 2" in the back. I do not mind a little bit of rake but that is alot and it looks king of funny.I thought I have read that the AAL will sag quite a bit over time (like a month or so) so I added 300 lbs of softer salt in the back to level it out. looks great now. so my long winded question is will it sag to level or am I going to have to put shorter shackles in? I just bought 235/75/15 tires so I do not want to go taller in the front (yet) until these tires are toast.
thoughts?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6

Originally Posted by Btommy
Ok so about 6 months ago I installed a 2" budget lift.(shackles and spacers)
within a month my leaf springs were bent backwards and sagging really bad.
So I installed a skyjacker full length add-a-leaf. it stated that it would give you "up to 2 inches of lift" so I I went from 2 1/2 of sag to raked 2" in the back. I do not mind a little bit of rake but that is alot and it looks king of funny.I thought I have read that the AAL will sag quite a bit over time (like a month or so) so I added 300 lbs of softer salt in the back to level it out. looks great now. so my long winded question is will it sag to level or am I going to have to put shorter shackles in? I just bought 235/75/15 tires so I do not want to go taller in the front (yet) until these tires are toast.
thoughts?

Traditionally AAL will sag over time regardless. I do think, however, that depends a good deal on how well your existing leafs were holding up prior to adding the AAL. If your XJ is super low mileage than essentially you have almost new leafs to start with as opposed to an XJ with over 200K on it.....those leafs have seen better days and adding a leaf will only be a temporary fix.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

if your stock springs were shot as bad as you say, and you put an add a leaf in it, that add a leaf is the only good leaf in the whole pack, and it won't be for long.