Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need input 93 xj

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default need input 93 xj

I've got a 93 xj. All stock except zj tie rod. I've had a horrible case of death wobble since I got it. I've got about $1,500 and I was going to sell the jeep and buy something different. I'd like to keep the jeep and lift it about 4 inches eventually, however, I hate to spend the money on ball joints, tre's, hubs, etc, and still have death wobble. I have to take the interstate to work so I can't afford death wobble. What do you guys think? Sell it and be safe or spend the money and hope it fixes it. This jeep is 20 years old and PO did no maintenance what so ever, so if I'm going to rebuild the front steering/suspension I'd like to do it all at once and be done with it.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L stroker

Its all up to you man, but if it were me personally id just dump it. If you want to completely eliminate wobble and lift it ext. And have it mechanically sound you're looking at bustin out thousands. Especially since you said the PO didn't maintain it. I mean its probably all original 93 parts man. Jeeps are tough man, as with all pieces of machinery those small pieces wear out. Things break. Now if your a mechanical guru and have unlimited coin well then maybe.. but if you want a dependable daily driver and your not a mechanical expert and dont want to sink $$$. Find something else. I speak from experience. Good luck to ya
Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Or climb underneath and see whats loose .
Old 01-17-2013, 05:37 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L Renix and tube header

For a few hundred bucks you can fix the death wobble and then you're good to go. Spend the cash to fix the death wobble, then add lift with what's left over.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 PM

its always best to check everything and see whats bad it could be a $50 fix or $500 id have someone look at it or get someone to turn the wheel while you look underneath you can rule out a few things within a few mins. but if you only have $1500 to buy another car to replace the jeep id say keep the jeep cause how much better of a car can you get for $1500.. and new cars i think theyre overrated
Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L HO

Hear ye hear ye
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Id get it checked out to see whats wrong with it. Most death wobble causes can be fixed fairly easily. Id suspect the trac-bar as being the culprit though.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jeepster1993
its always best to check everything and see whats bad it could be a $50 fix or $500 id have someone look at it or get someone to turn the wheel while you look underneath you can rule out a few things within a few mins. but if you only have $1500 to buy another car to replace the jeep id say keep the jeep cause how much better of a car can you get for $1500.. and new cars i think theyre overrated
I meant sell the jeep and put that with the 1500.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by sam24th
Id get it checked out to see whats wrong with it. Most death wobble causes can be fixed fairly easily. Id suspect the trac-bar as being the culprit though.
Yeah I know the hole in the mount is wallowed out, but just barely. And I've tried to wiggle the wheels to check the ball joints, and although they look kinda ****ty, I can't see them moving. How would I go about finding someone that knows what they're talking about when it comes to xj's? There's a shop that specializes in jeeps down the road but they said to align it they had to put some kind of caster plates or something to fix it. Anyone ever heard of this?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by RobG
Yeah I know the hole in the mount is wallowed out, but just barely. And I've tried to wiggle the wheels to check the ball joints, and although they look kinda ****ty, I can't see them moving. How would I go about finding someone that knows what they're talking about when it comes to xj's? There's a shop that specializes in jeeps down the road but they said to align it they had to put some kind of caster plates or something to fix it. Anyone ever heard of this?
Heres a list of things Id check and the things I do to check for death wobble issues on my truck:

1) trac-bar
Have a friend, parent or whatever sit in the driver's seat. (jeep should be sitting on ground flat. Have the helper steer the steering wheel side to side while you look under the jeep. Check where the trac-bar mounts to the frame mount for play. Check the mount itself for looseness as this is a possibility. Also check axle side mount.

2) Ball joints
To check ball joints and axle hubs I usually place the jeep on jackstands (stands under axle and supporting it on axle) and grab the tire with my hands and try to wiggle it a bit. If there is play then your hub or ball joints are probably bad.

3) steering linkage (tie rod ends)
To check steering linkage play, have someone turn the steering wheel side to side while you are under it and look for play on the components. basically do the same thing as you would with the trac-bar except check the tie rod ends.

4)Steering box/mount
This actually happened to me and caused part of my death wobble. the bolts on the steering box were loose causing it to flop around a bit. Id just get underneth the truck and tighten down the bolts for safe measure. IIRC its 3 bolts driver side "framerail" behind bumper.

5) Steering Stabilizer
Theoretically this only helps mask death wobble. It is not a fix and I would not suggest just putting a bigger stabilizer on it. In theory you should be able to drive the jeep without a stabilizer at all and have zero death wobble. But if your factory one is worn out Id replace it cause its cheap and might help a tad bit.

7) Alignment
Basically the last thing i would check personally and could very well be the cause of your wobble. You can actually set your alignment at home which is what I do. It takes some time but really only requires basic tools and measuring tape. go-jeep has a very good writeup for this is you would like me to find it for you.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by sam24th

Heres a list of things Id check and the things I do to check for death wobble issues on my truck:

1) trac-bar
Have a friend, parent or whatever sit in the driver's seat. (jeep should be sitting on ground flat. Have the helper steer the steering wheel side to side while you look under the jeep. Check where the trac-bar mounts to the frame mount for play. Check the mount itself for looseness as this is a possibility. Also check axle side mount.

2) Ball joints
To check ball joints and axle hubs I usually place the jeep on jackstands (stands under axle and supporting it on axle) and grab the tire with my hands and try to wiggle it a bit. If there is play then your hub or ball joints are probably bad.

3) steering linkage (tie rod ends)
To check steering linkage play, have someone turn the steering wheel side to side while you are under it and look for play on the components. basically do the same thing as you would with the trac-bar except check the tie rod ends.

4)Steering box/mount
This actually happened to me and caused part of my death wobble. the bolts on the steering box were loose causing it to flop around a bit. Id just get underneth the truck and tighten down the bolts for safe measure. IIRC its 3 bolts driver side "framerail" behind bumper.

5) Steering Stabilizer
Theoretically this only helps mask death wobble. It is not a fix and I would not suggest just putting a bigger stabilizer on it. In theory you should be able to drive the jeep without a stabilizer at all and have zero death wobble. But if your factory one is worn out Id replace it cause its cheap and might help a tad bit.

7) Alignment
Basically the last thing i would check personally and could very well be the cause of your wobble. You can actually set your alignment at home which is what I do. It takes some time but really only requires basic tools and measuring tape. go-jeep has a very good writeup for this is you would like me to find it for you.
I've tried to check ball joints, no wiggle. Tightened steering box to frame. Replaced stabilizer. And the guys want $140 for an alignment and spoke of some caster plates or something that I've never heard of. None has helped and I don't want to spend $140 for it not to be fixed.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by RobG
I've tried to check ball joints, no wiggle. Tightened steering box to frame. Replaced stabilizer. And the guys want $140 for an alignment and spoke of some caster plates or something that I've never heard of. None has helped and I don't want to spend $140 for it not to be fixed.
Read this writeup. Try it and see how it works for you.
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm
Old 01-17-2013, 10:44 PM

Thank you, I will try that this weekend.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Control arm bushing ok ?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:34 AM

Ehh....Idk how to check it for play but it looks all dry rotted. All of the ca bushings look that way. I doubt they've ever been changed.