Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Instillation questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lift Instillation questions

I am in the process of buying a rough country 3' suspension lift and thinking about installing it myself. Is there anything I should watch out for so I don't disrupt the structural integrity of my jeep? Just some helpfull tips and hints would be nice, I know the kit itself comes with instructions but I would just like some user experience. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Just start spraying every bolt with pb blaster and liquid wrench. Loosen every bolt by breaker bar first before you put any power tools on them, get new U-bolts, get an adjustable track bar and get a grinder just in case you need to cut a bolt for the leaf springs, that's all I can think of now besides getting an alignment done after the lift.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 XJ
Engine: 4.8L Stroker

Just be patient, take your time. Don't rush things, that's how you snap bolts off. I live in Michigan, the heart of salt and brine country in the winter. I soaked my stuff with Aerokroil and I only broke my upper shick bolts. They did not come out easy. But nothing Major broke. I also chose to replace most of the hardware.

I had to have a buddy come help get the front together. Sometimes it's tough to get the holes to all line up once the springs are in place. And be generous with the anti seize when you reassemble in case you ever have to take it apart again!!

Last edited by SpruceJedi; 01-17-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:56 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Replacing the components for the lift up front shouldn't be too difficult. You will need a spring compressor to remove/install the coil springs.

The rear parts may be more time consuming depending on luck haha! Some of the areas to be careful are the upper shock mount bolts, and the front bolts for the leaf springs.

As said above, take your time with the install as well as spraying all associated bolts/nuts a day or so prior to install.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 PM

Thank you for the prompt replys! Quality information here!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

You cant use enough pb blaster. I started blasting everthing twice a day for 3 weeks and had zero issues on my 89. I'd plan on spending a whole weekend just in case things go wrong.
I didn't use a spring compressor, just unbolted sway bar, lower arms, brakes from the body, and track bar. Lifted the truck till the springs unloaded and just pulled them out and put the new ones in.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L I6

I did the same thing as rolltider, although I would do one side at a time because it can be difficult to the line the LCA's back up. Also while you have everything apart you might want to consider if you need to replace any bushings, why take it apart twice..

Have a buddy around too! and dont forget to undo the trac bar lol
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000 XJ
Engine: 4.8L Stroker

Air chisel is key for replacing those bushings. Once you get them moving you have won. May as well replace them while you are in there. They are cheap and it will never be easier.