Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Electrical Grounding (Kit)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Need help with Electrical Grounding (Kit)

Hey All,

So, I am going to make a grounding kit for my XJ. I know that some of you are skeptical about these. I had a small business selling these on the Ford Probe forum. They, without a doubt, improved gas mileage significantly. I went from 24-26 highway to 30. With the Ford, it was a little easier to find grounding points. I need help founding electrical components grounding points in the Jeep. I know there is one next to the negative and one in the back of the block on the top near the valve cover gasket. I would like to also get the alternator and starter if possible. Could anyone lend their Jeep knowledge to help me out?

As a side note, I will not be going into business again, but be supplying free photos and instructions for all to use as well as my personal results with the kit. I dig the whole Jeep community and people paying it forward.

Thanks in advance!

Michael
Old 05-24-2011, 09:49 PM

Any body??? I thought I would get a lot more response than this!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

I all ready use the boday of my rig as a ground... not sure what you are talking about when you say grounding kit. I relocated my battery to the rear of my rig... so I welded a bolt back there and grounded my battery there. Up front I took the old negative cable and mounted it to the inner fenders....
Old 05-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999 sport 4x4
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by quasnemj
Hey All,

So, I am going to make a grounding kit for my XJ. I know that some of you are skeptical about these. I had a small business selling these on the Ford Probe forum. They, without a doubt, improved gas mileage significantly. I went from 24-26 highway to 30. With the Ford, it was a little easier to find grounding points. I need help founding electrical components grounding points in the Jeep. I know there is one next to the negative and one in the back of the block on the top near the valve cover gasket. I would like to also get the alternator and starter if possible. Could anyone lend their Jeep knowledge to help me out?

As a side note, I will not be going into business again, but be supplying free photos and instructions for all to use as well as my personal results with the kit. I dig the whole Jeep community and people paying it forward.

Thanks in advance!

Michael
I dig it...I would change the crappy braid ground strap on the fire wall to head , also bigger ground on the battery...and then battery to fender area...I know what you mean...did this 10 years ago on my Maxima and got like way brighter lights...picked up about 1-2 mpg and also shifted smoother and had a little more pep...get your wire here: lappusa.com I make wire for a living...we have good stuff ...best on the market...mention CF forums and i will hook you up with much better pricing.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 AM

Ping pong - different situation with you. Not sure what I would do for that other than having huge wires running to the back.

DaveD - I already have some wire from when I made them before. I do need the connectors that go on the end, have 4 gauge wire. Also need to upgrade the battery terminal itself. Will pass on your link to anyone that needs wire
Old 09-04-2011, 10:09 PM

Still looking for ideas. Moving from east coast to west coast by the end of October and would like to get this done by then. So far I only have:

Battery to body
Engine block/valve cover gasket to battery

I am also thinking, but need recommendations on placement for:

Starter
Alternator
Headlights
Fog lights
1 more spot on the block

Suggestions for more spots welcome!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:41 PM

Found a good threa with some ideas. Ordered terminals now. Will also be replacing positive battery wires too! Should be a huge improvement!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Click the link in my sig, on that site there is a chart w/lengths and all. I did the 5 main wire upgrade from 5-90, noticed brighter headlights and smoother idling. Definately reccomended.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 343 Likes on 233 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Depending on where on the east coast you are, You're welcome to come look at my jeep. I recently upgraded my battery cable to 4g, So my stock battery to block and body wires are already upgraded.

If I were to do this, I'd use the following..

The upper bolt on the starter, The stock ground stud on the Alt just with a bigger wire, One of the engine mount bolts on the block - likely on the Drivers side as the passenger side will already have the stock ground point, the new starter ground and larger alt ground wire.

I'd leave the headlights alone, mainly because I already run an after market harness for them and my "fog" lights are on their own harness as well.

Last edited by Veeb0rg; 09-18-2011 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I will also be doing the positive wires now. So. Suggestions for that are also welcome!

Veeborg, I am in Windsor, Ct. Where are you ?

I will look into upgrading my headlight harness now
Old 09-22-2011, 01:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 343 Likes on 233 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by quasnemj
Thanks for the feedback. I will also be doing the positive wires now. So. Suggestions for that are also welcome!

Veeborg, I am in Windsor, Ct. Where are you ?

I will look into upgrading my headlight harness now
Maryland.

I have an EAautoworks head light harness, Its plug and play.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:49 AM

Veeborg,

Is this the one you have?

Harness

Would I also need this?

Harness 2