Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help asap, Durango steering box swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Quick question, I've heard you can install a Durango steering box in an XJ... is that a bolt in replacement or does it require modifying anything? Does it matter what year Durango and does it need to be a certain motor, 4wd or 2wd, etc; or are their steering boxes all the same?

My steering seems to be getting worse by the day and with a sale at the junkyard and clear weather I think I better try and grab a new box today. I can pull one from an XJ but I know there is a Durango there too, wondering if that's the way to go.

Normally I'd just search but I'm not near a computer, posting from my phone, and time is kind of an issue. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

durango box is an easy swap. just need longer bolts and some washers. pull the box from a 98-99 V8 4wd durango that does NOT have the plow option

as far as I know, all 98-99 durango's were 4wd and v8
Old 10-31-2011, 02:03 PM

Most durangos are rack and pinion, I think it's '97 or '98 that they weren't.
I've read that a few of the durango boxes are a different ratio too, but not sure which ones.
My humble opinion, as one who has a junkyard steering box... get a remanufactured one. It sucks doing a steering box again and again, and there's a point where its not saving money anymore.
It bolts right in, to the 3 holes in your unibody rail. I would suggest adding or changing the spacer to the JCR spacer or the C-Rok as an upgrade to the aluminum thing that comes stock on the XJ.
You'll probably have to adjust your drag link then, to center your steering wheel.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L

Dang, I think its an '01 in the yard I'm headed to, according to their website anyway. I'll guess I'll know in about 20 minutes wether it has a box or a rack & pinion. If it doesn't have a box hopefully one of their XJ's will have a good one. I'd love to get a rebuilt box and add a brace but money's tight at the moment and I just need it to be safe so I can get around...