Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice, Not sure where to start with modifications

Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need Advice, Not sure where to start with modifications

I am new to the forum and have used the search feature to get some information before posting, but I just really don't know where to start. I have a pretty much stock 2000 Sport and the suspension is starting to sag a bit. Looking to upgrade to a complete suspension lift. My limitations right now are 33x12.5" tires and I am looking to keep this under $1500 for the lift. I am not sure how big of a lift to put on or what size tires I should use. The 33x12.5" is a limitation given by New York State on the beach driving permit, but I do not need to go that big. I will be driving mostly on the beach to get me to my fishing spots. Most spots are sand, but there are some areas that are extremely rocky that I will be driving. I will also be doing some mild off-roading for hunting purposes.

I started off looking at the Old Man Emu system as it was recommended by a friend, but I am unsure which direction to go. I figured I would ask all the knowledgeable people on this forum that are out 4wheeling all the time for some help to get started.

Thanks guys. I know there are a ton of threads with lift recommendations on this site, but its all so confusing to me on how big to go for what I want to do.

Jon
Old 04-20-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993

I would go 3" lift and 31's and a rear diff locker. Even at 3" lift theres a good chance you will need a transfercase drop or SYE.

Willing to do any fender trimming?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:04 PM

I run a rustys 4.5" and 33" 12.50. I had to trim the front finders but that is because I don't run a sway bar. Make sure you get leaf packs for the rear you don't want an add a leaf. The lift was $1600 but that included tires and wheels (31 9.50).
Old 04-20-2011, 08:06 PM

[QUOTE="Justajeep"]I run a rustys 4.5" and 33" 12.50. I had to trim the front finders but that is because I don't run a sway bar. Make sure you get leaf packs for the rear you don't want an add a leaf. The lift was $1600 but that included tires and wheels (31 9.50). Came with transfer case drop as well.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: inline 6

for what you what i would go with a 3' lift with 31's because you do not need to get a SYE. for the lift check out BDS they are one of the best lifts out the with the best warranty around here is the link i have been running it for years
http://bds-suspension.com/product?ma=7&mo=29&ty=38&yr=1984-2001
Old 04-20-2011, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I am willing to cut my fenders if need be. I am really liking the flares that I have seen browsing the fabrication forum and I am debating cutting my stock flares off and fabricating my own.

I really like the Rusty's kits price including the tires and new rims, and it has everything that I need to replace. I really need to get a kit with new springs, rear leafs, and shocks since these are currently pretty shot, which has sparked my interest in doing the lift now. I am sagging a lot in the rear when any weight is added and there is a slightly visible sag when empty. I have a lot in the back when I hit the beach, so this is a huge concern for me.

These are some of the kits that I have looked into other than the Old Man Emu. I am going to do some more research on the Rusty's kit as well because the price is right around what I am looking to spend on the lift, and I get tires and rims as well. First one is a Rough Country 4.5" Long Arm lift: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4xla.html. This has an option for new leafs, I'm just not too sure if it is overkill for my application, although I like the idea of being able to upgrade to larger tires if I decide to get into the trails. Second is another Rough Country 4.5" lift: http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4x.html. I'm not too sure about the short arm on this tall of a lift though, open to opinions. I have a friend that suggested to me to stay away from the short arm kit over 3". Price seems to be right though. Third kit I am looking at is the Tuff Country with leaf springs: http://www.tuffcountry.com/suspensio...lift-kits.html.

I am still doing a lot of research on all of these as well as looking into what other manufacturers there are as well. Thank you all for an idea of what size I should be looking into. I started getting confused when I saw the Old Man Emu kit recommended 31" tires with a 1.5" lift and then the Rough Country kits recommends 32" tires on a 4.5" lift. I am also open to any other suggestions. My head is spinning a bit right now, but I found the Manufacturers link on another thread that I am going to go through as well.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:19 AM

Something else that I forgot which is very important is that I will be fabricating a cooler rack/rod holder for the front. Not too sure how much it will weigh, but I am thinking of using chromoly instead of aluminum. I am not too sure if I will have to do anything to the front portion of the lift to accomodate for this added weight.