Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAPA Oil Seal 11800 for Dana 30

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Wheel, break, fix, repeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: AMC I6 4.0
Default NAPA Oil Seal 11800 for Dana 30

Hey all! First post here in Cherokee Forum. I'm jumping over from JF for this one.

I'm doing the split axle to solid axle conversion in my Dana 30. I'm trying like hell to find this oil seal for the diff passenger side. The local NAPA stores really suck a$$ . No wonder NAPA stands for No Auto Parts Anymore. Both Advance Auto and AutoZone were unable to cross reference the oil seal. I found it on the NAPA website but want to check with the pros first. Is this the correct seal?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...800_0338971061

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Elexwiz
Hey all! First post here in Cherokee Forum. I'm jumping over from JF for this one.

I'm doing the split axle to solid axle conversion in my Dana 30. I'm trying like hell to find this oil seal for the diff passenger side. The local NAPA stores really suck a$$ . No wonder NAPA stands for No Auto Parts Anymore. Both Advance Auto and AutoZone were unable to cross reference the oil seal. I found it on the NAPA website but want to check with the pros first. Is this the correct seal?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...800_0338971061

Thanks!
I recently replaced mine. I also went to NAPA I did not like the way it looked. I went to the Jeep dealer and got mine through the dealer. The NAPA one was cheezy, the lip where the axle goes through was not quite the same. You will be happier with the one from the dealer. It also was not that expensive.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by mdnov
I recently replaced mine. I also went to NAPA I did not like the way it looked. I went to the Jeep dealer and got mine through the dealer. The NAPA one was cheezy, the lip where the axle goes through was not quite the same. You will be happier with the one from the dealer. It also was not that expensive.
I know that you can't use the same seal thats on the driver's side of the diff. Do you remember the part number? If not, what should I tell the dealer?

And thank you for your reply!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:04 AM
CF Veteran

I looked at the picture. That does not look like seals that I put in mine.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

I did not go to a solid axle though. Have you tried Quadratec? They might be able to help you better.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:10 AM
CF Veteran

Sorry, I do not remember the part number.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by mdnov
Sorry, I do not remember the part number.
It's been my experience with dealerships that unless you give them a part number or point to the part on their computer screen, they won't be able to help. The "parts counter clerks" are not usually mechanics and have very little knowledge of the vehicles. No luck with Quadratec either. Back to the NAPA route! Thanks for your help though!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 L

I did a one piece axle conversation, the axle kit was from IRO so don't now if the ID of the seal is the same... take a look at these: http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/searc...conversion&go=
Old 02-03-2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by has07a
I did a one piece axle conversation, the axle kit was from IRO so don't now if the ID of the seal is the same... take a look at these: http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/searc...conversion&go=
I ended up finding that NAPA actually does have the seal, but I had to purchase the part at one store, then go to another store/distribution center/service center to pick it up! They gave me some lame excuse about why I just couldn't pay for it at the service center. Apparently, you can't just buy parts there. IOW, it's a service center where you pay for services, but I can't walk in a buy a part... I was just happy to get the seal.

It doesn't look like any of the seals pictured on that link, but many times websites just use "representative" pics. I checked the seal when I got home and it fits the axle shaft beautifully! We'll see what happens when I do the install this weekend. If nothing else, you've given me a plan B! Thanks!!!!!!!