Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My ultimate converted A/C OBA system!

Old 07-29-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default My ultimate converted A/C OBA system!

Well its finally "done"! Done is in quotes because I still have to plumb minor things like the air horn and clean up a thing or two but the system is in mounted and functional.

I will start out by saying that some people will drool over it but I'm sorry I don't think any of us could/would afford a system like this. There are many parts that from connections of mine. Mainly my father who builds VERY high pressure systems for refineries and such. I also plumb the air system on trucks so I could get scrap pieces of synflex hose that normally cost about $10 a foot. Other pieces like the pressure gauge I could find exactly what part numbers would work best and order one. There is approx $700 in stainless swagelok fittings, synflex DOT fittings, stainless coil, check valves, etc.

So long story short... I can give some guidance but I cant really tell you where to get a lot of the stuff in the system.

OK

I cut the manifold on the A/C compressor and adapted in using stainless swagelok fittings. The outlet goes into a coil to cool the air before it goes into the synflex hose. It also has a industrial grade 225 PSI pressure release valve that you cant see in the picture. The system doesnt go that high but I wanted a secondary highER safety valve in case for some reason the system sticks on. After it switches to synflex hose it goes to the other side of the engine bay goes into an oil/water filter and then to the back where the tank it.

Before the compressor I have an oiler tucked inside of the cooling coil.

At the back it goes into the tank via 1/2" synflex and then to the setup you see in the window sill. The pressure gauge is a dual gauge. Its rigged up to read tank pressure and whatever I have the quick release regulated down to. I have it set up for 125 psi in the tank and the quick release is regulated down to tire pressure (35 psi)

The two solenoids you see that arent wired up yet are for the air horn you see sitting on the floor. I need to mount that somewhere underneath. The other solenoid is for a remote tank dump button that will be in the dash. That will also be routed underneath to dump and water or oil that makes it to the tank without making a mess.

The switches are the Daystar TJ switches. Orange is for high idle and blue is for the compressor. Let me tell you what... these A/C systems have some power. With the 2.75 gallon kilby tank completely empty it takes 28 silent seconds to fill it to 125 psi. The electric system I previously had in my WJ was loud as hell and took about 3 minutes to fill a 1.5 gallon tank.

I still have to find some way to make the hole around the quick release look good, wire up the horn/purge buttons on the dash, change the white zip tie to black, and fab a bracket for the filter up front by my intake.
Attached Thumbnails My ultimate converted A/C OBA system!-compressor.jpg   My ultimate converted A/C OBA system!-filter.jpg   My ultimate converted A/C OBA system!-regulator.jpg   My ultimate converted A/C OBA system!-tank.jpg   My ultimate converted A/C OBA system!-switches.jpg  

Old 07-29-2012, 12:31 PM

Yeah that is a very nice setup! Going to see if my a/c will hold a charge. If not I hope to do this as well. Not quite at this level though, lol.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Awesome job man!! I was thinking about doing mine with swedgelok fittings bc my buddy can get them from work. Do the switches still allow air to flow around them or is that vent blocked?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:39 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, air flows around them. There are no flaps so its kind of turbulent air but they are open. I'm noticing in the picture that the vent looks a different color, in person they match.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:27 PM

....answered my own question.....