Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My death wobble thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII
Default My death wobble thread

Why? Because I can, that's why.

But seriously, the back story -

My truck has a 6.5" home brewed lift, using 2" spacers, 4.5" springs, up front, bastard packed rear leafs, 2" shackles out back, and Rustys offroad shocks all the way around. 35" Interco Truxus M/T tires.

Since buying the truck back in May of last year, I've never driven it on the street, only trailer it to offroad events. Yesterday I took it down the street for the first time, let alone with the lift, got it up to 35 mph, drove nice, until I hit a small bump in the road. Then, both front tires started violently changing direction from left to right at an incredible rate of speed, the steering wheel was absolutely useless, and the truck started shacking itself to pieces. A buddy following behind me confirmed, the front axle was basically trying to leap out of the truck.

I had my first run in with death wobble. But, theres a twist.

I was expecting, the whole time with my build, to have it. While I have Rocky Road Outfitters lower control arms, I kept the stock uppers. Remember, my truck isn't a prize winner, its a beater junkyard build.

I know I am gonna cure it, but I had the idea that this would be a great how-to thread for others for future reference.

My first plan of attack is going to be upgrading to Rustys adjustable lower & upper control arms, followed by quick disconnect sway bar links of some sorts. Also, gonna replace the 21 year old beaten steering stabilizer, and install a drop pitman arm.

Understand, I'm twisted in the head. I love check engine lights, because they're something to solve, just like the wobble. In 8 Jeeps, this is the first I've built and gotten the wobble, I feel like I finally lost my virginity! So sit back, and keep an eye to learn how to overcome the blues of bump steer!
Old 01-24-2011, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Was this with no brakes Patrick?

My Cherokee still has the wobbles after a new track bar, so I am paying attention to this thread.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

Eh, 1/3rd the brakes, they died on the return trip, and only in the rear.

But at least we were somewhat smart about it. Did it on a very dead stretch of road, with both a friend in front as well as behind me, and with nothing nearby I could fly off the road and hit, and it was near my house. Had to get out and test it somehow. I'm almost thinking I'm gonna throw a trac bar at it as well, just to get it all over and done with.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L MPI V8 (318)
Default My Death Wobble

Bought my 1994 Jeep Cherokee Country this last October after my birthday. Did work on it, all fluids flushed/changed/filled, checked over suspension and steering. Drove fine locally for the first day I had it driving. The first time I took the thing out on a highway I hit about 55, and hit a pebble. The front end started falling apart, shaking so violently I thought it was going to disintegrate. Anyways, it ended up being my steering gear. Changed that, and it has never happened since. Good luck to anyone else who gets the DW.