Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mounting coilovers front and rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default mounting coilovers front and rear

Has anyone seen any pics or have built an engine cage to mount coilovers? I have a set of coilovers that I cannot seem to sell... fox 2.0 coilovers, 9" stroke, 26" eye to eye x 4 plus fox 2.0 shock, 16" stroke, 32" eye to eye... so I would probably use them on the xj. I have pondered this before but thought selling them would be a great thing.
Anyways, I am ok with cutting into the wheel wells as well as cutting into the hood.
As for the rear, well I probably have a great idea of what I will do there... I may do EVO lever system or most likely build shock hoops and install the shocks like they do on jeepspeed.
Thanks for your help!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

research on pirate4x4.com for that. Wont find much of that stuff around here.

I warn you though... SEARCH pirate first or you'll never want to ask a question there again.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Huntingman built a tube style Jeep. Idk if it has coilovers but you could ask him
Old 05-13-2012, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

9s are way too short, you can rebuild those and put a longer shaft and run them up front. the 16s will work out back. you want to run the c/o or pull the hardware and run them as shocks? obv you need to link the rear if you want to run the c/o back there, but theyll work as a shock. check out vetteboy's build on pirate to see his engine cage (in the cherokee section)

here's my rear thing to give you another idea...

Name:  IMG_7052-7.jpg
Views: 7467
Size:  145.7 KB

those are bilstein 2.0s
Old 05-16-2012, 11:23 AM

Are you running leafs in the back? No wait you said you were running a 4 link in the rear. If you only have the two shocks in the rear, you shouldnt be able to have alot of weight back there b/c the lack of spring, right?
What did you do for your front suspension?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by xjallseasons
Are you running leafs in the back? No wait you said you were running a 4 link in the rear. If you only have the two shocks in the rear, you shouldnt be able to have alot of weight back there b/c the lack of spring, right?
uhm... stock is two springs so i am confused. if he is running a 4 link, that means he has coils in the back.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM
CF Veteran

Wtf are you talking about? I'm running leafs and 2.0 shocks, I posted the pic to show you an idea on how you can mount a coilover if you wanted. I originally thought you knew what you were talking about but now I'm not so sure.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88

nice setup how does it ride? I need to do some major suspension work after my last trip to the dunes.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:45 PM
CF Veteran

Deavers and custom valved 9100s. I don't think it can get better.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88

I would love to go all out with this one, But the budget is tight I have a lot of neglect to take care of on it first.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
Wtf are you talking about? I'm running leafs and 2.0 shocks, I posted the pic to show you an idea on how you can mount a coilover if you wanted. I originally thought you knew what you were talking about but now I'm not so sure.
No need to be rude! I was under the impression that you were linked in the rear and was wondering where you spring was coming from. Since you are running leafs then that makes sense.
How long is your stroke on your shocks in the rear? I saw you tied your shock hoops into your cage, good job. And I really like that you did a clean job with the holes on the shock mounts. Did you put grommets or rubber bushings around each shock to prevent water and other debris from not only coming in but damaging your carpet.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 PM

9s are way too short, you can rebuild those and put a longer shaft and run them up front. the 16s will work out back. you want to run the c/o or pull the hardware and run them as shocks? obv you need to link the rear if you want to run the c/o back there, but theyll work as a shock. check out vetteboy's build on pirate to see his engine cage (in the cherokee section)

here's my rear thing to give you another idea...

those are bilstein 2.0s
Is your rear cage tied into anything? I see the very rear vertical bar go up towards the roof near the sound bar. Did you run it thru the roof onto an exo cage or roof rack?
Where do you put your spare tire?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

No need to be rude! I was under the impression that you were linked in the rear and was wondering where you spring was coming from. Since you are running leafs then that makes sense.
How long is your stroke on your shocks in the rear? I saw you tied your shock hoops into your cage, good job. And I really like that you did a clean job with the holes on the shock mounts. Did you put grommets or rubber bushings around each shock to prevent water and other debris from not only coming in but damaging your carpet.
oh, sorry dude. you just never know with some people on this forum... shocks are just under 13" stroke, theres nothing there to keep crap out, and i cut the hole JUST big enough to fit the shock through. i was thinking about getting a shifter boot to seal it up, but honestly, nothing has made it in DDing in the rain, driving on the beach.. havent had to go through mud or anything (dont like to) so havent had the chance to really see. i'm gonna need to fully seal it eventually. i have that rubber mat thing back there too.

Is your rear cage tied into anything? I see the very rear vertical bar go up towards the roof near the sound bar. Did you run it thru the roof onto an exo cage or roof rack?
Where do you put your spare tire?
yea, tied into the top halo thing.

Name:  IMG_7057-12.jpg
Views: 2337
Size:  134.7 KB

cage isn't done yet, it isn't tied in at the bottom anywhere at the moment. spare is in my backyard i'm gonna build a rear bumper/tire carrier.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:44 PM

oh, sorry dude. you just never know with some people on this forum... shocks are just under 13" stroke, theres nothing there to keep crap out, and i cut the hole JUST big enough to fit the shock through. i was thinking about getting a shifter boot to seal it up, but honestly, nothing has made it in DDing in the rain, driving on the beach.. havent had to go through mud or anything (dont like to) so havent had the chance to really see. i'm gonna need to fully seal it eventually. i have that rubber mat thing back there too.

yea, tied into the top halo thing.

cage isn't done yet, it isn't tied in at the bottom anywhere at the moment. spare is in my backyard i'm gonna build a rear bumper/tire carrier.
I bought a bronco tire carrier to install on my xj. I havent installed it yet. I have to do some fab work and reinforce the side where the mount is going on. I hope it works out good although I will have to modify it to make it work... I believe.
What are your plans for a tire carrier?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM

I bought a bronco tire carrier to install on my xj. I havent installed it yet. I have to do some fab work and reinforce the side where the mount is going on. I hope it works out good although I will have to modify it to make it work... I believe.
What are your plans for a tire carrier?
Here's another question for you...
In the rear, the mounts for the shocks on the axle are staggered and below the axle. Did you put your lower mounts in a different spot and I am thinking you didnt stagger them? If you added different mounts, did you make new mounts or buy new ones? And if you bought new ones where did you get them? Pics are very helpful.
I really like your ideas and will probably end up doing it. I am not sure as to my cage though.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: mounting coilovers front and rear