Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monstalining the whole rig

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999 Sport Road Rash Monstaliner
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech Engine
Default Monstalining the whole rig

I searched and searched for this thread and thought I ran across one for XJ's a while back. Can't seem to find it now. I'm talking about XJ's painted with Monstaliner.

Lots of info out there for Wranglers but not so much Cherokees. My main question is how much do you need to order for good results from rolling? also How has it held up; both color and durability? Did you have to prime or did you just scuff the paint? How does it fair on plastics like fender flares and grill?

Any other feedback would be helpful. Hopefully this will help others too. The dull, textured look is appealing to me! Was thinking Apocalypse...
Old 10-07-2014, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6 HO

Originally Posted by terzdesign
I searched and searched for this thread and thought I ran across one for XJ's a while back. Can't seem to find it now. I'm talking about XJ's painted with Monstaliner. Lots of info out there for Wranglers but not so much Cherokees. My main question is how much do you need to order for good results from rolling? also How has it held up; both color and durability? Did you have to prime or did you just scuff the paint? How does it fair on plastics like fender flares and grill? Any other feedback would be helpful. Hopefully this will help others too. The dull, textured look is appealing to me! Was thinking Apocalypse...
There's a thread on Jeep Forum that's all about it. Search for something like Monstaliner or Monstaliner Tintable Paint.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also love the monstalined look. Like stated above check out the huge thread on Jeep forum. I was looking into doing it for an older XJ I almost purchased.

IIRC the 2 gallon complete kit was the amount needed for a complete XJ. Search that thread, the answer is in there. Monstaliner seems to hold up extremely well too. Lots of people have had it on their Jeeps for several years with no fading. I plan on doing my bumpers with it soon. No priming necessary and it doesn't stick well to plastic. They have a pretreatment you need to apply before doing any plastics.

There's also a discount for jeep forum members, free chassis saver as well
Old 10-08-2014, 07:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999 Limited
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

Just received my kit yesterday, noticed some pitting on the roof so the plan is to sand it all down tomorrow and have it done before the weekend. Pics to follow...
Old 10-08-2014, 11:17 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Inline 6

I painted my Jeep with Herculiner Brand (AutoZone, Advanced auto carries it) I love the look. She really turns heads driving down the road. I used 2 gallons and did 4 coats (rolled/brushed) as far as the finish holding up lol nothing is taking this stuff off. My suggestion is unless you have a black vehicle I would recommend priming the vehicle a dark color. even the smallest areas around the vehicle will show the original paint if not covered properly. Just take your time and be sure to tape everything off ie. windows, door handles. Gloves might be a good idea too lol I learned that one the hard way the first time around haha
Attached Thumbnails Monstalining the whole rig-jeep-flex-4.jpg   Monstalining the whole rig-buttermilk-falls.jpg   Monstalining the whole rig-jeep-bridgeinstagram.jpg   Monstalining the whole rig-jeep-kayak.jpg   Monstalining the whole rig-jeep2.jpg  

Old 10-08-2014, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

I monstalined my quarters & rockers last summer. It's tough as nails. I'll be doing my roof next summer as it's getting all cracked and startin to show it's age.

2 gallons I believe is the correct amount to do a complete XJ

Don't sand your rig, some scotch bright pads come (came with mine) with it and all you wanna do is scuff it really good. Take care of the rust if you have any (sand, prime,paint).

Wipe everything down with a specific cleaner.
I used this:
Name:  100_2316_zps5b7bfba2.jpg
Views: 1593
Size:  63.0 KB

Mix in the activator & start rolling. I did 2 coats, pretty heavy as I didn't want too rough of a surface. I'd do sections at a time. Don't do it all at once. You gotta do 2 coats Name:  100_2320_zps997a74f2.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  76.9 KB Name:  100_2322_zpsab1e49c9.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  64.6 KB Really pleased with the outcome. Easy to clean also.

Last edited by caronaxtr; 10-08-2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by caronaxtr
I monstalined my quarters & rockers last summer. It's tough as nails. I'll be doing my roof next summer as it's getting all cracked and startin to show it's age.

2 gallons I believe is the correct amount to do a complete XJ

Don't sand your rig, some scotch bright pads come (came with mine) with it and all you wanna do is scuff it really good. Take care of the rust if you have any (sand, prime,paint).

Wipe everything down with a specific cleaner.
I used this:

Mix in the activator & start rolling. I did 2 coats, pretty heavy as I didn't want too rough of a surface. I'd do sections at a time. Don't do it all at once. You gotta do 2 coats Really pleased with the outcome. Easy to clean also.
So you literally just scotch bright-ed your paint job and did not lay down a primer except for where you found rust?
Old 10-09-2014, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by terzdesign
So you literally just scotch bright-ed your paint job and did not lay down a primer except for where you found rust?
Exactly. Directions say not to sand, prime any exposed raw steel. Was cake to do, just took a lot of time as I hate HACK jobs. I taped off the body lines on both sides before opening the cans. Most important thing to do is wipe it down really good with the cleaner, they specify what to use, but when I went to my local body shop they didn't have that exact product but have me the other cleaner.

Name:  100_2315_zpsdddd5edf.jpg
Views: 1663
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  100_2314_zps188bd46b.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  113.8 KB

Just scuffed up with the scotch bright.

Stuff is great...
Name:  100_2317_zpsb4c8f559.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  55.0 KB
Old 10-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999 Limited
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 Power Tech

In between coats as I type this. I went over-kill with the prep, sanded the roof with 80, 120, then 180 because there was a lot of pitting and cracking. I may have enough left over to do the hood.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by roadraje
In between coats as I type this. I went over-kill with the prep, sanded the roof with 80, 120, then 180 because there was a lot of pitting and cracking. I may have enough left over to do the hood.
I figured anything over 120 would be too fine. I would imagine the courser (to a point) would be better.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:41 AM

Over on JeepForum, Magnetman said that a two gallon kit will do an entire XJ exterior. Hope this helps someone.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:58 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by lifted96xj.ricky
I painted my Jeep with Herculiner Brand (AutoZone, Advanced auto carries it) I love the look. She really turns heads driving down the road. I used 2 gallons and did 4 coats (rolled/brushed) as far as the finish holding up lol nothing is taking this stuff off. My suggestion is unless you have a black vehicle I would recommend priming the vehicle a dark color. even the smallest areas around the vehicle will show the original paint if not covered properly. Just take your time and be sure to tape everything off ie. windows, door handles. Gloves might be a good idea too lol I learned that one the hard way the first time around haha
Nice looking rig you have there!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 i6

I plan on doing mine dark burnt orange. I was wondering the same stuff about this.