Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Measuring for shocks + suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 03:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Measuring for shocks + suggestions?

Hi all,

I'm still in the planning stages for my lift. I have most of the pieces together which include the following:

Rusty's Longarms
Rough Country adjustable track bar
4.5" RE coils
4.5" Rusty's leafs
1.5" Teraflex shackles
1.75" coil spacers

Also worth mentioning.. Bushwacker Flat Flares.

So with all this I should be sitting around 6". I got the spacers and shackles in case I want to go lower in the future. I'm planning on running 35's. So my question is, when measuring for the shocks, should I have my 35's on? I have dinky 235's right now. I guess it would make sense to have my 35's ready for when it comes lift time, right? Forgive me for my noobness. I figure the longarms also play a role in shock length.

Also, I'm looking at Pro Comp shocks. Don't want to spend a whole lot on shocks. It's not gonna be my DD but still want her to be road worthy. Any thoughts on these or a good budget shock? Thanks ya'll

Last edited by PocketsEmpty; 03-09-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty
Hi all,

I'm still in the planning stages for my lift. I have most of the pieces together which include the following:

Rusty's Longarms
Rough Country adjustable track bar
4.5" RE coils
4.5" Rusty's leafs
1.5" Teraflex shackles
1.75" coil spacers

Also worth mentioning.. Bushwacker Flat Flares.

So with all this I should be sitting around 6". I got the spacers and shackles in case I want to go lower in the future. I'm planning on running 35's. So my question is, when measuring for the shocks, should I have my 35's on? I have dinky 235's right now. I guess it would make sense to have my 35's ready for when it comes lift time, right? Forgive me for my noobness. I figure the longarms also play a role in shock length.

Also, I'm looking at Pro Comp shocks. Don't want to spend a whole lot on shocks. It's not gonna be my DD but still want her to be road worthy. Any thoughts on these or a good budget shock? Thanks ya'll
I wouldn't run an RC track bar on 35's even if it was free. That being said, put your 35's on and set up your bumpstops first. Then flex till you hit the bump stops and measure from there. Leave about 1" of shock length to account for bump stop compression. All white body shocks are basically the same so just get what is cheapest.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BNJeepsta
I wouldn't run an RC track bar on 35's even if it was free. That being said, put your 35's on and set up your bumpstops first. Then flex till you hit the bump stops and measure from there. Leave about 1" of shock length to account for bump stop compression. All white body shocks are basically the same so just get what is cheapest.
That bad huh? I was comparing my beat up Rustys track bar to the new RC one today and it seems so much nicer. And I've been reading some bad things about the Rustys track bars. What would you recommend?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by PocketsEmpty

That bad huh? I was comparing my beat up Rustys track bar to the new RC one today and it seems so much nicer. And I've been reading some bad things about the Rustys track bars. What would you recommend?

Thanks
Rustys and RC track bars scare me. I run the IRO double shear bar and its beef! A bunch of other guys on here run them as well. Some other good ones are Rubicon Express and JKS.