Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

maybe im just dumb...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default maybe im just dumb...

but im installing my lift and bought the nitro shocks (longggg story, wanted hydros) with my 3.5 in tuff country kit. the rear shocks are two circles instead of the one side i need being the upper mounting plate, and there is no adapter with it to make it that way. this distributor site i bought it from has been nothing but a headache, im not sure if it is against the rules or not to list them (if anyone knows, id list them so no one else here has to go through this headache). am i just stupid and missing something, or do they need to send me the adapter/the right f***ing shocks? thanks.

rob

EDIT: and would i be able to finish the lift if i just sit it on the leafs w/o the shocks and do the front while waiting if they send em? i got the add a leaf and they'd be brand new.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:03 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Its called a bar pin. You should be able to take it out of the other shock and put it on the new one. Most aftermarket shocks should have a bag with one in it included its weird that you didn't have it. If that doesn't work and you have to have one sent I would suggest to wait for one.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I wouldn't recommend driving without shocks though someone here will chime in and say they do it all the time with their kids in the back and have never had an issue.

With that said there is no reason why you can't put the rear back on the ground sans shocks and work on the front.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:52 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Go ahead and list the name of the dealer and tell us about your experience, nothing wrong with that.

Also nothing wrong with sitting the jeep on the ground with just the springs, that's what holds it up anyway.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
Its called a bar pin. You should be able to take it out of the other shock and put it on the new one. Most aftermarket shocks should have a bag with one in it included its weird that you didn't have it. If that doesn't work and you have to have one sent I would suggest to wait for one.
ok, thank you. i will look into that tomorrow!

Originally Posted by Evil Drew M
I wouldn't recommend driving without shocks though someone here will chime in and say they do it all the time with their kids in the back and have never had an issue.

With that said there is no reason why you can't put the rear back on the ground sans shocks and work on the front.
nooo, not driving. just lifting the front. thank you, i will also start on the front then tomorrow!

Originally Posted by Wearingthin
Go ahead and list the name of the dealer and tell us about your experience, nothing wrong with that.

Also nothing wrong with sitting the jeep on the ground with just the springs, that's what holds it up anyway.
i bought from sdstrucksprings.com, and i have to say ill never buy there again. here's the story;

i bought here because it had the cheapest price and free shipping. i guess i am getting some of that with the customer service. i placed the order june 28. i waited a week. they called the sunday after i ordered (i ordered it the previous sunday) and said the hydro shocks were on back order until the 24 of july. i was kinda peeved since the site said IN STOCK and they waited a week to tell me this. they asked if i wanted the "upgrade" to the nitros. i said no, because that shock would be MUCH too stiff, considering its made for trucks 1000's of pounds heavier than mine. they then asked if i wanted the kit sent without the shocks because it was "taking up space". i said no, i want it all together so i can just do it at once since it is my daily driver. (i didnt wanna get the urge to start and then be stuck without shocks on my DD). they said ok, and so i waited until the 24 of july. i called on that day, asking about the shocks. they THEN said it was on backorder AGAIN until the 10th of august. (that is 1 and a half months AFTER i originally placed the order) i was fairly peeved. i just consented to the "upgrade" and got the nitros. i got the order 4 or 5 days later, and didnt start until a couple of days ago. (im a teenager during summer break and had to wait until i got a few days off my part time job). now im stuck without those shock mounts, and need them fairly soon because i have to drive to work. lol. and thats basically where im at.

oh yea, and they billed my credit card the day i bought it. they didnt even wait until the thing shipped out over a month later. i dont know if thats general practice or not but it also kinda pissed me off.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 99xjteen
oh yea, and they billed my credit card the day i bought it. they didnt even wait until the thing shipped out over a month later. i dont know if thats general practice or not but it also kinda pissed me off.
It is normal practice to bill at time of order, BUT normal practice is also to list correctly in/out of stock. but mistakes happen and they did let you know (should've sooner but they did call you) the only issue i really see is that they made you upgrade because they wheren't competent enough to have correct inventory/listings. the shocks should've been comped in my opinion, due to inconvience.

I would try and reuse the old ones, but these are also comon and any autozone/ect should have these kicking around.

to bad you had a bad experience...
Old 08-18-2011, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj
It is normal practice to bill at time of order, BUT normal practice is also to list correctly in/out of stock. but mistakes happen and they did let you know (should've sooner but they did call you) the only issue i really see is that they made you upgrade because they wheren't competent enough to have correct inventory/listings. the shocks should've been comped in my opinion, due to inconvience.

I would try and reuse the old ones, but these are also comon and any autozone/ect should have these kicking around.

to bad you had a bad experience...
the plan as of now is to call tomorrow and see if theyll send me that bar pin, and ill check auto zone or whatever and see if they got something. i would just order another pair of shocks, but i still have this full set i paid for so im gonna try and use em.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:00 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 99xjteen
Wait a sec...you're a teenager and you have a credit card? LoL...times change. When I was a teenager, I was lucky to get an allowance.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bugsy
Wait a sec...you're a teenager and you have a credit card? LoL...times change. When I was a teenager, I was lucky to get an allowance.

parents, lol. but if it makes a difference i have a savings/checkings account prepping for college and ive been working part time since i turned 16.