Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making long arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Making long arms

Started trying to put 4.5 inch springs in the front end. Found the trac bar ain't gunna work how it is, wich wasn't a surprise nor will it be hard to fix. I did find the lower controll arms are not going to work. Thought about this for a few days and I've decided to build some long arms. Let me know what you think about this plan, For the unibody, I have some 3inch by 1/4 angle iron I plan on useing to spread the load on the unibody, I'll make it as long as I can. For the cross member I am going to buy 2x6 by 1/4 box tube, Run it from rock rail to rock rail(wich are made of the same matterial) tie it into the rock rails and the frame. I decided agaisnt jonny joints, I'm going to use poly bushings from TMR little cheaper, and should absorb shock a little better. brackets on the stock axle will have to be reused for now, with a little bracing added. Not sure how far forward the axle can go, I might just check the angle of a stock axle and match it.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 PM

What kind of longarms? The type of rod end matters.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 PM

I'm useing the poly bushing ends, they come as a kit from tmr customs. Dom tubeing on the outside, poly bushing and steel center bushing http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...oducts_id=1251 this one on the front and this one http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/inde...oducts_id=1894 on the rear. will have to use DOM tubing, I haven't figured out the size yet, just trying to get the theroy down so I can order the right stuff the first time.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

first of all, good choice purchasing from Tim and Mike, they're great guys and make everything in house. you should see their milling machine.

it is probably better to use a flex joint on the frame end, you can get away with poly on the axle and upper arm mounts, but a decent flex joint like johnny joint would be a wiser decision for the frame end.

also, the arms are the easy part, it's the cross member that is the most difficult to fabricate here.

you want something definitely strong enough, as well as ease of maintenance as far as trans removal, so if you're gonna weld the x-member to your frame/rock rails, then you want a removable center section so you can drop your tranny if needed.

have a close look at Staangsfab.com and look at his cross member/long arms.
you could also ask tim and mike as they're very knowledgeable guys for this kinda thing.
tim and mike are actually at the KOH right now, so if you're near there, drop in and talk to them personally. tell them Rodger says hi. lol.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 PM

You need to use jonny joints or rod ends atleast on the frame side or it will bind horribly