Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower control arms issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lower control arms issue

I have a 1996 Cherokee Sport and I recently bought a pro comp 3 inch lift (add a leaf). I installed everything but the lower control arms fairly easily, but I can't get the holes to line up on the lower control arms. I tried to use a ratchet, and that didn't work. I also tried to move the axle which also didn't work. Has anybody else ran into this problem? Any suggestions are welcome, thanks everyone.
-Justen
Old 03-20-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

You are so right, getting the lower control arms with fixed bushings installed is not easy. Disconnect the track bar and use ratchet straps and a pry bar to move the axle to install one at a time. I now have the adjustable lowers from Rough Country with ball-in-joints which made installation a little easier. If your going to be rock crawling, consider having axle heavy duty lower control arm mounts welded on; the stock axle lower mounts won't stand up to rock crawling.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Rockhead
You are so right, getting the lower control arms with fixed bushings installed is not easy. Disconnect the track bar and use ratchet straps and a pry bar to move the axle to install one at a time. I now have the adjustable lowers from Rough Country with ball-in-joints which made installation a little easier. If your going to be rock crawling, consider having axle heavy duty lower control arm mounts welded on; the stock axle lower mounts won't stand up to rock crawling.

Thank you a lot for the advice, I will be giving this a try!
-Justen