Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowe control arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default lowe control arms

Is there a way to tell if the lca bushings are bad? I have a 99 with a 4 1/2" lift (do not know what brand). When I go over a speed bump at a slow speed the front end sounds like it is about to fall out. I tried moving the lca with the weight on the ground. Everything up front seems to be tight. The lca at the frame looks to have a ring that you can tighten with a spanner wrench. Any info would be appreciated. The lca and uca are adjustable. Thanks

Without knowing what brand lca these are can they be rebuilt or is there a different size for each manufacturer ?

Last edited by Whackmaster; 09-15-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Whackmaster
Is there a way to tell if the lca bushings are bad? I have a 99 with a 4 1/2" lift (do not know what brand). When I go over a speed bump at a slow speed the front end sounds like it is about to fall out. I tried moving the lca with the weight on the ground. Everything up front seems to be tight. The lca at the frame looks to have a ring that you can tighten with a spanner wrench. Any info would be appreciated. The lca and uca are adjustable. Thanks

Without knowing what brand lca these are can they be rebuilt or is there a different size for each manufacturer ?
I don't think that I have ever seen any control arms that could not be rebuilt. Even the stock ones can have the bushings pressed out and new ones pressed in, so I am going to assume yes but you would need to know the bushing size.

With that said, there are alot of other components up front that could cause a noise like that.

I would also check out the bushings on the sway bar, could also be loose shocks, loose track bar etc.

If you aren't getting any feedback in your steering wheel when you hear the noise when going over a bump, you could probably rule out the steering components.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by HYRYSC
I don't think that I have ever seen any control arms that could not be rebuilt. Even the stock ones can have the bushings pressed out and new ones pressed in, so I am going to assume yes but you would need to know the bushing size.

With that said, there are alot of other components up front that could cause a noise like that.

I would also check out the bushings on the sway bar, could also be loose shocks, loose track bar etc.

If you aren't getting any feedback in your steering wheel when you hear the noise when going over a bump, you could probably rule out the steering components.

No feed back in the steering wheel just a lot of noise. I checked everything from shocks, drag link, tre, trac bar. i did grease the sway bar bushings but not the rest of the suspension. I'll try greasing every thing and see if it makes any improvments.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

Originally Posted by HYRYSC
I don't think that I have ever seen any control arms that could not be rebuilt...
WJ arms can't be rebuilt. Picked up a ser from a picknpull before I knew this and proceeded to drill out the bushings to replace them. I then went and tried to order nee bushings and learned a hard lesson.

OP bar pins loose in the shocks, sway bar bushings or end link bushings would cause the symptoms you describe. But it sounds like you have some type of flex joint in your arms, maybe post a pic. Could also take the weight off them and see if they are loose and rattle.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
WJ arms can't be rebuilt. Picked up a ser from a picknpull before I knew this and proceeded to drill out the bushings to replace them. I then went and tried to order nee bushings and learned a hard lesson.

OP bar pins loose in the shocks, sway bar bushings or end link bushings would cause the symptoms you describe. But it sounds like you have some type of flex joint in your arms, maybe post a pic. Could also take the weight off them and see if they are loose and rattle.

I'm going to put it up on jack stands Saturday and check everything then.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj

Well that is a bummer. Thanks for the info
Old 09-16-2016, 08:25 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Whackmaster
I'm going to put it up on jack stands Saturday and check everything then.
I would get a long handled prybar to use to check all of the joints. Stuff might seem tight by hand but not with almost 2 tons worth of jeep pushing stuff around on it.