Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOTS of questions... future setup

Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl
Arrow LOTS of questions... future setup

Hey everyone. So I'm trying to figure out / pull the trigger on buying a 4.5 inch lift kit for my 01 XJ. I've been told to get a FULL LEAF kit for the rear, even though my XJ only has 95,000 miles on it. So, sticking with that, I should probably add that I want it to be a quality lift kit and to buy the right parts that will hold up for years. I'm going to college soon and I'm short on Jeep money as it is. So here are my options - any advice is welcome (like what I need to buy, watch out for this brand because..., anything:

Lift Kit - 4.5" - Full Rear Leaf Replacement
-Rough Country - $459.95
-Rusty's - $669.00
-Zone - $749.94
-NOTES: basic lift kit (no upgraded shocks, etc.), shipping not calculated
-QUESTIONS: Pros/Cons to each brand?

Tires - 32x11.50x15
-BFG A/T KOs
-Maybe some moderate mud terrains? Ideas welcome!
-NOTES: sees a lot of highway every day, need at least okay mileage, don't care about noise, when I go offroading, I usually screw around in mud or fields with friends
-QUESTIONS: I should go with 32s, right? Or would 31s allow more uptravel?

Wheels - 15x8
-Cragar 397 Soft 8
-Cragar 342 D Windows
-NOTES: need them in this price range
-QUESTIONS: so apparently 4.00" backspacing is the way to go? can anyone verify this, with this backspacing will I get really good flex/uptravel?

---
More general questions...
1. How much does it cost to get tires mounted on wheels, balanced, and tires aligned?
2. If I lift the Jeep successfully, should I immediately take it to a 4x4 shop for them to mount tires and align? Anything else they should do?
3. Should I buy a hack and tap SYE/driveshaft for $200, because I've only heard bad things about how Tcase drops screw you over in the long run?
4. Will I need longer brake lines for sure?
5. Will I have a long arm or short arm lift and what are the main differences between them?
---

I really appreciate the time and helpful advice - I really want to pull the trigger on this soon! Thanks!

Last edited by luckyAD80; 03-06-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Subscribing to this thread! Man I'm in the same boat as you. Finding first lift and heading off to college. I was leaning more towards Rough country myself
Old 03-06-2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by wifin
Subscribing to this thread! Man I'm in the same boat as you. Finding first lift and heading off to college. I was leaning more towards Rough country myself
It's definitely the cheapest option but I haven't heard much good stuff about it. Hopefully some really helpful people will chime in - it's a really large first post so most people will probably not bother reading it haha.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

This was a good way to start a thread shows that you've put the tine and research rather then.just asking questions I can speak on behalf of the rough country kit...other people may have different opinions which is what your looking for but personally my rough country kit rids amazing no noise, no slack, no BS! I went with the add a leaf kit to start realizing that my old leaf springs were very tired I went to Napa and bought doorman leaf springs and then jaded my leaf which saved me about 100 bucks rather then buying them pre built from rough country...as seen bellow

LOTS of questions... future setup-forumrunner_20120306_211240.jpg

LOTS of questions... future setup-forumrunner_20120306_211300.jpg
Hopefully I was of some help and good luck with the build
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97

Duratracs don't come in 32x11.50's. But man do I wish they did!!! They are an amazing tire and a 31 will be fine on a 4.5 inch lift. All of those lifts are short arm lifts and honestly if you don't wheel that much, long arms aren't worth the money. Spend the $$ on armor and lockers. A 4" backspacing will be fine for 31's and I'd go with a 15x7 rim so you can air down with less chance of blowing the tire off the bead

Last edited by BNJeepsta; 03-06-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Also I forgot you will def. Need brake lines which you can buy from rough country...and I would suggest if it is within your budget to have the wheels and tires on that you want before the alignment...I also had to change my trac bar to an adjustable one and did the steering stabilizer while.I was at it well worth the 40 bucks!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by typicalsundayxj
Also I forgot you will def. Need brake lines which you can buy from rough country...and I would suggest if it is within your budget to have the wheels and tires on that you want before the alignment...I also had to change my trac bar to an adjustable one and did the steering stabilizer while.I was at it well worth the 40 bucks!
Thanks for the help! And yeah I've been researching for a good while haha. For the trac bar, what does having it adjustable do? What does the steering stabilizer do? Is the RC 4.5" a long arm (does it even matter...)? Sorry for the storm of questions.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by BNJeepsta
Duratracs don't come in 32x11.50's. But man do I wish they did!!!
That's right... I knew that.. apparently I still wish they came in 32s also haha.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by luckyAD80
Hey everyone. So I'm trying to figure out / pull the trigger on buying a 4.5 inch lift kit for my 01 XJ. I've been told to get a FULL LEAF kit for the rear, even though my XJ only has 95,000 miles on it. So, sticking with that, I should probably add that I want it to be a quality lift kit and to buy the right parts that will hold up for years. I'm going to college soon and I'm short on Jeep money as it is. So here are my options - any advice is welcome (like what I need to buy, watch out for this brand because..., anything:

Lift Kit - 4.5" - Full Rear Leaf Replacement
-Rough Country - $459.95
-Rusty's - $669.00
-Zone - $749.94
-NOTES: basic lift kit (no upgraded shocks, etc.), shipping not calculated
-QUESTIONS: Pros/Cons to each brand?

Tires - 32x11.50x15
-Duratracs
-BFG A/T KOs
-Maybe some moderate mud terrains? Ideas welcome!
-NOTES: sees a lot of highway every day, need at least okay mileage, don't care about noise, when I go offroading, I usually screw around in mud or fields with friends
-QUESTIONS: I should go with 32s, right? Or would 31s allow more uptravel?

Wheels - 15x8
-Cragar 397 Soft 8
-Cragar 342 D Windows
-NOTES: need them in this price range
-QUESTIONS: so apparently 4.00" backspacing is the way to go? can anyone verify this, with this backspacing will I get really good flex/uptravel?

---
More general questions...
1. How much does it cost to get tires mounted on wheels, balanced, and tires aligned?
2. If I lift the Jeep successfully, should I immediately take it to a 4x4 shop for them to mount tires and align? Anything else they should do?
3. Should I buy a hack and tap SYE/driveshaft for $200, because I've only heard bad things about how Tcase drops screw you over in the long run?
4. Will I need longer brake lines for sure?
5. Will I have a long arm or short arm lift and what are the main differences between them?
---

I really appreciate the time and helpful advice - I really want to pull the trigger on this soon! Thanks!
Here will be my .02 for what i know

LIFTS:
Rough country has bad flex joint wear and go through them quicker than others (though ive never had experience with this when i had thier lift)

Rustys havent experienced it but ive read and seen pictures of there trackbar just breaking in half over i think it was 2 years? Which is disappointing and i guess theyre weak and rustys didnt aknowledge the problem

TIRES:
Dont know too much about brands but with a 4.5 lift 32s should be fine and is the reccommended tire size shouldnt rub

MOUNTING / BALANCING / ALIGNMENT:
Mounting and balance ranges from 10-15 a tire around my neck of the woods and i would highly reccommend an alignment after your lift no matter what and around here i believe ther 60 or 70$

LONG ARM / SHORT ARM

Im sure u can find threads to find info on them but all the lifts ur looking at is short arms. Long arms give more articulation and give a better highway ride but theyre alot more expensive. Also have more of a sway/ top heavy feel and easier to roll. Some argue its better for offroading but it all depends on what your doing.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Well for instense when I finished my lift and went to.put the trac bar back on it didn't line up at all no matter what I tried come to find out its what aligns the axle left to right andnallows the adjustment to be made so it doesn't look.like its cat walking.....this is a must it gives you and who ever does your alignment full control! The steering stabilizer allows the front end to remain tight I ran my lift without it at first only soon to realize it was worth the 40 bucks to have felt like stock again and more responsive....and RC offers a 4.5" lift plain and a 4.5" LA lift if you truley are going for the flex and use of the lift long arm is the cats ***** but a more affordable all around still have a good time with your buddies kinda deal I think overall you would be happy with standard 4.5" lift plus you can always upgrade to the LA simply by buying the parts that make it that down the road! I've been through college I know what is like on a tight budget :-)
Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Erkmed XJ
Here will be my .02 for what i know

LIFTS:
Rough country has bad flex joint wear and go through them quicker than others (though ive never had experience with this when i had thier lift)

Rustys havent experienced it but ive read and seen pictures of there trackbar just breaking in half over i think it was 2 years? Which is disappointing and i guess theyre weak and rustys didnt aknowledge the problem

TIRES:
Dont know too much about brands but with a 4.5 lift 32s should be fine and is the reccommended tire size shouldnt rub

MOUNTING / BALANCING / ALIGNMENT:
Mounting and balance ranges from 10-15 a tire around my neck of the woods and i would highly reccommend an alignment after your lift no matter what and around here i believe ther 60 or 70$

LONG ARM / SHORT ARM

Im sure u can find threads to find info on them but all the lifts ur looking at is short arms. Long arms give more articulation and give a better highway ride but theyre alot more expensive. Also have more of a sway/ top heavy feel and easier to roll. Some argue its better for offroading but it all depends on what your doing.
Thank you VERY much.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by typicalsundayxj
Well for instense when I finished my lift and went to.put the trac bar back on it didn't line up at all no matter what I tried come to find out its what aligns the axle left to right andnallows the adjustment to be made so it doesn't look.like its cat walking.....this is a must it gives you and who ever does your alignment full control! The steering stabilizer allows the front end to remain tight I ran my lift without it at first only soon to realize it was worth the 40 bucks to have felt like stock again and more responsive....and RC offers a 4.5" lift plain and a 4.5" LA lift if you truley are going for the flex and use of the lift long arm is the cats ***** but a more affordable all around still have a good time with your buddies kinda deal I think overall you would be happy with standard 4.5" lift plus you can always upgrade to the LA simply by buying the parts that make it that down the road! I've been through college I know what is like on a tight budget :-)
Alright sounds good man, thanks a bunch.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:38 PM

Another random question, and this is proving really helpful so thanks a lot guys - Should I buy 3" in leafs and the other 1.5" in shackles? Will it hold up better over time? Also, just found out Rusty's shipping cost is $114... damn.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by luckyAD80
Another random question, and this is proving really helpful so thanks a lot guys - Should I buy 3" in leafs and the other 1.5" in shackles? Will it hold up better over time? Also, just found out Rusty's shipping cost is $114... damn.
Compared to just the 4" springs? Id say the shackle and leaf combo pretty sure it allows for more articulation and as to how it will do later on im not sure
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Erkmed XJ
Compared to just the 4" springs? Id say the shackle and leaf combo pretty sure it allows for more articulation and as to how it will do later on im not sure
Not sure what it's compared to, just an upgradeable option most of these brands offer. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LOTS of questions... future setup