Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Track bar hardware

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Looking for Track bar hardware

So, in the middle of installing a Rubicon Express 5.5" long arm lift. I was taking the old factory track bar off and the bolt/ nut on the axle stripped forcing me to cut the bolt out. I thought the RE kit came with replacement hardware, but the instructions tell me to use existing hardware. I checked with Morris 4X4 as they have had some factory bolts I needed for the lift, but they do not have this bolt. Any ideas on where I can get the bolt/ nut? The is unique as the nut has a small "handle" welded it so that you can reach in the small opening provided to bolt together. This is the tricky part. I imagine the bolt would be easy, but with out the little flagged nut, this will become a difficult process. Again, any idea would be a great help.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/produ...=trac+bar+bolt
Old 06-15-2017, 04:08 PM

Looking at their site, that isn't an OEM bolt. They require you to drill the bolt holes out larger for their HD track bar. Not sure if that would fit the RE track bar.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Chief Gunner
Looking at their site, that isn't an OEM bolt. They require you to drill the bolt holes out larger for their HD track bar. Not sure if that would fit the RE track bar.
Yes its a upgrade. Any local u pull it yards or dealership around ?
Old 06-16-2017, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

I took my old factory bolt/nut bolt to the local bolt/fastener store (real one, not no hardware store), and they gave me the correct size bolt & a serrated face flanged nut to use. Cost less than 5 bucks for the bolt, nut & hardened washer.

You can fit a wrench in there, or if you want, you can weld a 'flag' onto the nut so it works like the original one too. (if you do, weld it on with the bolt IN the nut so the nut doesn't deform on you)

I can't read the guys handwriting from the receipt, or I'd give the bolt specs.....I know it is gr 10.9, and that's all I can reliably make out, but it looks like it says M10 x 70 for the bolt itself.

The serrated face nut worked great, as once it got tight, I could torque it without having to use the 2 wrench method.

Last edited by TRCM; 06-16-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by TRCM
I took my old factory bolt/nut bolt to the local bolt/fastener store (real one, not no hardware store), and they gave me the correct size bolt & a serrated face flanged nut to use. Cost less than 5 bucks for the bolt, nut & hardened washer.

You can fit a wrench in there, or if you want, you can weld a 'flag' onto the nut so it works like the original one too. (if you do, weld it on with the bolt IN the nut so the nut doesn't deform on you)

I can't read the guys handwriting from the receipt, or I'd give the bolt specs.....I know it is gr 10.9, and that's all I can reliably make out, but it looks like it says M10 x 70 for the bolt itself.

The serrated face nut worked great, as once it got tight, I could torque it without having to use the 2 wrench method.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

That's what I usually end up doing, going to Ace and finding something grade 8 to replace the garbage factory hardware. Stainless is nice for any non load-bearing stuff and the zinc coating on the grade 8 stuff seems to be almost as good (till it gets scratched up)
​​​​​
Old 06-16-2017, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

If you got the full RE 5.5 kit, it came with a track bar right? If so, the track bar uses a different, bigger bolt. I had to drill out the mount on the axle to 1/2" and use a bigger bolt then stock. It was supplied with the track bar though. I just got the RE track bar with the mount, not the full long arm kit. But I would imagine that the track bar is the same.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 5-Speed
If you got the full RE 5.5 kit, it came with a track bar right? If so, the track bar uses a different, bigger bolt. I had to drill out the mount on the axle to 1/2" and use a bigger bolt then stock. It was supplied with the track bar though. I just got the RE track bar with the mount, not the full long arm kit. But I would imagine that the track bar is the same.
Yes, the kit came with the track bar, but per the instructions, you use the factory hardware. I had to cut the factory hardware out because the bolt stripped and I could not get it out. I'll probably bite the bullet and just get the hardware form the dealership. I know it will be a bit more expensive, but in the long run, I know it will be the right bolt and it will be one less issue I have to figure out. I was just hoping that someone sold it for a better price and easier to get then dealing with the dealership. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

You can have my factory bolt and fancy nut if you would like. But I still think you need to measure the track bar to verify what bolt it takes. I bet its made for a 1/2 bolt, not factory
Old 06-18-2017, 11:55 AM

You can have my factory bolt and fancy nut if you would like. But I still think you need to measure the track bar to verify what bolt it takes. I bet its made for a 1/2 bolt, not factory
Going over the instructions, it says to use factory hardware. If you still have the nut and bolt, I would love to get it from you. Let me know what you want for it.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Would have offered mine, but it's kinda necked down from corrosion.....not sure how well it would last.

Which is why I replaced it...............
Old 06-22-2017, 07:26 PM

You are in fact correct..... I ordered the factory bolt from the dealership per the instructions that came with the track bar. I noticed that there was a LOT of play with the factory bolt before I put the track bar in. Did a little more looking and saw that RE supplies a "flagged" bolt in 1/2" that goes with their hardware. Somehow, the instructions that came with the track bar must be for a different model. other way, I have the correct hardware, so I can get everything installed just fine. Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

That is good news I guess! Especially since I cant find my original one that I was going to give you... But glad you got it going.