Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for second opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 90'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Angry Looking for second opinion

So I've taken my 1990 XJ (laredo 2 door) to an Off Road shop to order and install my SYE because I'm installing RE 1345 (5.5") coilsprings and leafs today. I've already installed the Adjustable trac bar and will install my short arm adjustable control arms today as well.

FIrstly, he said that an Advanced Adapters SYE was $311 w/ shipping and tax (I've already called to have him cancel the part because I found an AA from Summit for 199 w/ free shipping....)

Also, that I will need a custom rear DS ($425), my front will need to be shortened ($300), caster needs to be reset ($230) and they then send it to an alignment shop at Big Brand tires for $110. He stated the pricey alignment was because if something needed to be "Fixed and adjusted" it covers me to have the shop to drive it back to make "any fixes"...

Labor for removing and installing everything (DS's and SYE) was $450.

So a grand total of $1840 +/- (not subtracting the diff. from SYE kits)

Deal or no deal??? Atleast for the DS work. I haven't heard that the front needed to be shortened and I've seen rear DS's go for about 300+ for lifted jeeps. And what about the caster and alignment price?
Old 03-20-2015, 06:02 PM
Seasoned Member

You are lifting 5.5 inches, and would need a shorter front ds? Maybe im missing something...
Old 03-20-2015, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You sure you don't need a longer front drive shaft? Five and a half inches on short arms? Ouch.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

they are reaming you, custom built rr ds $ 350 tops, everything seems too high.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Ought to name the joint Ben Dover Off Road. (lube not included)
Old 03-20-2015, 07:14 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

It's probably high but you're paying the shops overhead. If you're installing the lift, not them, why not do the SYE yourself and save. You can get the alignment close yourself then take it to the shop for a check and either adjust yourself after or pay the hundred and have them do it.

If you don't have the time, tools, skills or space to do it you have to pay the person that does. Shop around and maybe find a better deal but that price isn't shocking but I live near DC and everything around here is expensive.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:20 PM

Thats pretty high in my opinion but yes like stated before you are paying the shops over head.

If you can do leaf springs you can do the SYE. I was nervous to do mine then after I was done I thought I was crazy for putting it off. Its honestly not that hard.

And no you dont need to shorten a driveline at all. I used a stock front DS for my rear. Im at 4"
Old 03-20-2015, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Maybe call some mechanics... seems to me that an "offroad shop" would be higher than a regular mechanic...
Old 03-20-2015, 07:24 PM

You could check out Craigslist also. There is a guy that I found just a couple miles away that does tons of custom fab stuff on XJs and has extra parts all the time. I dont have him do my installs but he does a lot of good work.

Whats your location OP?
Old 03-21-2015, 03:17 AM

The front ds had me skeptical.I think I'll have him can x that. I have two weeks before I have to move from CA to FL and will be driving the XJ. So I think I'd rather pay them to deal w the slip yoke and rear ds. Rear ds pricey? Yeah id have to agree but I think I'll nip that one in the rear so I don't stress about getting the right length myself. Will also handle the alignment out of the shop too. But setting the caster for 230$??? Can I get away with doing myself with a caster gauge? What's it got to be at? 4-6° to the rear?
Old 03-21-2015, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bustedback
You sure you don't need a longer front drive shaft? Five and a half inches on short arms? Ouch.
My mistake going off of someone's post on jeep forums saying adjustable lowers would be ",ok" but when I can afford it I'll buy the long arm kit
Old 03-21-2015, 06:12 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

You really should wait for this project. If you have any kind of issues, you will be a looong ways away. You will be stressing out if they don't get it done on schedule, IT does happens
Old 03-21-2015, 07:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Larry's XJ
You really should wait for this project. If you have any kind of issues, you will be a looong ways away. You will be stressing out if they don't get it done on schedule, IT does happens
I totally agree with this advice.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:42 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ

At 5.5" lift on short arms, when the suspension droops, the front axle does not move just up and down. It mostly tucks under the jeep and towards the rear, which is collapsing the driveshaft.
Also, if an obstacle is encountered while at droop, suspension resists up-travel. Instead wants to tuck further underneath.
Stock steering will act as a limiting strap also, which pulls on the steering box.
Tatton's driveline has new heavy duty shafts for $225 delivered in U.S. not sure about shipping for your county.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
At 5.5" lift on short arms, when the suspension droops, the front axle does not move just up and down. It mostly tucks under the jeep and towards the rear, which is collapsing the driveshaft. Also, if an obstacle is encountered while at droop, suspension resists up-travel. Instead wants to tuck further underneath. Stock steering will act as a limiting strap also, which pulls on the steering box. Tatton's driveline has new heavy duty shafts for $225 delivered in U.S. not sure about shipping for your county.
Now that makes sense about the drive shaft needing to be shortened. It would be wise for him to wait and save up some more money for a long arm lift.

Quick Reply: Looking for second opinion