Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long block, short block, or buy used.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999.
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0, I6
Default Long block, short block, or buy used.

Hello all was in the process of rebuilding a motor to replace my blown 99 only to find out the motor I got was blown as well. I already bought many upgraded aftermarket and high performance parts for a 4.0 so i don't wanna stroke it even after this last issue. i have a little over $1500 saved up so I with a few more pay checks I can afford any of the options. I understand what is required to buy when it comes to the the long block and short blocks, I know how cheap buying used can be and how expensive it can quickly turn. Is the long block really worth the piece of mind? Ill void the warranty once I install my custom cam and with be off roading the jeep so that also impacts my decisions. Anyone with experience with long or short blocks please share your thoughts or opinions as well and anyone else!!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

The reman will obviously be the easiest(maybe the cheapest). If you rebuild it yourself how much do you think it will run? Autozone sells a reman for 1599 w/o core. Which cam are you planning on running? If its the Mopar 229 for ~230 on Jegs then you are at 1800 in parts(not including the little things that will come up on install).

The warranty isn't really an issue because you are willing to build one yourself which wouldn't be warrantied. If you are buying for the warranty then you wouldn't be able to cam it.

If haven't been over to JeepStrokers.com yet, you may want to check it out just in regards to cams. Obviously not exactly your application but should provide some info on good cams. I know Mudderoy on his XJtalk.com thread had issues with the Crane cam.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Seasoned Member

You say both of your motors are blown? Both blocks are ruined? For 1500 you could definatly take it to a shop and rebuild. But if you just want something to drop in... ATK sells the cheapest reman engine as far as I know and they dont have too many bad reviews. But we need to know more about what your looking for.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by beatricethexj
The reman will obviously be the easiest(maybe the cheapest). If you rebuild it yourself how much do you think it will run? Autozone sells a reman for 1599 w/o core. Which cam are you planning on running? If its the Mopar 229 for ~230 on Jegs then you are at 1800 in parts(not including the little things that will come up on install).

The warranty isn't really an issue because you are willing to build one yourself which wouldn't be warrantied. If you are buying for the warranty then you wouldn't be able to cam it.

If haven't been over to JeepStrokers.com yet, you may want to check it out just in regards to cams. Obviously not exactly your application but should provide some info on good cams. I know Mudderoy on his XJtalk.com thread had issues with the Crane cam.
here is a list of all the after market engine/exhaust parts i have already bought and was in the process of installing only to realize on different motors the motors were shot. im not sure the exact cam im running as all the paper work is in my buddy garage with the jeep, the only reason i mentioned a warrenty is bc if im dropping another grand plus on a short block or long block i dont wanna run into a stupid defect and have my warrenty voided bc of the cam or offroading and be out another grand.

- Thorr Cold Air Intake, Cowl Snorkel kit
- APN Exhaust Manifold
- 99+ Intake Manifold
- Flow Kooler High Performance Water Pump
- Flow Kooler High Performance Thermostat
- Brown Dog Headers Motor Mount Super Kit.
- 2 Speed Electric Fan Upgrade
- CFS High Performance All Metal 3-Row Radiator
- External Transmission Oil Cooler
- Mopar High Performance Oil Pump
- 60mm Bored Throttle Body (99+)
- Rebuilt Dodge Neon (Upgraded) 784 Injectors
- Comp Cams Custom Cam
- OEM 00+ Timing Gear Kit (Cam)
- Performance Curve 2.5” High Performance Catalytic Converter
- Performance Curve Magnaflow Muffler and 2.5” Tailpipe
- Walker OEM Downpipe

Originally Posted by Hayden98XJ
You say both of your motors are blown? Both blocks are ruined? For 1500 you could definatly take it to a shop and rebuild. But if you just want something to drop in... ATK sells the cheapest reman engine as far as I know and they dont have too many bad reviews. But we need to know more about what your looking for.
one motor has blown piston rings, other has blown cam bearings. both blocks look like they should be redone, i have a parts list posted above in this post already, im looking to either have one of my rebuilt or to buy a long or short block.. something i can add my parts too and just toss in.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM

Do you have a local machine shop? If it is just piston rings, you could purchase a re-ring kit. Unless the block looks like it needs a complete rebuild.

Of the short and long blocks you are thinking of, have you read their warranties?
Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by clayton3854

here is a list of all the after market engine/exhaust parts i have already bought and was in the process of installing only to realize on different motors the motors were shot. im not sure the exact cam im running as all the paper work is in my buddy garage with the jeep, the only reason i mentioned a warrenty is bc if im dropping another grand plus on a short block or long block i dont wanna run into a stupid defect and have my warrenty voided bc of the cam or offroading and be out another grand.

- Thorr Cold Air Intake, Cowl Snorkel kit
- APN Exhaust Manifold
- 99+ Intake Manifold
- Flow Kooler High Performance Water Pump
- Flow Kooler High Performance Thermostat
- Brown Dog Headers Motor Mount Super Kit.
- 2 Speed Electric Fan Upgrade
- CFS High Performance All Metal 3-Row Radiator
- External Transmission Oil Cooler
- Mopar High Performance Oil Pump
- 60mm Bored Throttle Body (99+)
- Rebuilt Dodge Neon (Upgraded) 784 Injectors
- Comp Cams Custom Cam
- OEM 00+ Timing Gear Kit (Cam)
- Performance Curve 2.5” High Performance Catalytic Converter
- Performance Curve Magnaflow Muffler and 2.5” Tailpipe
- Walker OEM Downpipe

one motor has blown piston rings, other has blown cam bearings. both blocks look like they should be redone, i have a parts list posted above in this post already, im looking to either have one of my rebuilt or to buy a long or short block.. something i can add my parts too and just toss in.
You do realize all of those parts will work with a stroker kit right ?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ

You do realize all of those parts will work with a stroker kit right ?
This I was not aware of.. Do share more please.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:57 PM

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html

The bottom of that page has several Stroker Recipes. Anything that will bolt to a 4.0 block can be used on a stroker. The main difference between a stroker and a 4.0 is the stroke of the engine. I believe a 258 crank with 258 rods can build a 4.5L stroker. Actually most of the parts you have are needed to get optimum efficiency from a stroker.

Jeepstrokers.com great site for research.

Last edited by beatricethexj; 07-29-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 PM
CF Veteran

This I was not aware of.. Do share more please.
A stroker is a crank with a longer stroke. A crank from a 4.2l will give you a 4.5l. Bore it .40 over and you have a 4.6l The cooling system and exhaust won't change. The injectors will help feed. More fuel
Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
A stroker is a crank with a longer stroke. A crank from a 4.2l will give you a 4.5l. Bore it .40 over and you have a 4.6l The cooling system and exhaust won't change. The injectors will help feed. More fuel
def something id love to do, but not something i have the money for. right now im just looking beef a 4.0 as much as possible, the peace of mind of having a machine shop bring a 99 block and head back to factory specs in addition to all the after market bolt on parts i have is my ultimate goal.

Last edited by clayton3854; 07-30-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:48 PM
CF Veteran

def something id love to do, but not something i have the money for. right now im just looking beef a 4.0 as much as possible, the peace of mind of having a machine shop bring a 99 block and head back to factory specs in addition to all the after market bolt on parts i have is my ultimate goal.
It's at a machine shop already torn down just get a stroker crank for a few hundred bucks. You'll see more gains with a stroker then you will with a 4.0