Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking Center Consoles

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 11:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default Locking Center Consoles

I am getting my carry permit soon and need a better way to lock up my pistol. I have a little lock box, but it's kind of hokey... Can I see some of your guys' upgraded center consoles? Thanks.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Unattended firearm is just begging for a tragedy, keep it on your 6 or in the safe. Carry permit means just what it says.

ETA:
“Carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable; it’s supposed to be comforting. The gun that’s with you is better than the one that’s home in the safe.”
"I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy."

- Clint Smith

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 07-14-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Unattended firearm is just begging for a tragedy, keep it on your 6 or in the safe. Carry permit means just what it says.

ETA:
“Carrying a gun is not supposed to be comfortable; it’s supposed to be comforting. The gun that’s with you is better than the one that’s home in the safe.”
- Clint Smith
No it's not, but that's a can of worms for a different section. I want one for quick trips into the bank (can't have a gun in there), and for when I am in class (can't have a gun in school). Oh, and at work depending on the job (policies, comfort, possibility of damage).

This is exactly why I want a secure, locking console. I can't have it on my everywhere I need to go, but I will have it up until those points.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

You may find YMMV.
I bank at a credit union and I haven't noticed any "No Firearms Allowed" signage.
I would be uncomfortable however waving a handgun around in the parking lot, financial institution or otherwise. Concealed means that I'm the only one who knows, and if my handgun is out of the holster it's because I'm using it.
I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 07-15-2015 at 12:10 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:17 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
You may find YMMV.
I bank at a credit union and I haven't noticed any "No Firearms Allowed" signage.

I would be uncomfortable however waving a handgun around in the parking lot, financial institution or otherwise.
I'm at a CU and they have big signs posted. I know other places will vary.

That's why I'm thinking of a console. It's a short distance without any waving around. I can easily remove the pistol from my holster and slide it back in while sitting.

I have one of those combo boxes with a cable around my seat frame... THAT is definitely waving around. Same with locking guns in the glove box.

As for going off topic, I know it's a touchy subject. We all have different views.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Look up your state laws about carring a gun in your car,Some states say glove box only some say it has to be unloaded it verys big time state to state.I'm glad i live in Kentucky only places here you can't carry is anything goverment owned and banks.And when you go outside the big cities your odd if you don't carry anything lol.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something like this would be better IMHO:

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-285-t...flip-seat.aspx
Old 07-15-2015, 03:55 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

In Arizona you don't need any carry permits and recently they passed the law that you can carry concieled and not have to have a ccw. I carry everywhere I go. If a place has a no firearms policy, I simply do not go there
Old 07-15-2015, 07:58 AM

Year: 1999

In NM you can't carry into a restaurant that serves liquor, (if they only sell beer and wine only you're good) school or federal office, so I see your dilemma. I'm not willing to risk a felony.
There is a guy on here that makes a metal replacement bracket for the center console that replaces the plastic one. Which I recommend so you can bolt it down securely.
I made box and bracket out of sheet metal that I had in the garage. I don't have a pic of the finished box on me but here are some before it was finished. I pulled out the plastic box and replaced it with this and added a lock to it. I just lift the armrest/top of the console and then you can unlock it and open the inside box. I lined it with some fabric on the inside.
Old 07-15-2015, 07:59 AM

sorry here are the pics
Old 07-15-2015, 09:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI the center console no matter if locked and bolted down all it takes to get in is a fist hammer blow to break the top to pieces, or the hinges just break off.

I have a CCW also and do so at all times I stay out of places where issues happen all to often bars and the like, I don't drink any more so nothing there to worry about. But I do carry everywhere else and the key to it is do nothing stupid or to draw attention to yourself has served me well for many years. Buy a good gun belt for CC and a good IWB holster that fits you and the gun well so you can carry it for many hrs. at a time with extra clips or speed loaders with comfort.

I never leave a sidearm unsecured in a car in my XJ I have lockable storage in the rear in the cubby area on the pass side. It is a steel box that is custom fit to that area but sticks out some and has a lockable steel lid on it. A fellow on here fabs them in the fabrication section. Excellent quality and workmanship bought mine several years ago. It comes with hardware and bolts to the steel backing in the rear of the box to the XJ with 3 1/2" bolts quite secure.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

I would use this:
http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Bulldog...0_p_29963.html

You can bolt it down under a front seat or under the rear storage area I would also use steel cable to lock it to something solid

I understand sometimes needing to leave a firearm in the vehicle, I do the same thing when I go in the post office or a government building. i would not however leave a firearm unattended in vehicle for prolonged periods.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by peligro113
I would use this:
http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Bulldog...0_p_29963.html

You can bolt it down under a front seat or under the rear storage area I would also use steel cable to lock it to something solid

I understand sometimes needing to leave a firearm in the vehicle, I do the same thing when I go in the post office or a government building. i would not however leave a firearm unattended in vehicle for prolonged periods.
That looks like a winner. I'll have to measure under my seat and dash to see if I have room for it. Thanks!