Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockers.... Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lockers.... Help

I have a 94 Cherokee sport . I believe I have the Chrysler 8.25 rear end .... I want to put a rear locker on it .... Which should I get ? For mud and street.... Is it something I can put in myself or do I need to go to a shop
Thanks -corey
Old 02-21-2016, 10:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

We don't know your mechanical your skill level, so we can't say if you can do it yourself. They type of locker is a major factor of shop vs DIY.
Take a minute and research, I'm sure research will answer many of your questions.

Last edited by jay_sco; 02-21-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Welcome to the forum!

In your 94 model you have the smaller spline count axle it would be a good idea to upgrade to a 97-01 Cherokee 29 spline Chy 8.25 for strength.

Corey one issue you need to address is what size tire your going to run as it determines the gear ratio that is required for you. Stock gears don't work with large tires needed for mud and for the lockers a lot of them need to be ordered by the gears your running.

The type of locker depends a lot on your budget and the need for one in the front also not as much there a zip locker would be cheap and work. The rear is a different story if the budget were there selectable lockers would be the correct answer for you but $$$$.

Personally I run full case auto lockers, Detroit Lockers ft. and rear in mine. Some people don't know how to drive with an auto locker in the rear so use a lsd, but not so good for use in mud though. and do have to be rebuilt discs wear out.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Welcome to the forum!

In your 94 model you have the smaller spline count axle it would be a good idea to upgrade to a 97-01 Cherokee 29 spline Chy 8.25 for strength.

Corey one issue you need to address is what size tire your going to run as it determines the gear ratio that is required for you. Stock gears don't work with large tires needed for mud and for the lockers a lot of them need to be ordered by the gears your running.

The type of locker depends a lot on your budget and the need for one in the front also not as much there a zip locker would be cheap and work. The rear is a different story if the budget were there selectable lockers would be the correct answer for you but $$$$.

Personally I run full case auto lockers, Detroit Lockers ft. and rear in mine. Some people don't know how to drive with an auto locker in the rear so use a lsd, but not so good for use in mud though. and do have to be rebuilt discs wear out.
You can also swap in 29 spline shafts and a full case locker when you do the gear change instead of buying a 97-99 axle.
Also the 2000- 2001 Dana 30s are low pinions. (And weaker)
This way you don't waste money buying an axle that you then have to change gear ratios and install a locker in anyway.

Last edited by Rock Toy; 02-21-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:37 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the reply ! That's a big reply lol . Money isn't to bad off an issue . I mine as well and buy something that will last instead of going with bull.... I have 31s on it atm. Butt I'll be running 33 11.50s . Should I change my gears first before a locker ? If so what kind of gears ? I still need to use the interstate
Old 02-21-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

I would do both at the same time, for gear ratio 33's require 4.56 but I'd do 4.88 in case you decide to go up to 35" tires
Old 02-22-2016, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
You can also swap in 29 spline shafts and a full case locker when you do the gear change instead of buying a 97-99 axle.
Also the 2000- 2001 Dana 30s are low pinions. (And weaker)
This way you don't waste money buying an axle that you then have to change gear ratios and install a locker in anyway.

I think I missed something about the LPD30 I never mentioned that as I don't think his has one in that year. Yes thanks for the correction on the 29 spline axles working with a full case locker in his current setup.

Originally Posted by Corey Curnutt
Thank you for the reply ! That's a big reply lol . Money isn't to bad off an issue . I mine as well and buy something that will last instead of going with bull.... I have 31s on it atm. Butt I'll be running 33 11.50s . Should I change my gears first before a locker ? If so what kind of gears ? I still need to use the interstate

The correct gear for a 33" tire is a 4.56 and with it brings things back to what they were with a stock size tire and 3.55 gear. So in that case your highway MPG's will increase mine did when I switched to them from 3.55's and a 33x12:50 tire by about 5+MPG.

Its best to install the gears/lockers at the same time due to the cost savings on labor no extra to do with a full case locker in the rear. That way you can keep your current differential and just buy 2 29 spline stock axles to go in it from a 97-01 Cherokee.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:48 AM

I think I missed something about the LPD30 I never mentioned that as I don't think his has one in that year. Yes thanks for the correction on the 29 spline axles working with a full case locker in his current setup.

The correct gear for a 33" tire is a 4.56 and with it brings things back to what they were with a stock size tire and 3.55 gear. So in that case your highway MPG's will increase mine did when I switched to them from 3.55's and a 33x12:50 tire by about 5+MPG.

Its best to install the gears/lockers at the same time due to the cost savings on labor no extra to do with a full case locker in the rear. That way you can keep your current differential and just buy 2 29 spline stock axles to go in it from a 97-01 Cherokee.
So what exactly should I order ... I'll order 4.56 gears and 2 stock 2 29 spline stock and lockers ?
Old 02-23-2016, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

PM sent