Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lockers?

Old 07-12-2011, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Lockers?

Hey everyone I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have been asked a million times. I'm working on building my 97 xj and I need some locker advice. I've ordered an RE 5.5 short arm lift and I'm planning on running 33s. It wont be driven everyday on the street but I'd like to be able to drive it around town of needed. I'll be running the stock hp Dana 30 in the front with an ox locker but I'm swapping in an 8.8 with discs from an explorer to get rid of the D35. Any advice on a good rear locker? I like the ox but it was so expensive... Thanks for the help!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by BNJeepsta
Hey everyone I'm new to this site so I'm sorry if I'm asking questions that have been asked a million times. I'm working on building my 97 xj and I need some locker advice. I've ordered an RE 5.5 short arm lift and I'm planning on running 33s. It wont be driven everyday on the street but I'd like to be able to drive it around town of needed. I'll be running the stock hp Dana 30 in the front with an ox locker but I'm swapping in an 8.8 with discs from an explorer to get rid of the D35. Any advice on a good rear locker? I like the ox but it was so expensive... Thanks for the help!
detroit is a good inexensive locker
Old 07-12-2011, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

Are you lookin for a selectable or auto locker? If you looking for a selectable locker then one that I think is better then an air locker and cheaper would be a E locker found here:

http://http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom...tials/Elocker/

There about $700 but you don't have to deal with having on board air and air lines. Just press a button and boom your diff is locked.*
If you don't want/need a slectable locker then a detroit locker is very strong and*dependable. If you want even cheaper then go with a*powertrax locker which is a "lunch box" type of locker but still a very good one. No clicks or pops and still works very well.*

Brandon
Old 07-12-2011, 10:33 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 I6

Here is where you can find that lunch box locker

http://http://www.rocky-road.com/noslip.html

Brandon
Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Detroit all the way for the rear
Old 07-13-2011, 01:30 AM
CF Veteran

Depends on your budget with the locker selection
Old 07-13-2011, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Not to hijack but its along the same topic, Are there any selectable locker options for the 8.25? All I saw was the ARB but those things cost a small fortune, I'd prefer an Eaton E locker or OX Locker. Are they not available?
Old 07-13-2011, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

I've heard that the Detroit is really good for the price. Id like to stay under $800 as I already have over $1200 into the ox locker setup in the front. Has anyone tried out the Aussie lockers?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaXJ
Not to hijack but its along the same topic, Are there any selectable locker options for the 8.25? All I saw was the ARB but those things cost a small fortune, I'd prefer an Eaton E locker or OX Locker. Are they not available?
Nope, ARB is the only selectable available for the 8.25" axle. Send Eaton an Email and tell them to start building E-lockers for this axle.

RE won't have parts available until October (was August, but that's changed).

At 5.5" you should really be looking at longarms.

Avoid the Ox Locker like the plague!! Had one for 1 season...never again. Get an Eaton E-Locker, been running them front and rear for 3 years and haven't had any problems what so ever.

Lastly, Check out the Vendor Forum here. You'll find some great stuff there.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by FrankZ
Nope, ARB is the only selectable available for the 8.25" axle. Send Eaton an Email and tell them to start building E-lockers for this axle.
I don't see them jumping on it because the all mighty OttawaXJ emailed them lol
Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

True, but the more people that contact them with the same request the better the chance of seeing an e-locker for the 8.25.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:51 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by FrankZ

RE won't have parts available until October (was August, but that's changed).

At 5.5" you should really be looking at longarms.

Avoid the Ox Locker like the plague!! Had one for 1 season...never again. Get an Eaton E-Locker, been running them front and rear for 3 years and haven't had any problems what so ever.

Lastly, Check out the Vendor Forum here. You'll find some great stuff there.
Yep just got an email saying that an RE lift won't be available till almost November. What the hell is with that?? Why do you say no to the ox locker? Ive heard they are super reliable.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I've heard bad things about the E locker.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
I've heard bad things about the E locker.
Really? What have you heard? Got a link?

Yep just got an email saying that an RE lift won't be available till almost November. What the hell is with that?? Why do you say no to the ox locker? Ive heard they are super reliable.
I melted 2 cables even though I routed them as far away from exhaust as possible. The cable required constant adjustment to work. I spent more time adjusting the damn thing than you can imagine. Final straw was when the bolts that held it together came loose and ended up in the bottom of the diff.

Last edited by SeriousOffroad; 07-13-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

lol ARB in the rear it is for me then.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lockers?