Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights Flickering...Sort of

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L V6
Default Lights Flickering...Sort of

So I'm in NY...far from home in NC, and as I was headed to "home" tonight (approx 50 min drive total) I noticed about 15 mins in that my lights coming off the highway started pulsing erratically and enough to notice it, but not be of total concern. About 5 mins later when I got onto the next highway merge and started speeding up, they started flickering on and off erratically. For troubleshooting purposes, I tried on the high beams.... no problems. Changed back, pulsing on and off erratically. Suffice to say, the rest of the drive was completed with high beams on. Once I turned onto my road, I changed back over to lows and they worked like a champ.

I recently (4-5 months ago) did the Putco H4 conversion (Hella H4 lamp and bulb (100-80W) with Putco wire harness) upgrade after I had a similar issue where the lamps (both high and low beam) were cutting on and off, and I found a burnt out headlight switch, which I know is common for stock. I installed a brand new switch obviously as well at the time. I haven't had the opportunity to look at the wiring or the switch yet, but after going this long without issue, I don't think my work could be bad. Thinking perhaps the switch is burning out again? Any thoughts or suggestions? I've naturally some tools and such to make some repairs if need be, but nothing serious. Appreciate any help in advance!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:22 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Make sure the grounds for the Putco relays are on bright shiny metal.