Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lift question for XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Default lift question for XJ

hey guys i just have a fast few questions about lifting my truck more. i have a 2" in the front and the back is around 2.75". im gonna be making a mutt/frankinstine kit. i have 2" coil springs n im gonna get 2" blocks and for my rear i already have 2" HD leafs and the 2" lift shackles..... ik i need bigger shocks, longer tie rod, control arms... my questions are do i need both upper and lower control arms or just lower, what shocks are you guys running (hears skyjacker ride nice and ik roughcountry ride decent), and tie rod suggestions (adjustable or get the re locator bracket)?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Don't use blocks and search the site.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

X2 on the block - don't use 'em. Unless you're talking about coil spacers, in which case those are fine to use assuming you're talking about something like this:

Not sure what you mean by "tie rod" though... your tierod is the steering linkage that runs from the draglink to the driver side steering knuckle. The draglink is the steering linkage that runs from the pitman arm on the steering box down to the passenger side steering knuckle.

The trackbar is the suspension link that runs from the driver side frame rail down the passenger side of the axle.

this is a TJ, but the set up on an XJ is identical:

As far as the control arms go, I'd say lowers at a minimum, and uppers would be recommended. For shocks, if you want cheap, go Rough Country or the like, if you want good go Bilstein.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Amaggiotta
hey guys i just have a fast few questions about lifting my truck more. i have a 2" in the front and the back is around 2.75". im gonna be making a mutt/frankinstine kit. i have 2" coil springs n im gonna get 2" blocks and for my rear i already have 2" HD leafs and the 2" lift shackles..... ik i need bigger shocks, longer tie rod, control arms... my questions are do i need both upper and lower control arms or just lower, what shocks are you guys running (hears skyjacker ride nice and ik roughcountry ride decent), and tie rod suggestions (adjustable or get the re locator bracket)?
1) 2" coil spacers. Blocks are for the back and baaaaaad.

2) Lower control arms, yes. Preferrably adjustable for proper alignment and for future growth.

3) Adjustable track bar, yes, tie rod no. Again, for proper alignment and future growth.

4) Everyone on here will say Bilstien 5100's or Old Man Emu. If thats too pricey make sure they're monotube at least.