Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Kit arrived, any other things to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Lift Kit arrived, any other things to replace?

Almost ready to install my RE 3.5" Super Flex with Leaf Packs. I was thinking though before I install this if I should also look at replacing the tie rod ends or just replacing all the components for a fresh front end. Im running 32's once lifted and steering does feel a little loose in the current stock setup.

What are your recommendations?

P.S. Im nervous about the rear shackle bolts freezing up on me. Any Tips and Tricks??

Thanks in Advance!!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:18 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Replace whats loose.

Shackle bolts: PB Blaster, Breaker bar, cheater pipe, and a lot of grunts!
Old 09-18-2014, 09:06 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I recently installed the superride version of that lift. I would highly recommend purchasing an SYE kit and sourcing a rear CV driveshaft and buying some 3* or 4* shims for the rear leafs to correct your rear pinion angle. Also, I can't recall if the Super Flex has adjustable LCAs but if not I would recommend you pick up at least adjustable lowers to set your front pinion angle after the lift.

I know that sounds like a lot but its what I needed to do after just installing the RE 3.5 with a 1" tcase drop. Had vibes until I did these things.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:55 AM

Thanks! I think all the extra will eventually come. I was just thinking of updating the front suspension/steering components. If vibes are present I'll have to do things in shorter steps to fix it. What SYE kit did you go with?

I was looking at the heavy duty tie rod set or the beefier zj set? What years are compatible. I know I can get that at autozone for under $100 from what I read on here.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:01 AM

Engine: 4.0L

I bought my SYE kit and driveshaft from Adam's Driveshafts. Price was right. They build the shafts themselves and the SYE is an Advanced Adapters kit I believe.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A few days before you do the lift hit every bolt your taking off with pb blaster it helps.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:12 AM

Using a breaker bar will help. I used a handle to a jack and used that for leverage. I had to put locking vise grip on one end and loosen on the other to get the rear shackles off.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:03 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
A few days before you do the lift hit every bolt your taking off with pb blaster it helps.
^ do this every day for a few days. Be sure to hit the nuts & threads on the bolts. Stupid to say, but a buddy if mine sprayed the heads of the bolts & said BP didn't work...

I'd pickup steering upgrades, my steering was really bad, thought I had a bad steering box, ended up installing Serious UTK steering & ball joints. Tightened right up.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:45 AM

I'd pickup steering upgrades, my steering was really bad, thought I had a bad steering box, ended up installing Serious UTK steering & ball joints. Tightened right up.[/QUOTE]

I thought about getting that set up, what ball joints did you go with? Also with that steering set up,are you running a stabalizer? Frank from serious claims no need for it.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:53 AM

Nah, our nimble little XJs don't really need a steering stabilizer. I ended up putting one on my dana44 but that was just cuz i had one given to me for free AND i was convinced it would tighten up my steering now having a full width front end....... But it didnt do a damn thing
Old 09-19-2014, 09:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Same here, I'm not running a steering stabilizer either. I also don't DD my XJ, but with everything new in my front end it rides like a dream even with 35" MTR's.

Ball joints, uppers are Moog, & I went with stock crown lowers. I'll probably end up replacing the lowers with Moog's or alloy's down the road. I had them laying around.

My HP30 wasn't shot when I got it, but I replaced everything since it was just sitting in my garage for a couple months, down to every bolt & nut.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

I have basically piecemealed that kit together over a year or so. Started with the RE 2" budget kit, then started swapping things out.

I just (as in "yesterday") put on a new RE adjustable track bar (and the required bracket). All I can say is "wow." I have no idea how I ever drove it before this. It's like a whole new way, way, way more solid feeling truck.

I'm pretty sure your kit already comes with the new lower control arms though and I'm still running stock, soooooo, I'm actually not sure if that's worth mentioning here other than to say I'm jealous of your lower control arms.

One of these days . . .
Old 09-19-2014, 12:38 PM

The kit looks well put together. Instructions arent to informative but after watching multiple YouTube videos i think i can manage installing this.

You said Track Bar bracket. I didnt see anywhere that this was a required piece of hardware.

Do i need this before installing?!

Was going to put an order into Serious for the new steering setup. I should probably look for that bracket while im at it.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:48 PM

Nevermind, I have the smaller track bar RE1660 needs the Heavy duty bracket. I have the RE1600 for the 3.5"-4.5" lifts.