Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liberty rear axle question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Liberty rear axle question.

I've been studying my brother liberty rear axle. His is an 06 and it has an 8.25 axle just like I have in my 2000. I always wanted to do a rear coil conversion on my XJ. Since they are both 8.25 and have same gear ratio and width and nicely done with rear disc brakes. I have good welding ability and good measuring skills. I was wondering have any one thought about doing this and I'm still trying to figure out the shock locations as well.

KJ rear axle:

The design is almost similar with an WJ.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Mr.JayDeeM
I've been studying my brother liberty rear axle. His is an 06 and it has an 8.25 axle just like I have in my 2000. I always wanted to do a rear coil conversion on my XJ. Since they are both 8.25 and have same gear ratio and width and nicely done with rear disc brakes. I have good welding ability and good measuring skills. I was wondering have any one thought about doing this and I'm still trying to figure out the shock locations as well.

KJ rear axle:

The design is almost similar with an WJ.

in my opinion, the geometry on the KJ rear suspension is worthless and prone to bushing failure.

while i do agree with the coil conversion part, using the stock setup will not be worth it.

but if you were stuck on using that axle, you could make your own "longer" DOM arms and wishbone setup using a geometry that would actually be beneficial. which means trashing the stock balljoint style mount ontop of the diff in favor of a mount for a bushing or heim.

Last edited by N20jeep; 11-21-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plan is to use custom made long arms though.