Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

let me see your interior cages

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default let me see your interior cages

i just picked up some .120 x 1.5'' tubing and im curious to see what what people have come up with i have a bunch of ideas but only enough metal to build one cage, lol.

if you could post pics and total tubing length it would be appreciated

and please tell me if you would have done anything different and when i decide what to do i will use this thread to let you see the progress
Old 07-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Get on pirate there is an entire cage thread for cherokees. Why are you using 1.5 OD tubing?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:26 PM

I don't have a cage, but I do have a Rusty's Off Road roll bar.

Last edited by lynskynbnd; 06-20-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 2001 4.0L

Originally Posted by biggoofy
Get on pirate there is an entire cage thread for cherokees. Why are you using 1.5 OD tubing?

i wouldnt run anything else besides 1.5'' on an interior cage. saves space.

why would you use bigger?
Old 07-31-2011, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by hudfabxj
i wouldnt run anything else besides 1.5'' on an interior cage. saves space.

why would you use bigger?
Strength?

I've been looking into building a cage for myself. Both interior and exo.

I have looked around, called a few shops (both racing and other), did research on forums and such.

Most everything I came across was built with 1.75" with either .120 or .095 wall.

The wall thickness plays a big part as well.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

im not worried about the strength of the metal at all ive helped build a few dirt track cars and the specs for those cars are only .088 wall so falling over at 5 miles an hour doesnt really concern me.

and the way that the cage is constructed plays a large roll in its strength, i went to wyotech for custom fab i know my choices in metal will be fine im just curious to see what people have come up with

R and D is everything to someone that wants something right
Old 07-31-2011, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

MY interior cage is made out of 1.75. You are right most rolls happen at 5 miles an hour or less... but normally it just isnt one impact. When I rolled the sami buggy... I ended up bending 3 tubes.. and it wasnt a hard flop. Cage is built out of 1.5.

When I flopped my truggy I severly bent my door barand that has 1.75 tubes

ALL of these events happened at a speed of stupid slow...
Old 07-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

My interior is 1.75 .12 wall and I dont think I would ever go any smaller also are you using DOM or HREW?
Old 07-31-2011, 06:20 PM
CF Veteran

what thickness are you running and its the whole principle of falling down something is supposed to get scuffed,

and im just wonderin why and who moved me to advan tech im not *****in but this is not a motor rebuild
Old 07-31-2011, 06:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: classified information
Engine: .30 over 4.0

Slow speed roll can have just as much damage as a higher speed roll. Lots of factors here. How it rolls or flops, cage construction, welds, tube used, weight of the vehicle, & even the terrain ect ect ect. Even a properly installed cage can & will get bend. Let's face it even a 1.5 bar has to be better than the tin can roof you have now. I have my cage about 1/2 way done. I have front & mid hoops in & the overhead tie bars installed with gussets installed. Still have dash bar, belt bar, rear half to install I'm also installing diamond plate floors at the same time.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

i do have experience with with type of work im just making sure im gonna make the best decision based on the amount of tubing etc..

the point of this is to make it where i dont build this and say ah **** that would have been a better design

is there anything you would do different with the things you know now, hindsight is always 20/20
Old 07-31-2011, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by projectmayhem
and im just wonderin why and who moved me to advan tech im not *****in but this is not a motor rebuild
Normally I would not answer, but it was me.

Read the following. It can be found as a sticky at the top of the fab section.

Originally Posted by nukinfuts29
Ok so maybe not the *ultimate* guide, but the title sure got you to read this so let's get to it!

The Fabrication section is confusing and misunderstood. When we hear "fabrication" we think this is the perfect place to post questions about building things right? Perfectly logical assumption, but wrong. Fabrication is reserved for completed and under going projects, not for questions and general chat about fabrication.

If you do have questions the best option is to search (top right of the website, down and to the left of your username) but we all know that can be an overwhelming tool. That in mind I have compiled a few of the most common things posted here that do not belong, and you may find them useful and informative

Need help welding? You can find threads about welders, welding, and other related topics here:

Welding Tips

Looking to build some home made stuff? Need ideas? This is the PERFECT thread for it. You will find lots of ideas, and it will also demonstrate the proper use for the Fabrication section!

Homebrew Jeep Mods

Time to build a bumper? Here are some users bumpers, ideas, and tricks!

Bumper Ideas

Using the search function:

The search tool is a powerful and confusing thing. This forum is so large that you may search for something and have a very hard time finding anything related to that. For example when making a search for bumper ideas, searching for "bumper ideas" it took me a good 15 minutes to find more than one useful thread. Why? Well simple, there is so much data here with those keywords.

What's the solution? Try getting clever with the keywords you are using. I tried searching by a specific bumper using "stinger" and i found much more useful information.

Another good trick is using google to search the forums. When you go to google and want to search for something, say bumper ideas, enter it as follows (without the " "):

"Bumper Ideas site:www.cherokeeforum.com"

When all else fails....

Feel free to make a post. You can follow the link below to submit you're question and get the answers you need!

Post a new question (Click Here)
Old 07-31-2011, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

I could have put this in Chat, but felt it was more valuable than a "Chat" topic.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: classified information
Engine: .30 over 4.0

Mines a jeepspeed cage. I'm a welder but I don't have a bender so buying the bent hoops saved me time n $$$$. I don't think it'll ever be truely done, its just slowly progressing. Ill always be adding, changing, modifying it.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

I saw someone post a link to a 3 ton hydraulic bender for $400.

Probably the route I'll take.

Quick Reply: let me see your interior cages