Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A less than 2" lift with a $1,000 budget. Input appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default A less than 2" lift with a $1,000 budget. Input appreciated.

I'd like some advice on my lift plans. My goals are a less than 2" lift with 31's. A 1.5" lift would be ideal. The $1k budget is solely for suspension components and does not include wheels/ tires. My logic behind this is as follows:

-I don't plan on rock crawling or any hard core off roading... at this time. At most this jeep will see some modest trails and dirt roads.
-I don't want a budget boost, I don't mind paying for quality.
-I come from a performance/ rally background. I know this is a jeep and is not a WRX, but I'd like it to be able to handle some speed on a fireroad. Unfortunately I cannot afford a jeep speed build, so I'll take what I can get. Lower is better.
-I'm wanting to avoid the need of a SYE or TC drop if I can. I have POS D35 and don't want to waste the money on a driveshaft for it.
-The Bilstein 5100's (F: 24-185622, R: 24-185639) have the length to support a lift from ~1-3 inches (correct me if I'm wrong). This would give me room to go higher in the future if I wanted to.

I have the shocks picked out but need help with the springs, both coils and leafs.

For the front the OME 930 coils may work. I need to confirm if they actually provide the the rated 1.75". I'm open to other suggestions. The ZJ springs may be too short for the extended length of the shocks.

For the rear the options are limited. OME no longer makes a light duty/ 2" leaf spring. The CS033rb's actually provide close to 3" of lift WITH a leaf removed. These are what is included in Quadratec's incorrectly named OME 1.5" XJ lift kit. The crown HD factory replacement leafs provide ~1" of height from what I've read. With the proper shackle or shackle relocation kit they may be perfect for getting the rear end a little under 2" of lift.

Any thoughts and advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ExpeditionXJ; 06-25-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I do not have a thorough answer, just picking.
Seems to me like OME has the quality ride you are after. Just have to figure out the details. Try DPG Offroad , I believe the guys name is Dirk. They are a knowledgeable supplier of OME and can be reached by phone.
ZJ coils, I understand are stiff on an XJ. Stock coil springs have a rating of 147 pounds. Most aftermaket coils are around 180.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
I do not have a thorough answer, just picking.
Seems to me like OME has the quality ride you are after. Just have to figure out the details. Try DPG Offroad , I believe the guys name is Dirk. They are a knowledgeable supplier of OME and can be reached by phone.
ZJ coils, I understand are stiff on an XJ. Stock coil springs have a rating of 147 pounds. Most aftermaket coils are around 180.
Thanks for the reply! Dirk's a great guy and I'd love to go full OME. They just no longer make rear leafs that will give a 2" or under lift.

I'm sure the ZJ coils are stiff as hell! They'd have to be to provide a 2" lift and keep the same length as the XJ's. lol
Old 06-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OME coils are great! And they will net you the 1.75".

No way will you get a full lift for $1K..........I've got about $1700 in mine.

No kits, buy the best part.

And you'll really enjoy the 5100s
Old 06-24-2015, 08:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BTW, I highly recommend the ACOS. If you can swing the $240 the fist time around........

Will net you right at 3" off the bat. And fully adjustable from then on.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998

Here's my perspective after 3 years with my lift...

I got the now unavailable OME 2" light duty rear springs. They have been great, and provide a good ride. I put 2" poly spacers up front. Like you, I didn't intend to do a lot of rock crawling (most of Texas is fairly flat), and the stock front coils have been perfectly adequate. I have not needed a SYE or a T-case drop, and all the stock drive shafts are in use.
It rides well on the street, tracks well, and I have no issues with death wobble.

However...

If you want something that will handle any kind of speed without bottoming out too easily on unpaved roads, the light duty OME may not be for you. I say maybe. I have noticed that if I'm trying to make a light at an intersection, and there is a dip where the roads cross, I can sometimes hear the tires rub the flares at anything over 30 MPH. Now, I have 1.25" spacers on my factory Jeep Ravine wheels, just to give it a slightly wider stance, and that additional tire projection will contribute to the rubbing. But also keep in mind I'm only running 235/75-15 Firestone Destination AT's, which are about a 29" tire. I think trying to run a 31 on 2" of lift is asking a bit too much, much less trying to pull it off at 1.5" of lift. 31"s are typically recommended for those guys that have 3" - 3.5" lifts. I have an RC 4.5" X-Series waiting to go in, and I'll be running 31's with that.
My advice would be, without using wheel spacers and having a factory wheel back-set, you'd shouldn't go more than 30's on a 2" lift, unless you plan to trim and/or out in Bushwacker Flat Flares.

I have an Or-Fab front winch bumper with Smitty Comp 8000 winch. I also have a lightweight aluminum Surco roof rack with 5 LED light pods mounted to it. I don't typically keep a lot of gear in the back. I have a 22" toolbox with some basics, a portable jumstarter battery, and a small Masterflow Tsunami MF-1050 compressor that weighs about 5 pounds.

Also, I'm using cheap Pro Comp ES3000 shocks (about $40 each) and the ride has been just fine for the last 3 years as my daily driver. I don't know that spending large coin on 5100's is all that necessary for such a small lift, but that's your call. I do plan on moving to some Doetsch Tech shocks once I put my 4.5" lift on.

So...
Rear springs - $230
Coil spacers - $40
Shocks - $160
Karnage Offroad rear upper shock mounts - $50

Total damage - $480, and 3 years of happiness.

bumper 4

Old 06-24-2015, 10:41 PM

Macgyver,

Thanks for the informative response! I am planning on doing either the Bushwacker (look sexy as hell) or Napier (look like *** to me personally) flat flares. The Napier offer much more clearance.

I appreciate you calling me out on asking for to much. I kind of figured this would be the case. There's just no way in hell a 31" will stuff properly on a 3.75" or 4" backspacesd wheel with a less than 2" lift. I figured I'd need stiff springs in front and rear for any sort of speed, and your experience with the light duty springs confirms it.

Nice looking jeep by the way.

Thanks again!

Last edited by ExpeditionXJ; 06-24-2015 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

http://www.ironman4x4.com/products/j...with-foam-cell
(45mm= 1.78")
These guys shocks are better than OMEs... also made in Australia. They no longer list prices online but about two years ago when I made this list:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/je...mpanies-76868/, it was about 1100$ for the kit.

These guys are expensive but apparently make awesome stuff... also Australian. http://www.toughdogdealer.com.au/xjc...htm#suspension

While these guys don't have much in the way of reviews for the XJ yet, they make good stuff. The kit includes bilsteins but uses a shackle instead of a full leaf pack. The kit is 750$ and you could easily get a new set of leafs to go on with it and still hit your 1000 mark.
http://racecardynamics.com/2wd/122-2...j-4wd-2wd.html

Ive ran a bunch of different shocks... So far my favorites are the bilstein 5100s/5125s. They are just a good shock. The reason I posted the above links is I am sure you could contact them and get what you are looking for parts wise. I know you werent really looking for a kit. They are all good companies with a quality product.

Personally, I would just go bigger But I understand that is not for everyone...

Last edited by Ianf406; 06-25-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
http://www.ironman4x4.com/products/j...with-foam-cell
(45mm= 1.78")
These guys shocks are better than OMEs... also made in Australia. They no longer list prices online but about two years ago when I made this list:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/je...mpanies-76868/, it was about 1100$ for the kit.

These guys are expensive but apparently make awesome stuff... also Australian. http://www.toughdogdealer.com.au/xjc...htm#suspension

While these guys don't have much in the way of reviews for the XJ yet, they make good stuff. The kit includes bilsteins but uses a shackle instead of a full leaf pack. The kit is 750$ and you could easily get a new set of leafs to go on with it and still hit your 1000 mark.
http://racecardynamics.com/2wd/122-2...j-4wd-2wd.html

Ive ran a bunch of different shocks... So far my favorites are the bilstein 5100s/5125s. They are just a good shock. The reason I posted the above links is I am sure you could contact them and get what you are looking for parts wise. I know you werent really looking for a kit. They are all good companies with a quality product.

Personally, I would just go bigger But I understand that is not for everyone...
Thanks for the info and the links. Cost really isn't an issue. I have $6k in the Jeep fund lol. I honestly have the tendency to go overboard. Last week I sourcing a Dana 44, getting the new $1700 medal cloak kit (except the track bar because I want a IRO double shear), 32" tires, front and rear lockers, and a regear....

But I've sense come to my senses. I took my stock jeep with balding tires to a local off road park and had a blast. However, I'd rather some thing mild and and hold off on blowing $7k on a suspension and drive train until I decide I'll stick to this as a hobby.

Right now I'm leaning towards an "under 3" lift like Dirk's 2.5" kit. Or go with something lower and some 30's.... I really want to build a stroker! Though I paid a premium for an XJ that only has 90K miles.

Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2015, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke to Dirk and he is a guru on the kits. However, I didn't need all the sway-bar disco's and other hard core components because all this jeep will see is the beach. Ended up going with the Quadratrac OME 1.5 kit. Once you buy all the bushings, u-bolts, it was just under 1k. I got about 2.25-2 1/2". Cannot believe the ride quality. I have put lifts on a lot of my trucks thru the years and I have never put a lift on and had the vehicle ride better afterwards until now. Running 265's now and if I had to do it over again I'd drop down a size or two. No flares. I think they would work with flares. Pics on OME lift kill thread.Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by SeaVee
I spoke to Dirk and he is a guru on the kits. However, I didn't need all the sway-bar disco's and other hard core components because all this jeep will see is the beach. Ended up going with the Quadratrac OME 1.5 kit. Once you buy all the bushings, u-bolts, it was just under 1k. I got about 2.25-2 1/2". Cannot believe the ride quality. I have put lifts on a lot of my trucks thru the years and I have never put a lift on and had the vehicle ride better afterwards until now. Running 265's now and if I had to do it over again I'd drop down a size or two. No flares. I think they would work with flares. Pics on OME lift kill thread.Good luck and keep us posted.
I was following your posts in the OME thread. Thanks for chiming in. I think I may end up going with that kit and using the t-case drop as a temporary fix. I hope there's enough room for up travel with the Bushwhacker flares, and 3.75" back spaced wheels.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:13 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by ExpeditionXJ
I was following your posts in the OME thread. Thanks for chiming in. I think I may end up going with that kit and using the t-case drop as a temporary fix. I hope there's enough room for up travel with the Bushwhacker flares, and 3.75" back spaced wheels.
For what you are talking about, I might try:

1) spacers on the front
2) shackle relocators and shackles on the back
3) front and rear bump stops
4) cut front fenders, cut and fold rears
5) I'm not sure you can fit a double shear track bar at this height.
6) I'm not sure what your sway bar disconnect options are
7) I think you can bend the brake hard lines to get a little extra length
Old 06-26-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Those OME ZJ coils netted me 3.5" of lift on a stock XJ
Old 06-26-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by sreeb
For what you are talking about, I might try:

1) spacers on the front
2) shackle relocators and shackles on the back
3) front and rear bump stops
4) cut front fenders, cut and fold rears
5) I'm not sure you can fit a double shear track bar at this height.
6) I'm not sure what your sway bar disconnect options are
7) I think you can bend the brake hard lines to get a little extra length
I may end up going with the OME kit that will give me a little over 2". With trimming it should fit 31" tires just fine. JKS makes sway bar disconnects that will work.

Originally Posted by peligro113
Those OME ZJ coils netted me 3.5" of lift on a stock XJ
Yup. I'm not even considering them.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:34 PM

I'm almost positive I'm going with the OME kit that gives a little over 2" of lift. I finally got the Jeep out of the garage after 4 months (bed lined the interior, installed a bad *** stereo, and replaced fuel pump). The tires are cracking bad so I need to move fast with this lift, wheels, and tires.

I need to find out if 31's on 3.75" backspaced 15x8 wheels will tuck with Bushwacker flat flares, and a ~2.5" lift. I'll keep searching for similar builds.

Thanks again for all of your help!

-Jared