Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

led third brake light any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6
Default led third brake light any suggestions?

Well I'm looking to smoke all my lights but not black them out (I don't want to get cops attention lol) and I want to do away with the plain jane third brake light. Im thinking about a smoke led light but not sure where I could get one that is made for my jeep. Any suggestions? (links would be much appreciated)
Old 12-02-2013, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

If you look on eBay the ones made for WJs are supposed to fit. I haven't tried it myself but they look like they'd work.

Just like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-04-Jeep-G...3fe659&vxp=mtr

Except it was smoked.

Last edited by DieselD; 12-02-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by DieselD
If you look on eBay the ones made for WJs are supposed to fit. I haven't tried it myself but they look like they'd work.

Just like this:

Except it was smoked.
I was wondering that exact thing. Ive seen plenty smoked led 3rd brake lights for wjs but I didn't know if it would fit.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by XJCherokee182

I was wondering that exact thing. Ive seen plenty smoked led 3rd brake lights for wjs but I didn't know if it would fit.
I keep meaning to test it out at a JY but I forget every time I'm there. They look identical but looks can be deceiving. Lol
Old 12-02-2013, 03:23 PM

Year: 1994

that link looks just like the 3rd brake light in my 94 XJ. Not sure if they switch it in the 98s. Is your back window not tinted? My back window is tinted and you can't really even tell I have a 3rd break light until its turned on. Might just want to do that instead of tinting the light, just my two cents. I hate not having tinted windows, makes me feel like I'm in a fishbowl for everyone to see what I am doing lol.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

I've been referring to what I have, a 99.
The third brake light is on the outside of the hatch. So yea you can see it.

I forget that 94-96 had third light inside behind the glass.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:40 PM

I just went and pulled mine off and compared to the pictures in the link and they are almost identical.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Year: 1994

I've been referring to what I have, a 99.
The third brake light is on the outside of the hatch. So yea you can see it.

I forget that 94-96 had third light inside behind the glass.
Oh, got ya, then ya smoke that son of gun!

Are you going to do the rattle can smoked spray or have them professionally smoked?

I was never pulled over for my smoked lenses in Cali, and cops there will pull you over for anything. One time I did get pulled over and the cop said the tinted cover I had on my license plate had to be removed but didn't say anything about my tail lights being smoked. But I didn't have them completely blacked out as you mentioned earlier, so think your on the right track with not wanting to black them out.

I used VHT Nite Shades with clear coat on top, small lenses looked great, but the larger ones you could see it was spotty, as in darker spots than others. Was hard to get an even coat over the entire lens without going to dark.
Amazon.com: VHT Nite Shades - Black Out Taillight Spray & Clear Coat Bundle: Automotive Amazon.com: VHT Nite Shades - Black Out Taillight Spray & Clear Coat Bundle: Automotive

Make sure to post some pics when you get it done, would love to see how they turn out!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:40 PM
CF Veteran

I'm not the OP. Lol.

I've had mine done for a while. Used dulicolor lens tint. Good stuff. The first time around I went too dark. I also didn't like how the little letters on the lens got in the way. I sanded them all down smooth. Then did it again. Not too dark but it got uneven in spots. I sanded the tint down and hit it with clear. Looks perfect... except I did it when it was cold and it looks bad up close.

When it gets warm out again I'll give it another go. I still haven't used even half of the can of lens tint.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Just like this:

Except it was smoked.

Checked it out at the jy today. Not even close. Hope this helps.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by CrawdadSlim
Checked it out at the jy today. Not even close. Hope this helps.
That helps a lot thanks! I was actually about to order on off of eBay.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have a stock one that I pulled from the junkyard. I was going to tint it slightly using VHT NiteShades (+ a coat or two of clear), and retrofit some LED panels or superflux LED's into it. Haven't gotten around to cracking it open, but I'll make a thread when I do get around to it.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:29 AM
CF Veteran

For tint, try the rustoleum brand. Didnt know they made it until the other day I was picking up some paint, so I grabbed a can to try. It definitly turned out better/shiny than the vht brand. And I didnt have to use any clear. I picked it up at Home Depot. Heres a pick of the turn signals I did. The stock bulbs are in there now. I might put another coat on them, but afraid they might get too dark, and the cops wont like.....lol.
Attached Thumbnails led third brake light any suggestions?-download-2.jpg   led third brake light any suggestions?-download-1.jpg   led third brake light any suggestions?-20131203_200053.jpg   led third brake light any suggestions?-20131203_200044.jpg   led third brake light any suggestions?-20131203_195930.jpg  

Old 12-07-2013, 08:04 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

i smoked my lenses with nightshades about a yr ago,i sanded and preped them and cleared them. They looked good for a while and then the third brakes clear started peeling and the brake lights started fadeing.They lightened up to where i started seeing the amber lenses through it.I would redo them but ones cracked and i plan on making some boxes with round leds in place of them.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
I have a stock one that I pulled from the junkyard. I was going to tint it slightly using VHT NiteShades (+ a coat or two of clear), and retrofit some LED panels or superflux LED's into it. Haven't gotten around to cracking it open, but I'll make a thread when I do get around to it.
Did you ever get around to opening up that jy find? I've been wanting to change my third over to LED (last incandescent light in the back) and it's also the only red lens I have left on the back. Thought about just pulling a jy lens and blacking out out and pulling the bulb. Cause the red kinda sticks out.

Quick Reply: led third brake light any suggestions?