Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Led tail light wiring issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:36 PM
xj1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Led tail light wiring issue

I bought a set of jcr guards and led tail lights. A set of red for the top and a set of orange for the bottom. The tail lights are the superbright LEDs that jcr offers. I am having big issues with getting them to work correct. I have the red ones tied into the factory taillight's. black wire for tail and red wire for brake/Light. The orange lights, I have both red and black tied into the blinker. I did install an electronic flasher unit also. The issue is when I have the park lights on, the center led light is on all lights and dim. When the blinker is on all four center LEDs blink. The correct blinker does work though too. It does have a trailer light box spliced in for trailer lights. I'm thinking that I'm getting a draw from that?? I have no clue. Just getting frustrated. I have googled, you tubed, search forums and no answers. I can't find a write up anywhere on how to wire red and orange LEDs up.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992 Cherokee Sport
Engine: Bone-Stock 242

Silly question, but are you looking at the lights dead-on or from an angle? I looked them up and they look like they might be directional LEDs so they are only bright if you look at them dead-on. Usually if the voltage is low for LED's they won't work at all, unless that changed since i learned that in high school.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 PM
xj1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

They are way crazy bright when the brakes are on or when they are blinking. It's just the center of each one lights up. I should have a takin a picture to show.