Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Fogs behind the grill?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default LED Fogs behind the grill?

Wondering if anyone has installed something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Drivi...led+fog+lights

behind the grill of their XJ? Would love to see some pics if available.

Really, if anyone has these or similar anywhere on their XJ please post pics!

I'm trying to get some more light on the ground but also want to keep it as stealth as possible. I'd thought about throwing them below the bumper in the valance (like the 97-01), but I just don't know what that would look like.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2016, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Fog lights should always be lower then the headlights.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 01

True fog lights should be low. And not white LED light. But it sounds like you just want more light down the road, not necessarily for fog.

I just finished flush mounting some in the grill. It took a lot of work to get them flush and aimed properly. I was thinking of just leaving them behind the grill for easy's sake, but it's really tight in there. I measured exactly 3" from the back of the grill to the radiator on the driver side. On the outside of the passenger side it's 5/8" closer due to a tube from the radiator sticking out. I trimmed the light to make it work. You could avoid this by mounting the lights further toward the middle. But I was set on the outside spots for looks sake.

I also took a ton of pics along the way. Hope this helps.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:28 AM

I cleaned up the sharp edges and hit the back of the light with some high heat enamel before throwing it in too.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

The link you posted are spot lights not fog lights and being only ip67 i would skip them over that.Look in to a driving light pattern and ip68 which is fully water proof.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

I'd like a decent LED driving light for more light down low also.. watching what progresses here.

Ideally I'd like an LED bar close to the size of OEM driving lights.. and installed in their location.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

I recommend everyone read this: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...fog_lamps.html

In order to be fog lights, they must have a specific pattern (yellow vs white really isn't that important--no scientific proof of yellow's superiority has ever been found, but there are some theories why it MIGHT have a slight edge), and most lights people plop onto their bumpers or in fog slots are not fog lights. The ones the OP is linking to are flood and spot lights, not fogs.

Fog lights are nearly worthless. If you want them for looks sake, fine, but if you think you're going to actually gain anything beneficial...you're really not. It's also utterly important that you only ever turn them on when appropriate--don't be one of those people who drives around with them on 24/7.

If I ever added fog lights, it would probably only be from http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/ca...es/fog-lights/, and given JW's insane prices, I'll never be adding fogs because I'm not going to pay a lot of money for something that is ultimately useless (re: fog lights don't really accomplish anything).

Last edited by mschi772; 07-10-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by mschi772
I recommend everyone read this: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...fog_lamps.html

In order to be fog lights, they must have a specific pattern (yellow vs white really isn't that important--no scientific proof of yellow's superiority has ever been found, but there are some theories why it MIGHT have a slight edge), and most lights people plop onto their bumpers or in fog slots are not fog lights. The ones the OP is linking to are flood and spot lights, not fogs.

Fog lights are nearly worthless. If you want them for looks sake, fine, but if you think you're going to actually gain anything beneficial...you're really not. It's also utterly important that you only ever turn them on when appropriate--don't be one of those people who drives around with them on 24/7.

If I ever added fog lights, it would probably only be from http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/ca...es/fog-lights/, and given JW's insane prices, I'll never be adding fogs because I'm not going to pay a lot of money for something that is ultimately useless (re: fog lights don't really accomplish anything).

I'd have to disagree with you on a few things.......and I have read that article, but I have found relying on my personal experiences instead of someone professing to know, is much more reliable.

1) I run yellow lights for fogs, because in my experience, you can see farther due to less glare. I spent many a night in northern PA on 81 heading north when the fog & snow were so bad, I actually turned OFF my headlights and drove with the yellow fog lights only because the glare from the headlights was too bad. I tried white driving lights for fogs, and they had the same glare problem, even when mounted down low.

2) I have had the same experience in FL with thick fog....turn off headlights and use yellow fog lights. On 1 vehicle I drove that had no fog lights, it was easier to see if you drove using the parking lights only.

3) Normally, you should use both the low beams & the fog lights when conditions warrant

4) If you truly think fog lights accomplish nothing, well, I just don't know what to say. They do work, and they do make it much safer to drive when properly used & mounted.

White lights are driving lights, fog lights are yellow or amber.......

Last edited by TRCM; 07-10-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

Thanks for the pics CR-Snow... looks great, nice clean work!

If I were to mount them behind the grill I would probably put them in the next slots toward the middle, however it is looking like it would be pretty custom.
Was all that metal you cut away just heatsink? If so, I could see grinding away a lot more of that to make them thinner... I mean they are only $18...

So I guess I am really just looking more for some driving lights, since my low-beams leave some to be desired.

And the link was just an example, I would definitely go for some more focused beam lights for this application (maybe some floods mounted on the roof) (eventually).

Haven't decided on white vs yellow, although I have seen clip-on covers for these lights to make them yellow, maybe try it out and see.

I looked at the front under the bumper and there's really no obvious place to mount them poking out of the air dam, although it probably wouldn't be hard to make a bracket. I'll do some more digging.

Thanks for the replies, all!
Old 07-11-2016, 01:23 AM
CF Veteran

You could upgrade your headlights to better h4 housings and use a headlight harness.Both will give you more useable light and if you look good on amazon you can do it for 100 bucks.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
You could upgrade your headlights to better h4 housings and use a headlight harness.Both will give you more useable light and if you look good on amazon you can do it for 100 bucks.
I did that on mine, and it made a HUGE difference.

I also added some driving lights where the stock fog lights went on my 96 for when I am out in the country or woods, as they really light up the sides of the road to help see critters that want to commit suicide in time to stop.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:02 PM

That article is just one of many, and it is based in science, not anecdotal experience. Anecdotal experience is unreliable especially when matters of perception are directly involved. The human brain is tremendously unreliable, especially when it comes to visual perception.

From https://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitst...pdf?sequence=1
The work reviewed above suggests that fog lamps, used either as substitutes for low
beams or as supplements to low beams, do not provide better visibility for objects on the road, at
least not at distances that would allow adequate preview time for avoiding collisions at moderate
or high speeds....From existing studies, there is very little evidence that current front fog lamps offer
visual benefits relative to low beams that are likely to result in improved safety. Indeed, some
studies of the visibility provided in fog by various types of front lamps suggest that low beams,
or even high beams in some cases, perform better than fog lamps except at very short ranges
(perhaps as short as 10 m).
From Folks, W. and Kreysar, D., "Front Fog Lamp Performance," SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0434, 2000

Rather than type my own response to the belief that yellow matters, I'll simply quote a poster from http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=152015 who has it right:
There are several scientific studies out there that say it is an old wives' tale that yellow fog lights give you greater visibility over white or blue ones. Many of the studies are from coastal and mountainous regions of North America and Europe where fog is much more prevalent. The premise of the wives' tale, that yellow light waves are long enough to pass through water particles without reflecting back to the light source, is based on a misinterpretation of Lord Rayleigh's principle of light scattering (search for "Rayleigh scattering" or "why is the sky blue").

As it turns out in all the published studies, the water particles in fog and road mist are entirely too large to not reflect light waves back toward fog lights, be they yellow, white, blue or even green. The studies show any fog light that is properly mounted and aimed is effective, as the reflective angle of larger water droplets tends to be directed back toward the source of light than scattered away. The idea being that an effective fog lamp has to be a low mounted, wide dispersion light that gets as far under fog and mist as possible, so as not to be directed back toward the driver's eyes. This is why driving in fog with your high beams on is a bad idea - i.e., the reflective angle of your headlights/high beams is too close to the same elevation as your eyes to not be reflected back to you, thus blinding you with reflective glare.

So, why do yellow fog lamps seem to work better? It's because of the way the human eye interacts with different colors of light. Blue and violet are very difficult for the human optical system to process correctly.
Additionally, you (directed at no one in particular) may be interested in learning more about various light wavelengths and their effects on human night vision. For example, blue and violet wavelengths are very detrimental to our nightvision/recovery due to a mess of physical and biological mechanisms not least of which is an interesting compound in our eyes called rhodopsin.

Last edited by mschi772; 07-11-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:46 PM

Nice. Gotta love some nerdy science talk. I dig it. These amber lights I have really aren't super bright. When I get a chance to test them out in some different scenarios, I may end up replacing the cover with a clear one. Maybe not who knows. I just really like how well they go with the red and amber color scheme of my jeep.

To the OP, a friend of mine with a WJ bought a 12 or 14" light bar, mounted it behind the grill in the middle. Obviously a couple of the LEDs are covered up but his lights are bright at **** on the trail. Something to consider. Only gotta make one bracket too.

Btw, you should definitely do an H4 conversion and a relay harness. By far the best mod for $100 on these jeeps. If you need a relay/fuse box or a harness, I make custom water proof units that I sell on here. Check the accessories section or send me a pm.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:58 PM

Putting aside my sciencey stuff and my personal tastes, if FOG lights are what the OP wants to do with an 84-96 front end, I'd try to mount them to the bottom of the bumper or, size permitting, see about mounting them directly to the back of the air dam if that's still present.

If flood or spot lights are actually want the OP wants, I'd go top of bumper or on roof.

For any kind of light, I've personally even considered mounting them INSIDE the stock bumper (size permitting of course) since the stock bumper is just hollow anyway.

If just plain better light is what the OP wants, nothing beats a relay harness and a quality set of aftermarket H4 housings with quality bulbs.

P.S. I've never seen anything to indicate that yellow lights are detrimental in any way. The most negative thing is that it's obviously a filter that you're using which is reducing your light's effective output by filtering-out the blues. I agree with you that they look great on the Jeep, and if they're bright enough for you, leave them yellow/amber.

Last edited by mschi772; 07-11-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mschi772
Rather than type my own response to the belief that yellow matters, I'll simply quote a poster from http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=152015 who has it right:
There are several scientific studies out there that say it is an old wives' tale that yellow fog lights give you greater visibility over white or blue ones. Many of the studies are from coastal and mountainous regions of North America and Europe where fog is much more prevalent. The premise of the wives' tale, that yellow light waves are long enough to pass through water particles without reflecting back to the light source, is based on a misinterpretation of Lord Rayleigh's principle of light scattering (search for "Rayleigh scattering" or "why is the sky blue").

As it turns out in all the published studies, the water particles in fog and road mist are entirely too large to not reflect light waves back toward fog lights, be they yellow, white, blue or even green. The studies show any fog light that is properly mounted and aimed is effective, as the reflective angle of larger water droplets tends to be directed back toward the source of light than scattered away. The idea being that an effective fog lamp has to be a low mounted, wide dispersion light that gets as far under fog and mist as possible, so as not to be directed back toward the driver's eyes. This is why driving in fog with your high beams on is a bad idea - i.e., the reflective angle of your headlights/high beams is too close to the same elevation as your eyes to not be reflected back to you, thus blinding you with reflective glare.

So, why do yellow fog lamps seem to work better? It's because of the way the human eye interacts with different colors of light. Blue and violet are very difficult for the human optical system to process correctly.
So your quote says yellow does seem to work better......sounds just like what I said above......from my personal experience.

Anyway, it's a moot point, the OP should use whatever he wants......based on his experience.

Last edited by TRCM; 07-11-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: LED Fogs behind the grill?