Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky Axle Seals?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Leaky Axle Seals?

Hi guys, I have a 200 Cherokee sport, and last week I changed the differential cover to a Solid brand, and I also refilled the fluid. I knew the new cover would hold more, and had a higher fill point so I went ahead and filled it up to where I could stick my finger in the fill hole, and touch fluid. Yesterday I noticed a puddle of fluid around my driver side front tire. It was flug all over the inside of the tire, and the wheel well. I think I may have blown out the axel seals, however when I went to go check the fluid in the differential, it was at a normal level. The fluid was clearish, so I do not think I have an oil leak, so I am down to either differential fluid, or power steering fluid. The only reason I think it could also be power steering fluid is because I installed a aftermarket front bumper the other day, and I had to remove one of the power steering pump bolts for the new tie in bracket and bolt. What do you guys think? Also, i was not sure if this should belong in the stock or modified talk, so if I should post this elsewhere let me know.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:34 AM

Old 07-26-2017, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96
Model: Cherokee

Power steering reservoir low? Should be able to tell which fluid it is by the smell.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:24 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 l6

Looks like axle seals are bad. I had a similar issue with mine. I installed new seals and also installed aftermarket outer axle seals that replace those plastic "mud guards" on your axle... That would be my recommendation. But also you will want to make sure that it is gear oil... Smell is the best way to tell as stated above..
Old 07-26-2017, 10:17 AM

I checked the power steering fluid, and it seems to be at a good level, so I will fill it up and monitor it. What confuses me is it's only the driver side. I smelled it, and it had the consistency and look of fresh gear oil, but I couldn't smell it too well, which makes me wonder if it is power steering fluid. I drove it to work this morning, and I have another spot by the drivers side front tire, about the size of the palm of my hand. Would it be beneficial to do the passenger side also?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

The drivers side is the short axle side so that may have something to do with it.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:08 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 l6

My issue was on the passenger side as well... I recommend doing both inner seals and both aftermarket outer seals... I have not had a issue sense.