Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Bumper Suggestions?

I bought my first XJ Classic for $1600 and looking for cheap solutions to front and rear bumpers. It is a 98 and has no bumpers now. I would like to put something that can take a winch on the front and hitch on the rear. Looking for inexpensive as opposed to cheap. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 07-15-2017, 04:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/ http://aresfabrication.com/
Old 07-15-2017, 04:37 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Bubble wrap and duct tape.

J/K, LOL

The options above are golden, I can vouch for DBO as far as quality, fit, and customer service goes...I don't run their bumpers, but their stiffeners are great, and Max is a great guy. I personally know of several people here that will vouch for them as well.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Anything cheaper i would not trust to use.I never used either company but never heard anything bad about them.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

https://www.jcroffroad.com/category/XJ.html If I don't do a one-off build on mine I plan to buy one of these
Old 07-16-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

https://www.affordableoffroad.com/

I got there elite pre runner winch bumper. Good bumper itd heavy duty and strong. And has a old-school look and super high clearance compared to most bumpers I have seen. rammed it against rocks, used up to rub up trees to turn around. Gone threw bushes with it. Acidently ran in to the back of my buddys truck one time lol. I love mine.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I built the DBO Mojave front and rear DIY kits non winch. Bought them last black Friday special to get them cheap. Cheap is relative. The bumpers were ~$500 combined both with the receiver option. My welder, and Argon/CO2 tank were North of $1K. Had to modify the garage wiring to handle 220V since the duty cycle on 110V netted me about 1" of weld bead before tripping the circuit breaker. Also had to build a welder extension cord. More ching ching! Welders first big but not last project was the bumpers.

Then add in all the time to weld the bumpers together as precise as possible. Next grinding. Lots of grinding unless you don't mind the raw welded seams look. Then priming and painting. It all adds up. I didn't mind the cost because it's what I wanted to do. I put the receiver in the front for a winch plate and did the same to the rear. Called DBO and asked about the tow rating on the rear bumper and they said it wasn't rated due to no torsional structure such as a tube or angle iron to tie the receiver to the mounts. DBO said a few guys have done it themselves. My rear warped when I burnt in the receiver tube and there wasn't much room to get a hitch pin in and out even without the added support. I decided to cut the receiver out and reinstall my old Hidden Hitch. I tow a lot and wanted a reliable structure for towing.

Bumpers turned out great and get lots of compliments but DIY doesn't mean cheap. The cost savings is null as any savings are transferred into labor, tools, and supplies. I enjoyed the journey so it was worth it to me.

Now the cheap option is used parts. I sold my stock bumpers and end caps for $30 per end. They were in fair condition with no dents. A local Craigslist ad has a Hidden Hitch for $40 bucks. I'm sure a used winch bumper won't be too expensive.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Build em from scrap. I built mine from scrap 3/16 plate, some square tube and a little bit of 3/4" plate for the shackle tabs. It cost me more in consumables than in materials. The man hours added up though. Fortunately my time is worthless.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.5L Stroker

Dirtbound off-road DIY gets my vote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

I bought my front winch bumper a used Rustys Off Road one on craigslist, it needed a fresh paint job but the cost was only $35 and the fellow gave my several parts for an XJ for free. The bad part was he had sold a rear tire carrier bumper for $125 2 weeks before.

I was looking for about 2 weeks till found one that was cheaper than the others listed.