Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking tranny fluid after lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Leaking tranny fluid after lift

Hey I have a 98 jeep cherokee 2x4 auto tranny and I lifted it about 2 years ago. After I lifted it I noticed that it was leaking alot of transmission fluid out of the rear seal where the slip yoke goes into the transmission. I assumed that it was that seal so I took it out and replaced it(easier said that done,It was hell finding that seal). After that it continued it steady leak whenever I would drive. One of my buddys asked me how far in the yoke was going into the tranny and it wasnt very far at all. Later I had a new longer driveshaft made and it fixed the problem. Just recently it started doing it again but this time I cant seem to figure out why. The seal in the back looks good and the slip yoke is in the tranny pretty far. I noticed that the yoke feels rougher at the end of it like it was grinding or something if this is reverential. Any answers would help than you.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:39 PM

Year: 93'
Engine: I6

try sanding or wire brushing the yoke. smooth it out
Old 08-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

I have this same problem with my lifted 2wd. I have not done a longer driveshaft tho. I just replaced my seal last week. it has slowed the leak but it still is leaking. My only thought is with the angle of the drive shaft it puts more strain on the lower part of the seal and over time it develops a small gap or loosens. I know when I pulled my seal out it was not round anymore, the bottom was slightly flatter where the driveshaft pushes down.

How much was it for a longer driveshaft? I want to do another inch lift on mine but am afraid the driveshaft will have issues at 5.5"
Old 08-05-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Screwd up 6
I have this same problem with my lifted 2wd. I have not done a longer driveshaft tho. I just replaced my seal last week. it has slowed the leak but it still is leaking. My only thought is with the angle of the drive shaft it puts more strain on the lower part of the seal and over time it develops a small gap or loosens. I know when I pulled my seal out it was not round anymore, the bottom was slightly flatter where the driveshaft pushes down.

How much was it for a longer driveshaft? I want to do another inch lift on mine but am afraid the driveshaft will have issues at 5.5"
I dont exactly remember what I payed for the driveshaft I wanna say 200 something with new u joints and being balanced. I didnt take out the seal but it still looked round thats why Im puzzled.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Mine "looked" round but the inner spring that holds it snug was weak. Got mine at a local auto parts for $8. I say spend 20 mins and start there and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:09 PM

Mine "looked" round but the inner spring that holds it snug was weak. Got mine at a local auto parts for $8. I say spend 20 mins and start there and see if that fixes the problem.
Yea its worth a try. Last time I bought it none of my local autoparts stores had it or could even get it. I went to a jeep dealer and they didnt even have it they actually sent me to their warehouse to get the part and im pretty sure they close at 5 so ide have to wait for the morning.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Seasoned Member

call your local autozone or advanced auto and see. its worth a shot. Like i said mine looked fine from the front, but if you pulled it out and looked from the back you could see the wear on it. Keep us updated on this one
Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 PM

call your local autozone or advanced auto and see. its worth a shot. Like i said mine looked fine from the front, but if you pulled it out and looked from the back you could see the wear on it. Keep us updated on this one
Ill give it a shot if not ill have to wait till the morning. Thanks for the help ill keep you posted on how it turns out.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 AM

I went to all my local autoparts stores and 3 different jeep dealers before I got it but I got the seal and its in. The puddle of tranny fluid on my driveway turned into just a drop. Curious why its still leaking at all though.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:14 PM

Update: Started leaking alot again so i decided to pull out the drive shaft and bring it to a power train shop and he confirmed that my slip yoke was trashed. He told me that behind the seal I replaced should be a bushing and the reason why my yoke was trashed is because the bushing is bad. I went to my local jeep dealer and they couldnt pull up the part they couldnt find it on their diagrams or anything does anyone have any experience on this? Is the seal I replaced all that holds it still or what?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:22 PM

Engine: i6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by Bluestar
Update: Started leaking alot again so i decided to pull out the drive shaft and bring it to a power train shop and he confirmed that my slip yoke was trashed. He told me that behind the seal I replaced should be a bushing and the reason why my yoke was trashed is because the bushing is bad. I went to my local jeep dealer and they couldnt pull up the part they couldnt find it on their diagrams or anything does anyone have any experience on this? Is the seal I replaced all that holds it still or what?
I've had the 1 or 2 drip problem since I bought my XJ 3 years ago, and only topped off the trans fluid twice since I purchased it. I've read up on it some and I've heard that the bushing gets mishaped from the weight on it, so it becomes lopsided and the fluid seeps out. Other than that, I couldn't really tell you. I've never bothered to fix mine, and I figure if I need to, it's a $5 bill for the seal and that's it (hopefully).
Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Bluestar
Bushing may not be available seperate, you may have to buy a new output shaft housing.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Bushing may not be available seperate, you may have to buy a new output shaft housing.
Yea I know thats what they guy at the dealer told me. He said it was 530$ lol. I could get a 4x4 tranny and t case for less than that and ide rather do that that buy that output shaft housing.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Here is the bushing for $4.00, you owe me a six pack :')

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00094635a.htm
Old 08-13-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Here is the bushing for $4.00, you owe me a six pack :')

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-00094635a.htm
Oh damn couldnt find it anywhere thanks bro. I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Leaking tranny fluid after lift