Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which leaf and what about sag?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Which leaf and what about sag?

I am going to be doing a cheap 2" lift fairly soon (I hope). I will be using 2" coil spacers in front and add a leaf in back.

First what model leaf should I get for 2" lift, s10, ford ranger, another XJ? I heard s10's worked good but what year range?

Second, how well does AAl work? Will it hold up well? I will not be hauling heavy equipment in this XJ (unless necessary) or does that even matter? Thank you.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:59 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker
I am going to be doing a cheap 2" lift fairly soon (I hope). I will be using 2" coil spacers in front and add a leaf in back.

First what model leaf should I get for 2" lift, s10, ford ranger, another XJ? I heard s10's worked good but what year range?

Second, how well does AAl work? Will it hold up well? I will not be hauling heavy equipment in this XJ (unless necessary) or does that even matter? Thank you.
If you're going to be hauling or towing, do NOT do an AAL...Bite the bullet and get full spring packs. An AAL is just throwing a band-aid on already tired springs, and you'll be replacing the spring packs anyways. Why put the time, money and effort into it, when you can just do it once, and be done?
Old 10-16-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

AAL refers to an aftermarket single, high spring rate/arched leaf that forces the factory leaf pack into a new arch and ride height. The problem with this approach is that this method generally doesn't last long, puts extra stress on the factory pack and will often times cause distortion to the pack or certain leafs. A bastard pack os what you would want to do. This approach takes leafs from two packs and combining them to achieve new ride height. Common combinations are S10/XJ, Dakota/XJ and XJ/XJ. For the height you are looking for I would think XJ/XJ would get you what you want.

Ive been running XJ/S10 bastard pack for three years with no complaints. The down side to this approach is that you may have to redo your leaf combinations multiple times before you settle on the right combination.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:19 AM

I have built bastard packs as well. If you choose to go this route, read up. Again, with all the time and effort to do it right, I still just recommend buying new leaf packs suited to your application. Bastard packs did get me through, but it was a lot of time and effort to get what I wanted. Make sure you use brand new center pins and u-bolts. Also, make sure you know how to take the springs apart/put them together...
Old 10-16-2015, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Don't know how much you want to spend but maybe you can use some these parts if not all.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/up...option-215003/
Old 10-16-2015, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

I'll never cheap out on lifts again. What a waste of money and time since our has to be redone when that cheap stuff wears out. Buy a real lift, measure for proper shock size and be done.

If you truly want to do a bastard pack. Buy a fresh set of stock leafs. And then work with it. Using worn out suspension parts is a disaster in the works. Same with coils
Old 10-16-2015, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
I'll never cheap out on lifts again. What a waste of money and time since our has to be redone when that cheap stuff wears out. Buy a real lift, measure for proper shock size and be done.

If you truly want to do a bastard pack. Buy a fresh set of stock leafs. And then work with it. Using worn out suspension parts is a disaster in the works. Same with coils
Kinda my point. I've done it all. Buy new springs and be done.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by roninofako
Kinda my point. I've done it all. Buy new springs and be done.
Who preaching to the choir. With the money I wasted on puck and schackles, AAL, several sets of shocks. All because I didn't do enough research, was in a rush, and didn't listen to the wise expertise on this forum. But eh, people have money to burn I guess
Old 10-16-2015, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Do it right the first time or you will do it over again and over again in some cases when in fact you can buy a quality entry level 3" lift with new leafs, coils, shocks and all hardware for $438 from Rustys these are all made in NA. As with any lift you will need an adj. track bar. This way will give a much better ride on and off road over a bastard setup.

That large of a spacer isn't a good idea as is an AAL they will go away quickly with old leafs most of the time same for big shackles.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:59 PM

So what I'm taking from all this is to do my 2" lift the correct (expensive) way to start if possible. Sadly it's not.

So.....

Second thing I take is DO NOT do add a leaf but instead do my original idea, s10 plus my XJ leafs. My original 1989 XJ leafs are sagging any because the jeep only has 78,000 miles on it and was took great care of.

So what year model s10 leafs should I get? I also found this video can someone please watch it and tell me if this will be ok? I would do the 2" combo.

Part 1

Part 2

PS I will not be doing heavy duty hauling. Maybe occasional fire wood.

Also thank you everyone for the input. And I do wish I had the money to drop on an expensive 2" lift so I'm not ignoring the advice to do the recommended lifts. I just want to do it as safe and cheap as I can.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chick-N-Picker
So what I'm taking from all this is to do my 2" lift the correct (expensive) way to start if possible. Sadly it's not.

So.....

Second thing I take is DO NOT do add a leaf but instead do my original idea, s10 plus my XJ leafs. My original 1989 XJ leafs are sagging any because the jeep only has 78,000 miles on it and was took great care of.

So what year model s10 leafs should I get? I also found this video can someone please watch it and tell me if this will be ok? I would do the 2" combo.

Part 1
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3c8swLMirAM

Part 2
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7KUa-6rdSQs

PS I will not be doing heavy duty hauling. Maybe occasional fire wood.

Also thank you everyone for the input. And I do wish I had the money to drop on an expensive 2" lift so I'm not ignoring the advice to do the recommended lifts. I just want to do it as safe and cheap as I can.
Better, faster, cheaper...

Pick 2....you'll never get all 3.

A set of 2" leaf springs aren't that pricey. I suggest you read up more on lifting your vehicle, and learn ALL the options available to you. Price out kits, find what kits include what parts, then piece together one on your own, and compare your pricing to what is in the kits...to do this the RIGHT way, it's gonna take some work on your part. You're on the right track. BTW, nothing wrong with doing a BP, I have done it, and it worked well for me at the time, but it did take several attempts to get it right. Mine was done using parts I found either in the JY or CL, minus the new hardware, of course...but, for the money I spent doing it, the time and effort involved to do it right, to me it was a wash...should have just gotten new packs to begin with. YMMV.

Another thing to consider, when you start modding your rig, expect to be changing 2 or 4 things when doing so, when you change things, you need to change others to get back to a more "stock-like" ride...and not every jeep is the same, just because X worked for so-and-so, doesn't mean it will work for you...just a word of caution is all...now go hack up some parts and report back, LOL
Old 10-16-2015, 02:41 PM

^ thank you for the advice. I reckon I'll try the bastard pack from the above videos. It looks fairly simple and cheap. I'll post back when I do it. It may be a few weeks. Until then I'll just continue reading.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

You will find that cheap is way to expensive as most of us have, much more than to do it right the first time.

Good Luck with your build.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

I used to run a Bastard pack in my XJ. At the ~4.5" height I had, without weight in the back it rode like a truck. Did flex decent though. With weight in the back it rode almost as it was stock. I got a good deal on a Tomken coil/leaf setup that I swapped over to.
Yes, new full leafs packs would be better. But the small height you want. A bastard pack should work decent.
A 2nd set of XJ leafs would work for a bastard pack as well. That may give you about what you need. Not all things created equal, there is no certain formula. I also, recommend using an allen head bolt for when you install the pack together. You may need to drill out your leaf perch hole to accept said bolt head.