Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

leaf spring relocation kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default leaf spring relocation kit

I havr a 98 xj and when I bought it it came with a 2in budget boost. I want to put a 4.5in lift kit from rough country. In the back of the jeep it has rough countrys leaf spring relocation kit. I want to know if i can leave those brackets on or do i have to buy others.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ets63
I havr a 98 xj and when I bought it it came with a 2in budget boost. I want to put a 4.5in lift kit from rough country. In the back of the jeep it has rough countrys leaf spring relocation kit. I want to know if i can leave those brackets on or do i have to buy others.
I have the HD Engineering Bolt On Shack Relocation, it adds about .75 to 1" of lift.

Plus you have lift shackles in back (but adjustable), honestly they look kind of cheap to me, I went with Rusty's 3/4" lift shackles. Does your lift kit include shackles?, I felt that the stock shackled would not work well with the shackle relocation brackets.

You can leave your shackle relocation kit alone (AND I WOULD - better flex better ride), but you will probably end up .75 to 1" higher in back, you can either get 3.5" lift springs for the back, or get 1" coil boost for the front.

On my jeep I scored some ACOS adjustable coil spacers, that go from 1" to 3.5" of lift so I can set my stance. I have a Rusty's 4.5" lift, with Rusty's 3/4" lift shackles and the HD Shackle Relocators, it added about 1.5" to my total lift, which I made up for upfront with the adjustable coil spacers. I will be 6" running 35's and bump stopping from there.

Part of my issues was my 4.5" Rusty Control Arms started pulling my front tires back towards the doors going up another 1.5", so I decided to go with B. Lee 3 Link Long Arms (I wanted them anyways - now I had an excuse), another choice would be Control Arm Drop Brackets.

If you can customize your kit and trying to stay at 4.5" and save money, I probably would go with 3.5" rear springs, and adjust height as needed with the adjustable shackles you have after assembled, once you figure out how much lift you need, order a set of better shackles.

Lots to think about.... right... LOL

Last edited by bryweb; 10-10-2015 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:26 PM

Rough Country Site regarding their Shackle Relocators

* Adds approximately 1in - 1.5in of lift.
* Longer rear shocks are recommended.
* A taller coil or coil spacers in the front are recommended to level the vehicle.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-xj-...cnLhoCIv_w_wcB
Old 10-10-2015, 07:28 PM

Dam this **** is complicated. Thx for replying
Old 10-10-2015, 07:55 PM

Dam this **** is complicated. Thx for replying
You are looking at all Rough Country Stuff, just call them and ask them to sell you a lift kit that will work with their Shackle Relocators.

That would be easiest.... LOL
Old 10-10-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the picture your spring looks to be sagging, I would get new springs if they are.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by omnious
in the picture your spring looks to be sagging, I would get new springs if they are.
Definitely agree, make sure you get completely new springs and not a kit with an add-on spring.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:43 AM

Easiest thing for you to do is install everything and just adjust those brackets in the back, they're fully adjustable.
I'm running the six and a half inch lift plus those brackets. You have anymore questions let me know.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by JD Cravin
Easiest thing for you to do is install everything and just adjust those brackets in the back, they're fully adjustable.
I'm running the six and a half inch lift plus those brackets. You have anymore questions let me know.
Thanks that is what i was thinking about but i wasnt sure