Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaf Spring Slider Box??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Leaf Spring Slider Box??

Most of the info I could find was fairly old. I have a 98 XJ w/OME coils and Rancho 2" lift leaf springs. It is not a DD. I only use it to go hunting etc. I'm not looking to go any higher. With all that being said, my shackle angle is really close to 90* and it rides pretty stiff. I've looked into shackle relocation boxes, but I don't want any more lift. I'm aware that you can get no lift relocation as well, but they sound like a lot more work. Any thoughts on the slider boxes? Pros? Cons? I don't do a lot of hardcore off-roading, just looking for a smoother ride. My other fear with the relocation boxes is having to get a longer shackle so it doesn't hit the box when flexing.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

The slider boxes are gonna be the same or likely more work than the no lift shackle angle kit.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by TRCM
The slider boxes are gonna be the same or likely more work than the no lift shackle angle kit.
Could you explain more please? I know you have to drill holes through the floorboard to mount the relocation brackets, which involves lifting carpet, maybe having to take off side panels to remove carpet etc. I was only aware that you might have to trim stock bumper for the slider boxes. But again, I haven't been able to find much info.
Thanks.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

I don't think you will gain anything with sliders. The reason shackle relocation works is that changing the angle of the shackle forces the main and second leaf to bend unnaturally, causing only a small part of the spring to support the weight. OME is supposed to have a good ride. What kind of shocks are you using?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I ran these: https://liquidironindustries.com/-86...-Brackets.html

Only saw about an inch of lift when i got my shackles to the proper angle, but that goes away as soon as i put 200 lbs of camping gear in the back.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jumpalot
Could you explain more please? I know you have to drill holes through the floorboard to mount the relocation brackets, which involves lifting carpet, maybe having to take off side panels to remove carpet etc. I was only aware that you might have to trim stock bumper for the slider boxes. But again, I haven't been able to find much info.
Thanks.
https://liquidironindustries.com/Liq...r-Box-Kit.html

These universal ones require being welded in, and from the pics, you'd have to make brackets to do that first..........................

https://liquidironindustries.com/XJ-...f-Sliders.html

If you get Cherokee specific ones, you bolt them in, but you have to remove your hitch & gas tank skidplate to install them, and they are a lot more $$$$

Last edited by TRCM; 10-24-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about using boomerang shackles? Would that help the shackle angle?
http://jksmfg.com/i-8951242-cherokee...r-shackle.html
Old 10-24-2017, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ
I don't think you will gain anything with sliders. The reason shackle relocation works is that changing the angle of the shackle forces the main and second leaf to bend unnaturally, causing only a small part of the spring to support the weight. OME is supposed to have a good ride. What kind of shocks are you using?
The front OME springs are fine. It's the rear that's too stiff. Zone Shocks.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
https://liquidironindustries.com/Liq...r-Box-Kit.html

These universal ones require being welded in, and from the pics, you'd have to make brackets to do that first..........................

https://liquidironindustries.com/XJ-...f-Sliders.html

If you get Cherokee specific ones, you bolt them in, but you have to remove your hitch & gas tank skidplate to install them, and they are a lot more $$$$

I would get the XJ specific ones. Not sure the cost would be more by the time I buy the relocation brackets and longer shackles. Most of what I read says the stock shackles hit on the brackets. And with that thought in mind, I'm afraid that I might end up going higher in the rear with the longer shackles.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kymasabe
From what I've read, I don't think the boomerang shackles help with the angle.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

I would get the XJ specific ones. Not sure the cost would be more by the time I buy the relocation brackets and longer shackles. Most of what I read says the stock shackles hit on the brackets. And with that thought in mind, I'm afraid that I might end up going higher in the rear with the longer shackles.
Longer shackles will still hit...you'd need boomerang shackles to avoid hitting the frame.

What I meant, was the XJ specific ones are more $$ than the universal ones.

In the long run, the cost may about about the same, and I think the work needed would be too.

Last edited by TRCM; 10-27-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Kymasabe
No, the shackle angle is from bolt to bolt...no matter the shape of the shackle.

All the shape does it maybe let the shackle not hit the frame @ the bumper
Old 10-25-2017, 12:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

The front OME springs are fine. It's the rear that's too stiff. Zone Shocks.
Sorry, I thought those were OME too. It is typical for aftermarket lift springs to be stiff. A higher spring rate makes it easier to lift since some of that is due to less compression of the spring. You can remedy that if you want by going to a bastard pack with Isuzu rear springs if you are interested
Old 10-26-2017, 09:50 PM

Thanks for all the help and thoughts on installation etc. What are everyone's thoughts on performance? Ride? Flex? Etc.?
Old 11-24-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It’s like crickets in here

I’m looking at the same thing, most don’t use them I ***/u/me. I couldn’t even get real answers from the people that have used them. Here is the standard response. It’s so much better than before, but you may not like them. Love cloaked answers. Like you I would hate to spend the money for no real difference. There’s a thread over on pirate, which is old, and those that have them like them. As in here those that don’t have sliders have opinions but what good are they? Having never run them my opinion is as good as there’s.

Most report better ride, more control at speed, and better articulation. There are a couple videos on YouTube.

Last edited by johnwesley; 11-24-2017 at 09:17 AM.