Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LCOG Armor...Any products that aren't worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O
Default LCOG Armor...Any products that aren't worth it?

Finally the time has come and the pay check as large and steady. I've been building my modest LCOG setup for a few years now. I've recently retired my ole girl from a daily driver so I'm going all out. Topic of discussion...armor. I've done fenders, bumpers, diff guards, and crossmember. I have the metal on the way for 2x6 tube rockers/mini boat sides. For sake of argument lets take any sort of cage out of the equation (I have plans). Here are the common products/designs I want to hear and learn about:
1.Engine/tranny skid, Are the worth it? Does it makes repairs too difficult?
2.Control arm mount skids, they don't seem too popular. Just a waste of money?
3.Fuel tank skid. I've gotten by without one and no issues. Is it a good "just in case" mod?
4.Anybody running a full belly skid? I would love to design and fab one but I hesitate with the added weight and reduced ability to access the under carriage.

FYI: Trail riding is my thing, but rocks make me as giddy as a school girl. No more mud for me. I spend most of my trail time at Rausch Creek. I'm running a 3" short arm lift on 33's. I'm here to prove you don't need massive lift or tires to hang with the big dogs. My motto, Keep it low, Keep it slow, and expect damage.

I know its asking a lot at once but throw in your two cents and pics certainly welcome.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

I was really hoping to see some sweet low cog build plans here. the term LCOG gets tossed around too much. you just have a small lift kit.

if you want to hang in the rocks with the big boys (I mean the real big boys) it's lockers, 3 link, very high clearance armor, flat belly, hi clearance steering, frame plates, and you'll probably need to ditch that D35

if you're moving toward fabrication, the secret is to raise everything up. control arm mounts, shock tabs, gas tank, tcase, bumpers, rockers, everything. flat, plated, and raised up. lift height plays a very small part in your rigs capabilities until you start nearing the 6.5" heights which are gonna start to feel tippy. you're just going to have to start going out and breaking stuff to figure out what you really need.

here are the things I will never go rock crawling without again:
rock sliders
diff covers
middle frame plates
tcase protection recommended
gas tank skid

anything else is optional until it breaks or dents or budget provides

Last edited by Atmos; 08-16-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

LCA skids are worth the money cheap but save an adj. lca from damage stay away from the bolt on ones, don't ask about either I paid for both. A transfer case and fuel tank skids are a minimum along with rocker sliders IMHO I use 2x6x3/16" ones.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L
Default LCOG Armor...Any products that aren't worth it?

Originally Posted by SpacedOutXj
3.Fuel tank skid. I've gotten by without one and no issues. Is it a good "just in case" mod.
Yes, just yes lol I'm at 2" and 31" and I'm skidded front to back and the gas tank got used recently lol
Ill post a pic of it in a bit.
Also get frame stiffeners!!!! Get the thicker a tough like ruffstuff frame stiffeners, trust me they will get used.

Last edited by Demonoid369; 08-16-2014 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

This video shows where my uniframe just scrapes against a ledge going over, if I didn't have my frame stiffeners, it would have sucked.

Here's what happens when ya accidentally land on your gas skid and are high centered on it lol

Old 08-16-2014, 05:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ho 99 intake ps pump 1" tb spacer 62mm bored tb eletric fans and more

things I recomend
suspenion make sure you arent runing stock uppers run lca skids
also check shock travel and brake line length.

vitals make sure that the gas tank is moved up and out of the way or armored. same with tcase. frame stiffners with rock sliders run a belly pan.

axel high steer trusses diff covers and pinnion guards relocate shocks higher on the rear axle.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If your thinking about going long arm look at http://www.tntcustoms.com/Jeep_Chero...n_Upgrade.aspx