Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got a 3 inch Pro Comp rear leafs ( need sum help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default just got a 3 inch Pro Comp rear leafs ( need sum help)

bought my 2dr jeep with a 3 inch front lift ( rancho 9000 shcks, Pro Comp Boxed type LCAs, Rancho springs, adj drag bar) i measured the front for lift height and it measured 9 1/2 inches from tube to frame

now the weird part.. in the rear it looks like it has a stock leaf srping with a 2 inch block in between the u bolt and stock shackles.. i also measured the back and its just a tad over 9 inched from tube to frame

today i went to a local 4X store and they recommended me a Pro Comp 3 inch complete leafs to make my ride better ( currently very stiff in back) http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QE3753111.html

after reading up on these springs i see that they raise the XJ to more like 4 inches which i really dont want/need....i really dont wanna do a SYE, will i be ok with these or should i return them and get something else?

i dont have any pics of it but here is a pic from a CL add i bought it from for reference http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3454507896.html

please advice.. i will be doing the install tomorrow
Old 01-26-2013, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89' soon to be
Engine: 4.0 HO 167k miles

Nice, that's clean! Where did you read about the 4" of actual lift. Lot of guys say the leaf will settle a bit with time, and weight added, like custom bumpers, roof rack, gear in the trunk.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Juan4you
Nice, that's clean! Where did you read about the 4" of actual lift. Lot of guys say the leaf will settle a bit with time, and weight added, like custom bumpers, roof rack, gear in the trunk.
googled and most guys say 53111 will end up at around 4" or so.. i dont mind the extra inch just dont want any vibrations... yes i have read that it will settle but i have a 2 door and with no spare tire in the trunk so its pretty light in the azz area.. and not planning on any winch bumpers anytime soon.. unless i get a divorse haha
Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

you can always put sand bags in the back. in winter over here that's what I do, just not for the same reason.

At 3" SYE is not required and some at 4.5" won't need one either. It really depends on your jeep and the only way to know is if you get it installed..
Old 01-26-2013, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89' soon to be
Engine: 4.0 HO 167k miles

Originally Posted by MUKAK
googled and most guys say 53111 will end up at around 4" or so.. i dont mind the extra inch just dont want any vibrations... yes i have read that it will settle but i have a 2 door and with no spare tire in the trunk so its pretty light in the azz area.. and not planning on any winch bumpers anytime soon.. unless i get a divorse haha
Haha!
Old 01-26-2013, 12:37 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Cane
you can always put sand bags in the back. in winter over here that's what I do, just not for the same reason.

At 3" SYE is not required and some at 4.5" won't need one either. It really depends on your jeep and the only way to know is if you get it installed..
i also read that guys remove the "flat" looking stabilized leaf out to lower it 3/4.. i think i am gonna do that tomorrow and see if that works out
Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by MUKAK
bought my 2dr jeep with a 3 inch front lift ( rancho 9000 shcks, Pro Comp Boxed type LCAs, Rancho springs, adj drag bar) i measured the front for lift height and it measured 9 1/2 inches from tube to frame

now the weird part.. in the rear it looks like it has a stock leaf srping with a 2 inch block in between the u bolt and stock shackles.. i also measured the back and its just a tad over 9 inched from tube to frame

today i went to a local 4X store and they recommended me a Pro Comp 3 inch complete leafs to make my ride better ( currently very stiff in back) http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...QE3753111.html

after reading up on these springs i see that they raise the XJ to more like 4 inches which i really dont want/need....i really dont wanna do a SYE, will i be ok with these or should i return them and get something else?

i dont have any pics of it but here is a pic from a CL add i bought it from for reference http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3454507896.html

please advice.. i will be doing the install tomorrow
Most likely wont need sye with this lift older xjs seem more forgiving removeing bottom spring will soften up ride but weaken the pack.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freegdr
Most likely wont need sye with this lift older xjs seem more forgiving removeing bottom spring will soften up ride but weaken the pack.
thats what i wanted to hear! i dont care if i have to buy new leafs in a few years as long as i get a softer ride.

thanks