Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JK Moab wheels on xj, wider tire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default JK Moab wheels on xj, wider tire?

Hi guys,

I've got a highly modified XJ that I have been building for over a year now. I bought a set of 5 JK Moab 17 inch wheels and stock 255 tires to put on my 4.5 inch long arm lift with bushwacker flat flares. I'm not happy with the width I have achieved with the JK wheels and wheel spacer/adaptors. I don't want to go up to 35's. I don't mind going up to 33's, but I want a wider track. What size tire can I go with without rubbing? I don't think 33's will be a problem with the flares. I'm more worried about rubbing on the steering/knuckle. Where can I head from here?
Old 11-27-2011, 04:11 AM

The difference between 33's and 35's isn't going to change your width or rubbing other than rubbing fenders. The average 33 is 12.5" as is the average 35. What you are looking to do is push the tire out further. For that you need less back space (i.e. different wheels). Your wheel adapters should have pushed your wheels out some but, if thats not enough for you then those wheels just aren't what you're looking for. Going to a wider tire will give you a bit wider of a foot print (33 and 35 are heights not widths) but your wheels are going to kinda suck the tires in rather than spred them out and limit your width.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:17 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0
Default Mamba mr1

If your set on Moab wheels these are replicas that come in 4.75" back spacing 5x5. Their expensive but if you have 5 jk wheels you can sell 4 of them to offset the cost and keep the 5th as a spare. So basically you bought the set to sell 4 jk wheels and keep 5 tires and a wheel.

I'm almost in the same position as you. I have jk wheels and adapters and I'm about to buy 265 width duratracs. How many inches is your setup inset from the edge of the BW flares front and rear ad how much space is the between the leafs and tire. Thanks.