Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep XJ vibration/grinding noise while decelerating.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 03:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 IL6
Default Jeep XJ vibration/grinding noise while decelerating.

I’ve got a question concerning a grinding noise/ vibration when I decelerate. It’s been going on for a few months now and I first noticed it after I put a small lift under my Jeep. At first i thought it might have something to do with the u-joints so I replaced them on the rear drive shaft (the vibrations seem to be coming from somewhere behind me). The lift was an inch in the back (iron rock off-road drop shackles) and an inch and a half in the front (spring spacers). The rear already had been lifted slightly before the new shackles because I put in new heavy duty springs and since the springs were new they didn’t sag like the old ones. So I ended up with about an inch and a half to two inches overall. My current assumption is that the rear driveshaft angles are too severe now and either need a transfer case drop or shims for the rear axle or both. (Of corse there’s the sye option but I don’t want to go that route if I don’t have to). So I guess my question is, does anyone here agree that this is most likely the problem? And if so should I do the t case drop or the wedge shims for the axle, or both? And how much of a drop? Or is that not the problem at all? Keep in mind it only happens while I DEcelerate and I have a pretty minor lift. It’s a 99 xj by the way. Thanks in advance!

Ps I can add pictures of the driveshaft angles if that would be helpful.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 IL6

Obviously no one replied but I just installed a transfer case drop (rough country) and it took all that vibration away. For anyone who might someday find this.