Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep project set list!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep project set list!

Hey guys! i've got my 1995 Jeep Cherokee XJ. I have some rusty rocker panels and floor pans are all pretty well gone! Well luckily my dad is a mechanic and works at a fabrication shop! We are going to pull the seats and carpet all out of the truck and get them completely clean and rust free! After thats done i will re-bedline the underneath being im from Minnesota it gets a little rusty! Once thats all done and its repainted the same color blue, it will be lifted 3 inches with new front coil springs, and 2 inch blocks in the rear with a 1 inch shackle.(I dont like AAL because they sag after a while). For rims, i know a guy that has a set of used cragar D-widows that are a 15x10. Unsure about the backspacing but i believe either 4" or 3.75" like usual. Im planning on getting a set of 31 1050 15 Goodyear Authority. The ones only walmart carries. Yes that is a wide rim for that tire but i am not going to be driving this truck hard, its my DD and i want it to have a wide stance. I would like to find or make some beadlock rings and n weld them on. If you have a setup like this PICTURES WOULD BE GREAT! I want any suggestions, or anything that helps but i dont want any bashing or "hate" this is what im going to do but open to suggestions!

thanks guys!!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 PM

Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by justin.franklin
Hey guys! i've got my 1995 Jeep Cherokee XJ. I have some rusty rocker panels and floor pans are all pretty well gone! Well luckily my dad is a mechanic and works at a fabrication shop! We are going to pull the seats and carpet all out of the truck and get them completely clean and rust free! After thats done i will re-bedline the underneath being im from Minnesota it gets a little rusty! Once thats all done and its repainted the same color blue, it will be lifted 3 inches with new front coil springs, and 2 inch blocks in the rear with a 1 inch shackle.(I dont like AAL because they sag after a while). For rims, i know a guy that has a set of used cragar D-widows that are a 15x10. Unsure about the backspacing but i believe either 4" or 3.75" like usual. Im planning on getting a set of 31 1050 15 Goodyear Authority. The ones only walmart carries. Yes that is a wide rim for that tire but i am not going to be driving this truck hard, its my DD and i want it to have a wide stance. I would like to find or make some beadlock rings and n weld them on. If you have a setup like this PICTURES WOULD BE GREAT! I want any suggestions, or anything that helps but i dont want any bashing or "hate" this is what im going to do but open to suggestions! thanks guys!!

About that 2" block... I know you said it's a dd and all...so not that much stress will be put on the leafs. unlike most of the guys rigs on here including myself. I and many other would still suggest full leaf packs, or what even might be better, if your leafs are in good shape get a set of shackle relocation brackets that give you alittle lift, like the rc or hd off-road bolt ons, and your extended shackle.. Then you can adjust the angle, which leads to more or less lift and better or worse ride depending on how "level" you want it.

Just my opinion...
Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 616_95xj
About that 2" block... I know you said it's a dd and all...so not that much stress will be put on the leafs. unlike most of the guys rigs on here including myself. I and many other would still suggest full leaf packs, or what even might be better, if your leafs are in good shape get a set of shackle relocation brackets that give you alittle lift, like the rc or hd off-road bolt ons, and your extended shackle.. Then you can adjust the angle, which leads to more or less lift and better or worse ride depending on how "level" you want it. Just my opinion...
Thanks for the feedback! Well the bracket the blocks sit on has the same surface area and same size as the block. It's just lifting the leaf up higher so it shouldn't effect my leafs. In my opinion anyway!
Old 02-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Year: 97

Originally Posted by justin.franklin
Thanks for the feedback! Well the bracket the blocks sit on has the same surface area and same size as the block. It's just lifting the leaf up higher so it shouldn't effect my leafs. In my opinion anyway!
No problem. And I understand your thinking. I was there once.

Now my question is, is this thing going to get off-road? At all? Never, okay. Blocks will be okay for the street driven show rigs, yes. Oh, it's going off road? The Xj has notoriously "soft/weak" leafs, yes the block just "raises" the leafs, or "lowers" the axle which ever you prefer... But with that lowering or lifting, you add greater leverage on that 2.5"x4 inch surface area of contact on the leafs. When you punch the gas pedal, all the stress of the axle wanting to rotate forward gets transferred to that small area of contact, in turn wearing the leaves faster, possibilities of spitting the block out. So on and so forth. I've done blocks before...it worked for a bit, then I learned my lesson and I will NEVER go back to a block.

Again only what I've learned.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

AAL tend to sag, but blocks will turn your leafs into S's. Lift it right, especially if you ever plan to wheel it. and hell yeah that rim is way wide for those tires. And on the tires, go to walmart get a printed quote for them, take it to discount have them price match and get real GY Wrangler Duratracs.