Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jeep Cherokee won't roll in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Cherokee won't roll in reverse.

So far I haven't found anything related to this on the internet after an hour of searching so I thought I would try it out here. I have a 97 jeep Cherokee that I have built from the ground up and iv only been wheeling about 3 years now gotta say I love it. Anyway I just switched to new axles hooked them all up and left the front drive shaft out because of a broken yoke finally replaced the yoke last night put the drive shaft on and put it in drive and rolls perfect in forward I go to put it in reverse and it rolls a quarter turn of the tire and it stops or locks up I guess. I have a air locker in the front but it's not on so I'm at a loss. Anybody have any ideas on what it could be? I also am on 35's if that helps any
Old 11-06-2016, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Transmission fluid level & condition?
Old 11-06-2016, 06:31 PM

The fluid level is normal and condition of the transmission is fine. The only problem I had was that it wouldn't shift into the last gear but I flushed out the transmission and put new fluid in and worked fine ever since. I can put it in 4 low and it will go in reverse but it won't drive in reverse in 2 wheel drive high
Old 11-06-2016, 06:37 PM
CF Veteran

Sounds like your issue is with the transfer case and/or linkage.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:08 PM

I thought it might have been but I wasn't 100% sure. And I don't think it would be in my chunk because it rolls forward just fine. Do you think my locker could be locked without the air compressor on?
Old 11-06-2016, 07:15 PM
CF Veteran

Here's how to adjust the linkage:
If it's all boogered up:
http://www.boostwerksengineering.com...ans-_p_25.html
Old 11-06-2016, 07:33 PM

But I don't think it would be a linkage problem because it can go into 4 wheel drive just fine
Old 11-19-2016, 11:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterDriftKing
So far I haven't found anything related to this on the internet after an hour of searching so I thought I would try it out here. I have a 97 jeep Cherokee that I have built from the ground up and iv only been wheeling about 3 years now gotta say I love it. Anyway I just switched to new axles hooked them all up and left the front drive shaft out because of a broken yoke finally replaced the yoke last night put the drive shaft on and put it in drive and rolls perfect in forward I go to put it in reverse and it rolls a quarter turn of the tire and it stops or locks up I guess. I have a air locker in the front but it's not on so I'm at a loss. Anybody have any ideas on what it could be? I also am on 35's if that helps any

My guess is that you've got a bad pinion bearing and things are binding. Check yokes for slop.