Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Issue: New 31's rubbing one out // will spacers cure my woes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Issue: New 31's rubbing one out // will spacers cure my woes?

Hello everyone I am new to this forum but have had multiple
Jeeps, Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, and currently call my 99 Hunter Green Cherokee Limited my DD. I run a 3 inch lift with 2 inch spacers on the front and have the bastard pack s-10 leaf concoction on the rear netting about 5 inches of lift. I have an adjustable trac bar installed and brand new shocks.

So, I recently mounted up my 31 in 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on stock 2004 Wrangler Rubicon rims. My passenger side likes to rub the fender flare - not even at full click. I would have figured that at roughly 5 inches of lift, my 31's should clear. It seems they don't, and when the lady rides with it rubs like a ***** slow maneuvering parking lots (and shes not exactly a big girl lol).

My conundrum, go with a bigger spring or toss on some spacers? I am not taking off the fender flares, nor am I running a different rim as I think the combo looks fantastic and how Jeep should have done them from the factory. I could go with a 4.5 in spring as there is a guy selling a set cheap, but if spacers would fix the issue than I would assume go that route.

Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Issue: New 31's rubbing one out // will spacers cure my woes?-img_20130808_203338_897.jpg  
Old 12-08-2013, 09:45 PM

To clarify, up front I have 2 in coil spring spacers and 3 inch rough countrys, no wheel spacers.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

and when the lady rides with it rubs like a ***** slow maneuvering parking lots (and shes not exactly a big girl lol).
You sure you're in the right forum?? LOL

Nice XJ! Wheel spacers and new lower control arms should do you good. Do you have aftermarket arms?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:17 PM

Still running the stock stamped control arms. I sort of pieced my lift together from salvage yards and craigslist and haven't run across a decent set yet.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Check the classifieds there's a few guys selling LCA, if you like your rims you can go with spacers, but I know there are people who would tell you not to put spacers on your dd and go with a new set of rims with a different back spacing. Then again some people do it every day so that's your choice. I tend to side with the non spacer option but that's my .02. Your xj looks good man and welcome to the forum.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:00 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: Stock stright 6 4.0

If you plan on off roading i suggest you do not use spacers, they can put to much strain on the lugs and cause them to fail. If you use small spacers and dont go off roading, you should be fine. I never suggest more then a 1inch spacer.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

Where's it rubbing on the fender? I'm assuming it rubs on the back.

Have the exact same set of tires on a 3" lift and they don't rub at all.

Maybe the extra lift you have has the axle pushed a little farther back than mine...
Old 12-09-2013, 09:19 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6, k&n replacement filter, Magnaflow

Its most likely rubbing on the front fender flare directly behind the bumper, The lowest part of it. That's very common.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:04 AM

Clean xj and I spotted an Ohio plate! Go bucks! Anyways I got a 4.5 RC on mine runnin 33's. Used to rub on the same spot as yours just a bit, I put a winch bumper on it and now there's no rubbing at all.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:04 PM

Year: 1999

rubbing one out
Old 12-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994

Originally Posted by Gimpy
If you plan on off roading i suggest you do not use spacers, they can put to much strain on the lugs and cause them to fail. If you use small spacers and dont go off roading, you should be fine. I never suggest more then a 1inch spacer.
Why would this be true assuming he uses the adapter style spacers that have their own lugs?
Old 12-09-2013, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sreeb
Why would this be true assuming he uses the adapter style spacers that have their own lugs?
I beat my spacers and my jeep to death. They work awesome. The cherokee does not have enough lug for any spacer except the ones that come with studs. We use them on one ton trucks. They are pretty bullet proof. Never a problem.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Keyser_Zosig
Hello everyone I am new to this forum but have had multiple
Jeeps, Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, and currently call my 99 Hunter Green Cherokee Limited my DD. I run a 3 inch lift with 2 inch spacers on the front and have the bastard pack s-10 leaf concoction on the rear netting about 5 inches of lift. I have an adjustable trac bar installed and brand new shocks.

So, I recently mounted up my 31 in 245/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on stock 2004 Wrangler Rubicon rims. My passenger side likes to rub the fender flare - not even at full click. I would have figured that at roughly 5 inches of lift, my 31's should clear. It seems they don't, and when the lady rides with it rubs like a ***** slow maneuvering parking lots (and shes not exactly a big girl lol).

My conundrum, go with a bigger spring or toss on some spacers? I am not taking off the fender flares, nor am I running a different rim as I think the combo looks fantastic and how Jeep should have done them from the factory. I could go with a 4.5 in spring as there is a guy selling a set cheap, but if spacers would fix the issue than I would assume go that route.

Any tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

With spacers or anything wider you will rub more. And honestly your back end does not look anywhere close to 5in. I run 33's with 3in. But you will need to trim some and bump stop.

Also I am surprised you don't rub the stock lca's?
Old 12-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Do you have a new track bar or relocated track bar? If one side of the axle sticks out further than the other one tire may rub more. Technically the drivers side would rub more because a to short track bar pulls the axle to the drivers side and opposite for a to long track bar.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:25 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: Stock stright 6 4.0

Originally Posted by sreeb
I had spacers on mine, 1 inch, worked great on road, off road had major issues. Put a lot of strain on the lugs, you can fit them but think about the math, putting the weight further out on a object will cause it to be weaker with a lower breaking point.

I am sure there are ways to make it just as strong, but like i said, I dont recommend them. Now, othesr may love them, but for me, it is not worth the risk or money to do it right.

Quick Reply: Issue: New 31's rubbing one out // will spacers cure my woes?