Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Rock Offroad Track Bar Flex Joint

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L
Default Iron Rock Offroad Track Bar Flex Joint

So I stumbled across this for the first time the other day: http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10643.html

I like the idea of this because I could just replace my bushing with this and know it will fit but I couldn't find anybody online that has run one or any reviews.

I've never seen a joint like this with all the bolts holding it together like that. Also it only deflects +/- 13 degrees which isn't very much at all but it might be enough for the track bar. From the pictures it looks like they sacrificed some flex for strength.

I don't really want to be the guinea pig on this because I'm not super confident in it. Is there somewhere I can buy a johnny that is 1.64" wide with a 7/8"-14 shank?

edit: just calculated that the flex joint will give just over +/- 6" of travel based off of a 30" control arm.

Last edited by XJlimitedx99; 05-13-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

There's a few threads on his joint, or at least IRO flex joints in general. I wouldn't run one, they don't seem to last, and there is no warranty on it. Is there something wrong with the poly bushings that came with the IRO track bar? I ran the poly's for ever and never had a problem, ride, flex, or other.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the heads up on that. I couldn't find any info on it. I'm just trying to get some more flex and less binding out of my current setup. I'm going to be eventually doing OTK steering and moving the trackbar up so I want a joint in there to keep up with the flex. I kind of want to stay away from heims but I haven't found a small enough joint that would fit in my current trackbar bracket.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
Thanks for the heads up on that. I couldn't find any info on it. I'm just trying to get some more flex and less binding out of my current setup. I'm going to be eventually doing OTK steering and moving the trackbar up so I want a joint in there to keep up with the flex. I kind of want to stay away from heims but I haven't found a small enough joint that would fit in my current trackbar bracket.
I run heims on the TB and haven't had a single issue yet, both 3/4 and now 7/8. I'd just keep the poly bushing until you're ready to upgrade.

The few threads I've seen were on other forums, I think NAXJA, but it was long ago when I had the IRO double shear.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O

I also run IRO flex joint on the frame side works great no problem at all. I pull it apart once a year clean it and grease it.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by timamybrown
I also run IRO flex joint on the frame side works great no problem at all. I pull it apart once a year clean it and grease it.
How long have you had it? DD or woods rig? I want to try to because of how convenient it will be for me but also don't want to kick myself in the rear end if I end up redoing my track bar setup.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O

Originally Posted by XJlimitedx99
How long have you had it? DD or woods rig? I want to try to because of how convenient it will be for me but also don't want to kick myself in the rear end if I end up redoing my track bar setup.

I've been running for a almost two years. I daily and wheel my xj their no need to change anything on the track bar it just takes the place of the bushing so if need be you could always go back.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:04 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by timamybrown
I've been running for a almost two years. I daily and wheel my xj their no need to change anything on the track bar it just takes the place of the bushing so if need be you could always go back.
Good point. I think I might end up giving it a shot. Thanks for the review.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:49 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

I do not see the use of this joint being any better than standard poly. Perhaps for radius control arm setup due to the rotation of axle tube when suspension cycles, but fame side of a double-shear track bar has a joint that should accommodate that rotation.
Three-link and four-link suspensions, the axle tube travels on a mostly vertical plane.
What usually binds is the stock steering, it should not be used for anything over 4.5' due to the rod-ends being near maximum deflection at ride height.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
I do not see the use of this joint being any better than standard poly. Perhaps for radius control arm setup due to the rotation of axle tube when suspension cycles, but fame side of a double-shear track bar has a joint that should accommodate that rotation. Three-link and four-link suspensions, the axle tube travels on a mostly vertical plane. What usually binds is the stock steering, it should not be used for anything over 4.5' due to the rod-ends being near maximum deflection at ride height.
I agree with Steve, I would keep the poly. I believe the few bad threads I read were in a control arm application, not a track bar, so my opinion is based on that. One was on jeep forum I just googled it.

If you're upgrading soon then no sense in spending money twice, even if not for another year, the poly isn't going to limit flex in a track bar that much.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

I currently have poly bushings at both ends. This will be used in the frame end with a radius arm suspension.